How best to go from CCW to vehicle trunk in public

First time poster, just signed up for an NES membership (woot), so here's my first question:

I frequently drive into several metro areas for business. If I am CCW on my person but would like to stow the firearm in the "trunk" when I go into my destination, what is the best method to do this? A wrinkle is that I have a hatchback - how do people normally handle this situation without alerting any bystanders? Or do you just leave everything at home?

I am aware of the carry laws while driving and also while parking and leaving a firearm in a vehicle... but I need to know how to get from A to B the best way. Perhaps an IWB holster isn't the best thing for when I'm headed into the city? Just curious what everyone here recommends.

Glad to be a part of NES, this place kicks a$$!

-Kenny

First, I don't habitually carry, but I will say this: Why are you not keeping it on you?

If you are entering a place where guns are officially verboten, any locked container will suffice WRT the laws. Persoanlly, I'd have said container in the footwell of the passenger seat, so you can remove the gun without everyone seeing it, and put it back likewise.

As a further safety measure, you can cable-lock the contaner to the seat frame.

Oh, and welcome

1) Just carry it if you can (ie, you're not going to a school or federal building)

2) If you must ditch it before leaving the car, take it out while IN the car, stow it in a case of some sort (pistol case, one of those small safes, etc) and then either keep that in the passenger compartment (secured, of course) or put it in the trunk.

First, I don't habitually carry, but I will say this: Why are you not keeping it on you?

If you are entering a place where guns are officially verboten, any locked container will suffice WRT the laws. Persoanlly, I'd have said container in the footwell of the passenger seat, so you can remove the gun without everyone seeing it, and put it back likewise.

As a further safety measure, you can cable-lock the contaner to the seat frame.

Oh, and welcome

This is how I do it with a locked container with cable tie on frame of car seat.
I wait for a good moment or park with my view blocked from one side or another, disarm with the use of a spare jacket or garment for coverage and place into locked container.

This is how I do it with a locked container with cable tie on frame of car seat.

This is what I do too. I also have a hatchback. These little 1 gun lock boxes with security cable can be had for $20-30. It sits behind my drivers seat, with cable lock around the seat belt floor mount.

-JR

Sent from my subspace communicator using Tapatalk

Good advice here. Just for gods sake be casual. Dont act furtive and you wont draw attention.

1) Just carry it if you can (ie, you're not going to a school or federal building)

2) If you must ditch it before leaving the car, take it out while IN the car, stow it in a case of some sort (pistol case, one of those small safes, etc) and then either keep that in the passenger compartment (secured, of course) or put it in the trunk.

Another +1 for this. The little lock box is great for that. I keep cable tied to the seat but it would be fine for transport to and from trunk as well.

Single gun safe, cable locked to seat frame under passenger seat. Disarm in car and store. Reverse process when I return...

I also keep an extra cable lock, C&R copies, and trigger lock in the safe for those impulse purchases...

I wait for a good moment or park with my view blocked from one side or another, disarm with the use of a spare jacket or garment for coverage and place into locked container.

This is what I do too. I also have a hatchback. These little 1 gun lock boxes with security cable can be had for $20-30. It sits behind my drivers seat, with cable lock around the seat belt floor mount.

-JR

Good advice here. Just for gods sake be casual. Dont act furtive and you wont draw attention.

Single gun safe, cable locked to seat frame under passenger seat. Disarm in car and store. Reverse process when I return...

I also keep an extra cable lock, C&R copies, and trigger lock in the safe for those impulse purchases...

This.
And Welcome!

-JR

do this you have to secure whatever the gun is locked in to the car because as you stated, you have a hatchback. So you dont't have a trunk to lock it in. I had a regular cab P/U I did this in for lack of trunk

+1 to all of the above. Unless you are expressly forbidden from carrying where you're going, why take it off at all?

If you do have to remove it, don't over-complicate things: the lockbox in the passenger compartment is perfectly acceptable. I don't know that I'd ever find a good way to take the gun to my trunk, although the paper bag trick is pretty clever. That being said, if I'm already removing/unloading the gun to put it in the bag, I'd rather just lock it up in the passenger compartment with a cable lock for security. In your case since you have a hatchback you'd need a locked container anyway.

Wow guys, thank you for all the responses and the links. I'll be following the collective advice, I really appreciate it!

I'm only concerned about heading into a lot of these meetings, etc. since I'm kind of a skinny guy and I tend to wear "slim fit" dress shirts/pants which tend to not be so great for concealing stuff.

-Kenny

Another +1 on the casual - there were 4 of my neighbors in my apartment complex the other day talking amongst themselves. I made 3 trips to the car to load a whole bunch of ammo and shooting rests and 3 long guns in cases that screamed "gun". No one even noticed.

Does a lockable glove compartment qualify as a 'safe container' ?

The statute just asks for a locked container, not a "safe container". That said, it's not a smart thing if you put any of the car's docs in there with it. Murphy's law dictates you will need those docs at the wrong time.

The statute just asks for a locked container, not a "safe container". That said, it's not a smart thing if you put any of the car's docs in there with it. Murphy's law dictates you will need those docs at the wrong time.

Oh, for sure. It would only be when I'm going into prohibited spaces for a short time.

Good to know. Thanks.

Just a heads up on the single gun lock boxes with the cable. I bought one... they are a joke, and I mean a joke. I broke the PLASTIC LOCK accidently the first time I tried to lock it. When I inspected it, I decided there was nothing secure about it. The company sent me a new lock and it now sits on the shelf here, I would suggest you find another source or method to secure. Granted, nothing will stop a thief, but slowing them down can make a differance. I would rather use the pistol lock and carrying cases with the 2 locks over that.

The first picture is the typical single gun "safe" joke. Notice the black plastic in the center of the locking lever.. that's what broke on mine. The second picture is a standard gun case I've seen anywhere you look for gun accessories, I feel better with that than the 1st one.. I am sure others out there have options they can share besides these 2 that give us some degree of security

Attachments

• Handgun-Secure-It-Fig-002.jpg
    Handgun-Secure-It-Fig-002.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 360000267_lg.jpg
    360000267_lg.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 29
You get what you pay for? I use the Mv500 Microvault

GUNVAULT-Microvault-MV500-Standard-Standard-MV500-STD-Pic1.jpg

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/microvault.html

No lock for the cable as you loop it and one end connects inside he locked vault.

I have been very happy with this. I use the larger model for my nightstand...

I have a mini vault cabled to my seat and it sits under the seat. When I pull up somewhere I don't want to carry into I park, lock my doors (because they unlock when I put the car in park) and stow the gun. I can do this while seated without any strange contortions. I then usually put the holster in the pocket on my door. It's inconspicuous there but I can see it and it acts as a visual reminder to let me know I have locked up my gun in the vehicle so that I retrieve it when I get back in the vehicle.

I fold down the rear seat, crawl into the trunk, stow my piece, then hit the glow in the dark emergency release and come out of the trunk.

Nobody ever says a thing to me.

I just activate my invisibility screen. This allows me to stash my firearms unnoticed. A side benefit is that the car is invisible too so nobody can even find the car let alone my lock-box (BTW.. I thought the law read that unless the firearm was under your direct control, it needed to be locked, unloaded, in a secure container "in the trunk")

_45729211_illusioncar466.jpg

I just activate my invisibility screen. This allows me to stash my firearms unnoticed. A side benefit is that the car is invisible too so nobody can even find the car let alone my lock-box (BTW.. I thought the law read that unless the firearm was under your direct control, it needed to be locked, unloaded, in a secure container "in the trunk")

View attachment 21920

Thats the transport law, not the storage law. But lets face it, a secure container is a good idea regardless. Also, EOPSS has an FAQ which says that a locked trunk separate from the passenger cabin is a secure container.

Back
Top Bottom