• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you guys handle your carry gun while at home?

As someone who once had a medical emergency in my home I don't buy into this. When someone is having a heart attack and you're calling 911 unlocked guns is the last thing on your mind.

Aren't there numerous documented cases where this has happened? At least instances where the police were at the residence for a different reason and someone got jammed up for improper storage?

i usually just hand it to one of my kids to put on the kitchen counter for me. The 2 year old can't reach and it isn't safe for her to stand up on the chairs, so it takes teamwork with the 4 year old, but they get it done.

Buy a cheap ass HFT (or the like) cheap push button safe they're like 69 a piece. Throw one on each floor in anticipation of that lazy moment when you would just "put it down for a second". Use a real safe for serious storage but these easily do the trick, access is cake unless you are completely inept(at which point you shouldn't be handling anything sharper than a basketball anyways). I come home hang up my gear and throw it in a push button safe one in the bedroom one in my office and one in a common area like a living room. Then you have no excuses easy access everywhere. If you need to leave it behind put it in an actual safe but for hanging out or night time it meets the requirements and is functional. For all you combat couch potatoes who say anyone can break into those things you are right for long term storage they suck but how I use them and how the OP would need them they are just fine. Flame on flamers!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

When I lived in CT and didn't have kids, I hid my home defense gun under a false air register in the bedroom. I consider that to be a better solution than a cheap lock box because its faster and probably less likely to be found by a burglar.

Remember a burglar has a few minutes in the house. (if you have an alarm). In my case he'd have been dealing with a screaming alarm and a dog barking at him and pacing back and forth.

All that changed when I had kids. Kids have years to figure out where you hide things and to look for them even if they don't know where they are. So my protocol was that any gun was either on me or in a safe.

I continued that when I moved to MA a few years ago.

Re the other questions.

I am always armed when I am home and not naked. If I'm carrying something larger, I may put it in the safe and stick my Kahr P380 in my pocket.

Which leads me to another point. When you take the gun off for any reason. Don't remove it from the holster. Just take the entire holster off and put it in the safe. Its faster and safer. And it encourages another good habit. The fact that when you open the safe you know that any gun in a holster can be COUNTED ON to be loaded.

I know that any gun in my safe in a holster is loaded. This is comforting to my wife if I'm not home and she hears a bump in the night.

The OP asks about putting a pistol on a table while he gets something from the refrigerator.

That's probably legal. But why? Why would you put yourself in a situation where you can fail?

You walk in the house carrying a gun. Don't take it off until you are standing in front of the safe where you will stow it.

One other protocol I have is that I never EVER remove a gun unless I'm standing in the place where I'm going to store it. I do this because I have taken off a gun (just for a minute) to do something like get a drink, then become distracted and walked away from it.

Bad bad bad. Fortunately this was before I had kids. It spooked me, and now my process is simple.

The gun doesn't come off me until it can go into the safe.

There is no reason to ever have to put a loaded gun on a table while you get or do something.

My guiding principle in dealing with anything related to guns is to try to remove the chance for human error. I don't put myself in situatins where failing to remember something creates a bad situation.

Don

On my person or in the safe. It's up to the guy breaking in to guess which.

Wasn't there some case about a guy who got popped for improper storage because it was sitting out on his coffee table when the paramedics came to deal with his heart attack?

On my person or in the safe. It's up to the guy breaking in to guess which.

Wasn't there some case about a guy who got popped for improper storage because it was sitting out on his coffee table when the paramedics came to deal with his heart attack?

Kitchen table. He was cleaning the gun when he had the heart attack and called 911.

Kitchen table. He was cleaning the gun when he had the heart attack and called 911.

This is why I leave my guncleaning shit all over the place, lol! (At least I try to convince my wife of that!) In truth, I've probably cleaned my guns in every room at some point...

But regards to letting it sit around unlocked in other rooms even if you live alone, all you need to know what NOT to do is in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHO6nBc4YFU

IWB, or holstered within arm's reach, or locked "when not in use". But really, when is a legal, concealed-carry licensed gun-owner's gun not "in use" to protect him and his loved one at home or outside?

IMHO "when not in use" is "NEVER" since it is for my 24/7/365 protection for ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES, including home defense. So, a loaded pistol/rifle next to me while sleeping constitutes IN USE in the same way a working SMOKE DETECTOR, or CELL PHONE (to call 9-1-1) does (no kids or foreseeable trespasser or course)...

Ok...I lock my stuff up when sleeping/not home....I don't want to be the test case, lol. But just some food for thought haha....

EDITED out a part that had me accidentally parsing the GOAL summary of Mass law for smartassed loopholes when in fact it was not the actual law I was quoting. Removed so no one gets any ideas of the law based on my error.

Last edited:
Roll Il Duce style, sweats/shorts be damned. [laugh]

31882517655_04b133f5c1_o.jpg

"Handling" a gun gives more opportunity for a ND. Better to holster it and leave it there on your person when home. Less "handling" is better for personal protection and safety.
^^This is so true. My carry gun is either on me or 'stored safely'. By 'stored safely' I mean that there's one place in the house where a loaded gun is stored and any loaded gun is either there or on me.

The important point is that your gun shouldn't be like your car keys. You know how when you're ready to leave the house, but you can't remember where you left your keys? That shouldn't be your gun. It should always be in the same place all the time. My wife doesn't carry a gun, but she always knows where to find a loaded one. She doesn't have to go looking for it (like she does with the car keys).

No change in carry. Sometimes a holster change but I carry at home. The first reason is pretty obvious. The other reason is that I want to acclimate my children to the fact that it's not a taboo and helps demystify them.

I generally have "carry guns" and "at home lounging guns." Sounds kinda weird, I know. Usually, my carry guns, which are always chambered, go into one of my safes, chambered. I have a bed side quick safe that always has a chambered auto in it. If I'm just lounging at home, I throw a polymer pistol in an uncle mikes neoprene IWB and carry it, usually in appendix position. But when doing so, it's generally not chambered. My logic is that I fall asleep when I lounge and sometimes when I stand up the uncle mikes doesn't do a great job securing my weapon or protecting the trigger, but it's super comfy when In sweats. if there's an oops moment, there's nothing chambered. I figure it takes me less time to rack a slide then it does to get to a safe, punch a combo and retrieve the gun.

Depending on the size of the pistol, I sometimes have to secure the holster IWB sweats and boxers, so there's enough tension to hold the gun up, if that makes sense?

That said, any time I'm fully dressed, I'm chambered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Handling" a gun gives more opportunity for a ND. Better to holster it and leave it there on your person when home. Less "handling" is better for personal protection and safety.

Which is why people should slide/clip their holster off their belt/out of their pocket with their gun in it and put the entire package into a safe rather than unholstering and reholstering their gun everyday.

If you guys are carrying when your out of the house etc do you put your pistol in your safe when you get home? If you're anything like me when I get home I change out of my work attire and put on some sweatpants or shorts etc and those don't work well for holding a holster.

I know the MA laws are strict about a gun being in your possession, but am I overthinking it if I'm worried about leaving my pistol on the table while I grab something from the refrigerator? I don't feel like I can protect my house very well if my guns are locked in a safe in another room.

Back locked in the safe. Have a 4 year old and toddler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No change in carry. Sometimes a holster change but I carry at home. The first reason is pretty obvious. The other reason is that I want to acclimate my children to the fact that it's not a taboo and helps demystify them.

Couldn't have said it any better.

It's always on me, except when I go to bed. Then it goes in the lockbox.

Belly band holster that I wear under sweats etc. Generally will only carry a pocket 380 (bodygaurd) with it. Glock 26 is a bit heavy for it.

Back
Top Bottom