• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you guys handle your carry gun while at home?

i keep most out of kid reach, high up in case of someone coming over with some miniature humans. When I'm at home I keep one right on the coffee table with a magazine over it like car and driver.
When the nieces and nephews visit, my wife and I unload the handguns. She keeps two fully-loaded 15-round Glock mags close at hand and I keep two HKS speedloaders stoked with 125-grain .357 hollowpoints, also close at hand. If a break in or home invasion happens during the visit, the weapons can be brought into action fairly quickly. Last thing we need is another child-shooting incident. BTW, has anyone heard anymore about that poor little girl on Cape Cod who accidentally shot herself in the hand? I hope her condition is improving.

No change in carry. Sometimes a holster change but I carry at home. The first reason is pretty obvious. The other reason is that I want to acclimate my children to the fact that it's not a taboo and helps demystify them.

This is a good point, I have a 2yr and 4yr my wife always wanted me to refer to my carry gun as a tool, I usually have knives and tape measures drill bits etc in my pockets that my kids refer to tools and are not allowed to touch so it fit the bill. The other day my daughter pointed at my gun and said "what's that one?" I said it's one of daddy's tools to which she replied "no dad, that ones a gun" so i said your right baby and it's one of my tools but if you ever see a gun what do you do? "I don't touch it and I find a grown up".

Planning to start in with air guns for her pretty soon if she wants, she likes archery and has asked about shooting at the gun club when we have been there for archery or fishing.

Many of you must live in south Compton if you need to be strapped while washing the dishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of you must live in south Compton if you need to be strapped while washing the dishes.
What is this "need" you speak of? Carrying at all times is a choice, based on a right, that I and others make because no one can absolutely guarantee that there is a certain time of day that something cannot happen. It's easier for me to carry than to try to figure when not to.

What is this "need" you speak of? Carrying at all times is a choice, based on a right, that I and others make because no one can absolutely guarantee that there is a certain time of day that something cannot happen. It's easier for me to carry than to try to figure when not to.

What I mean is. When I am out and about I carry. If something did go down I'm somewhat defenseless unless it's one on one. In my house if some is trying to get in (while I'm not sleeping) I'm feel quite confident with my bag or a meat cleaver in close quarters. And def enough time to go get a handgun if needed.
It is def more comfortable to not carry so when I am home I have no gun and no wallet strapped to me. Yes it's anyone's right if t want they want to carry around the house.

What I mean is. When I am out and about I carry. If something did go down I'm somewhat defenseless unless it's one on one. In my house if some is trying to get in (while I'm not sleeping) I'm feel quite confident with my bag or a meat cleaver in close quarters. And def enough time to go get a handgun if needed.
It is def more comfortable to not carry so when I am home I have no gun and no wallet strapped to me. Yes it's anyone's right if t want they want to carry around the house.

Not all of us want to holster a meat cleaver when home. [laugh]

Also don't want a perp to get that close to you to use it either. Distance is your friend!!!

When in doubt....
Gun_Xray.jpg

If I could know the time and place when I would "need" a gun, I would simply avoid that place at that time.

Since I'm not omniscient, I always either carry, or have a gun nearby. For those occasions (like work) where I can do neither, I pay attention to my exits, and to everything within reach that could be used as a weapon.

Which is why people should slide/clip their holster off their belt/out of their pocket with their gun in it and put the entire package into a safe rather than unholstering and reholstering their gun everyday.

I said this in my post on the previous page, but its worth repeating. Take the whole thing off and put the whole thing on.

The added bonus is that if your spouse ever needs a gun and she goes into your safe she KNOWS that she can count on any gun in a holster being loaded with a round in the pipe, i.e. ready to go.

- - - Updated - - -

When the nieces and nephews visit, my wife and I unload the handguns. She keeps two fully-loaded 15-round Glock mags close at hand and I keep two HKS speedloaders stoked with 125-grain .357 hollowpoints, also close at hand. If a break in or home invasion happens during the visit, the weapons can be brought into action fairly quickly. Last thing we need is another child-shooting incident. BTW, has anyone heard anymore about that poor little girl on Cape Cod who accidentally shot herself in the hand? I hope her condition is improving.

I don't get it. Why would you unload the handguns if they are on you, or in a safe?

I live in a home with a 7 and 8 year old. Lets forget the fact that they are "bulletproofed" (dad begs them to come shooting about once a week. There is no mystery to a gun)

All my carry guns always remain loaded. Why is this safe? Because they are either on me or inside a safe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom