• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How about something gun-related on this gun-related forum ?

Twigg

NES Member
Something not related to fat arrogant bicyclists and the people who love to hate them. Something not related to the fearmongering (from both sides) about a possible assault weapon ban. Something not related to ANYTHING about O-f***ing-Bama for a change.

How about a nice simple, day-at-the-range post ?

OK, I finally got offfa my fat ass and got out to break the cherry on my AR.

First up, I got to use the rifle rack in the truck for what God intended it for, not umbrellas', not fishin' poles, not snow brushes either.

Goin' to the range, free state style.
000_0884.jpg

Brought the SKS along so the AR wouldn't get lonely. [grin]

Checked my zero at 50 yards and then moved the target back to 100 yards and flung a little over a hunnered rounds downrange off the bench. I'm used to a 'scope

TruckMonadnockb.jpg

I know, I know, I should'a shot prone like I did yesterday.
I woulda done better. I'm rusty & it shows. [thinking]

The rifle is a Colt 5.56 upper on an AA lower. That stock trigger's gots to go. Thought it was a bit stiff and checked it when I got home, it breaks at 7 1/4 lbs. That's a bit heavy for my tastes.

Just for comparasion I checked the SKS, it breaks a 3 1/2 lbs.

I also experienced a few FTF's and the bolt would not hold open reliably. I'm running this thing with a light coat of gun oil on the bolt and a dry buffer. I've read the bolt should be run wet, but just how wet ? Regular gun oil OK or CLP ?

Oh yeah, my NES license plate arrived too. [smile]

Last edited:
Beautiful range weather lately. My sister and brother-in-law are visiting from Indianapolis, we headed out yesterday morning and wiped a few hard drives with my MAK-90, AR, Garand, 1911 and Ruger Security Six. A very fun time was had by all.

Did you shoot the hell out of the hood?[laugh] It is nice to get back to the lighter side of things. +1

No trucks were harmed in the making of this post.

But I did drive around the Monadnock area pointin' TWO rifles at people for awhile... [wink] [laugh]

Looks like you shot the hell out of the right side of your hood![wink]
Oh how I would love to live in NH. A gun rack with a gun in it!

That truck is bulletproof. Don't you remember what happened in your yard?[rofl]

Dennis, great post! Very refreshing. You're more than welcome to borrow either of my A2 style handle mounted scopes if you'd like. Just let me know!

Nice! Nothing like a beautiful day at the range! [cheers]

Your bolt not holding open and related failures could be for a variety of reasons. Yes indeed, run your rifle wet, but not bathed in CLP, Slip, Militec-, motor oil, etc..

Also, check your ammo. Weak ammo can make the rifle - especially an M4 with it's short gas system, fail. Some weaker .223 will not run in my rifle....

Lastly, what are you running for a bolt? Is it a stock Colt?

That truck is bulletproof. Don't you remember what happened in your yard?[rofl]

Dennis, great post! Very refreshing. You're more than welcome to borrow either of my A2 style handle mounted scopes if you'd like. Just let me know!

Two ? You have TWO ! ? You hoarder you.

Last edited:
Two ? You have TWO ! ? You hoarder you.

One is the factory Colt scope that you shot a while back. The other is a cheap (but very accurate) hunting scope with an adapter for the handle mount.

Oh, and I wish I could be a hoarder. I'm so broke right now that I can't even pay attention![smile]

One is the factory Colt scope that you shot a while back. The other is a cheap (but very accurate) hunting scope with an adapter for the handle mount.

Oh, and I wish I could be a hoarder. I'm so broke right now that I can't even pay attention![smile]

Dennis. Hakko was the OEM for Colt carry handle scopes. They are still available brand new...I had a Eurolux Colt knock-off on mine years back, (about 40-bucks) and it was super....

Nice! Nothing like a beautiful day at the range! [cheers]

Your bolt not holding open and related failures could be for a variety of reasons. Yes indeed, run your rifle wet, but not bathed in CLP, Slip, Militec-, motor oil, etc..

Also, check your ammo. Weak ammo can make the rifle - especially an M4 with it's short gas system, fail. Some weaker .223 will not run in my rifle....

Lastly, what are you running for a bolt? Is it a stock Colt?

The upper is a full size rifle, 20" barrel, I believe its a Colt bolt as well.
Ammo was Remington green box & yellow UMC - What Dick's sells as bulk packs. The bolt was stone dry when I got it home so I think it needs to start wetter than it was.

The upper is a full size rifle, 20" barrel, I believe its a Colt bolt as well.
Ammo was Remington green box & yellow UMC - What Dick's sells as bulk packs. The bolt was stone dry when I got it home so I think it needs to start wetter than it was.

You running a 20" with a collapsable? That could be a source for trouble too, (long tube gas system with short buffer), but try some oil first...Remington UMC is inconsistent in my opinion. I bought one batch that ran like poop through a goose and another that would fail 1 out of every 5-10 shots. Try oil, then let's see what happens. You have a Colt upper and if you're running a Colt BCG, you're ahead of the game - Colt is the chit...

You running a 20" with a collapsable? That could be a source for trouble too, (long tube gas system with short buffer), but try some oil first...Remington UMC is inconsistent in my opinion. I bought one batch that ran like poop through a goose and another that would fail 1 out of every 5-10 shots. Try oil, then let's see what happens. You have a Colt upper and if you're running a Colt BCG, you're ahead of the game - Colt is the chit...

Thanks Mark.

Not worried about the buffer, State Line set me up with a rifle length collapsable which is a little bit longer than the standard A2 stock.

I'm no expert on AR's but I trust these guys. I doubt if they pulled a fast one on me. I'm gonna try to get out there again tomorrow after a good cleaning on the rifle.

Thanks Mark.

Not worried about the buffer, State Line set me up with a rifle length collapsable which is a little bit longer than the standard A2 stock.

I'm no expert on AR's but I trust these guys. I doubt if they pulled a fast one on me. I'm gonna try to get out there again tomorrow after a good cleaning on the rifle.

That's a perfect set up for guys like us. I can't stand standard carbine length collapsable stocks, so the A2 set-up makes sense...No matter what, you have a sweet ride my friend...

Back
Top Bottom