How do you guys handle your carry gun while at home?

If you guys are carrying when your out of the house etc do you put your pistol in your safe when you get home? If you're anything like me when I get home I change out of my work attire and put on some sweatpants or shorts etc and those don't work well for holding a holster.

I know the MA laws are strict about a gun being in your possession, but am I overthinking it if I'm worried about leaving my pistol on the table while I grab something from the refrigerator? I don't feel like I can protect my house very well if my guns are locked in a safe in another room.

1. Is there a child in the house?
2. Are you worried the AG will walk into your house the second you get up to grab something from the refrigerator?

I just carry on my person. You either have to adapt to carry or not. I don't leave my gun sitting around anywhere out of habit.

How about a cotton gun belt or one of those belly band type holders.

Last edited:
Lounging around the house I'll strap on the Smartcarry.

0_152351__33813.1418413737.1280.1280.jpg

Goes in the quick safe in bedroom unless I plan to go back out.
With two dogs as early warning system, safe neighborhood and three teens coming and going not too concerned with carrying around confines of home.

Last edited:
Mexican carry my Glock with one in the chamber because whats the worst that could happen...... [rofl]JK

Throw my 17 in my easy access safe and carry my 43 in my sweatpants pocket without one in the chamber.

Summer....pocket carry smaller gun as I always wear shorts and a T-Shirt. So this is for inside and outside the house

Winter - I wear a north face fleece jacket and I pocket carry in the home. Outside I clip on my alien gear to my belt and owb while wearing a jacket...

1. Is there a child in the house?
2. Are you worried the AG will walk into your house the second you get up to grab something from the refrigerator?

As someone who once had a medical emergency in my home I don't buy into this. When someone is having a heart attack and you're calling 911 unlocked guns is the last thing on your mind.

As someone who once had a medical emergency in my home I don't buy into this. When someone is having a heart attack and you're calling 911 unlocked guns is the last thing on your mind.

That's a good point...should add point 3:

3. OP, are you at risk of having a heart attack and might need to call 911?

Last edited:
You'll have to decide what's best for your situation. Someone who lives alone in a bad neighborhood has different requirements than someone who has a busy household with children/family/friends/friends of the children coming in and out. I've heard of folks locking everything up and I've heard of folks hiding a firearm in every room of the house. I suspect a lot of avid gun folks have a primary safe in the basement or on the first floor where they lock up the bulk of an expensive gun collection and then they have a smaller quick access safe for a handgun/shotgun/AR located in a bedroom. Don't expect too many folks on here to admit to violating storage laws, though.

A lot folks carry a compact or sub-compact while they're out but have a more powerful dedicated firearm for home defense. If someone breaks into your house while you're home then they're a crazy MOFO or they're there for YOU not your stuff so you might need a firearm that really can take care of business. Consider options like a full-size that you can get pre-ban mags for or maybe a shotgun or AR. Lights, lasers and night sights can be especially useful on a home defense firearm to make sure you identify the target, hit the correct target and only the correct target. There are tons of articles (and arguments) online about what is the ideal home defense firearm and home defense ammo.

If I'm wearing pants or shorts with a belt than I will be carrying it. If not it will usually be on my night stand or on an end table if I'm hanging out in the living room. The only time my carry gun gets locked up inside the home is if I have to leave home without it.

I just leave loaded guns laying around my house so I don't have to take more than 1 or 2 steps to get to one. No I'm not kidding.
i keep most out of kid reach, high up in case of someone coming over with some miniature humans. When I'm at home I keep one right on the coffee table with a magazine over it like car and driver.

If I'm wearing pants or shorts with a belt than I will be carrying it. If not it will usually be on my night stand or on an end table if I'm hanging out in the living room. The only time my carry gun gets locked up inside the home is if I have to leave home without it.
This. Live alone. Kids away in college. No pets. Sketchy neighborhood, so need quick access, though I have never had any real problems. Most anyone who visits is pro-gun so they don't freak out if they see it and they know to keep their hands to themselves.

No kids nor strange room-mates here. Carry goes on a dresser in my bedroom inside its holster fully loaded. Its about as likely I'm going to need the gun than it is that somebody's going to get hurt from it sitting there.

Always have Elsie Pea in my pocket unless I'm in bed, then it's on my bed stand. No kids or pets. Grandkids do visit from time to time but rarely for overnight. If the occasion calls for it then even Elsie Pea goes in the safe overnight with her brothers and sisters. As much as I hate being past arms reach from one my firearms, the possibility, even remote as it is, that one of my grandkids might get hurt (or worse) from accidentally finding one of my guns outside the safe and off my person is too terrible for me to ever contemplate.

I just leave loaded guns laying around my house so I don't have to take more than 1 or 2 steps to get to one. No I'm not kidding.

This x 100.

No kids.
No AG in the neighborhood.
No neighbors coming over unexpectedly. Though I wouldn't care if they did.
No unlicensed people in the house.
No guns out of eye shot.

I don't wear lounge wear so when I get home from work I take my work boots and coat off and usually switch to an OWB holster for comfort and since I'll be crawling around with the kids walking the dog taking the trash out etc.. I carry a G30 with a 10rd mag and a 13rd spare

goes in a lockbox in my night stand when I shower or sleep. I only put it in the safe if I'm leaving without it for some reason

Back
Top Bottom