House Review of S2284 (formerly SB 2265)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a campaign commercial for that DB Grossman last night. He had a bunch of Black women who supposedly lost kids to gun violence stating that we need a one gun a month law. What fools.

I can't afford 1 gun a month. But perhaps there will be a government subsidy to help me buy 1 gun a month.

On the bill: Everything we do in this state is stop the bleeding. The antis will be back in full force. Maybe not next session, but likely the one after that. We need to reverse the tide here.

To the licensing officers: Please find someone unsuitable for an FID who is not a PP. You will lose with SCOTUS, and then you will lose all discretion you currently have.

...and all this from Deleo, who will be in jail before we know it.

Without NES, I wouldnt have joined GOAL or donated to Comm2A. Being a new gun owner, I only knew about NRA and that is because I needed to be a member to join my gun club. I know several people that aren't on NES and they knew nothing about the bill or what GOAL and Comm2A do for us. They got a license, bought a gun and stuffed it in a safe. I would take an uneducated guess that is the majority of Gun owners in MA. Might have been me if I didnt bump into NES during a search.

100% true

Without NES, I wouldnt have joined GOAL or donated to Comm2A. Being a new gun owner, I only knew about NRA and that is because I needed to be a member to join my gun club. I know several people that aren't on NES and they knew nothing about the bill or what GOAL and Comm2A do for us. They got a license, bought a gun and stuffed it in a safe. I would take an uneducated guess that is the majority of Gun owners in MA. Might have been me if I didnt bump into NES during a search.

I agree, I wouldn't have known about any of this if it wasn't for NES. I went green just now as a thank you to Derek, our esteemed community organizer.

You are absolutey correct - Now what are you doing about it?

I already have plans to work on better information dissemination to the 'disconnected'

Dude I'm not the one pushing GOAL so I'm doing nothing about it
only making a point

I remember we did some training at GOAL with crossx at that time we talked how to bring the membership up so here is 1 you board members can take GOALS van drive out to west part of mass and meet with people after all you push it here so go push it on the road

Last edited:
GOAL says veterans don't need to take a safety class to apply for a license in their list of pluses. Couple of questions:

1) Does this only apply to active service personnel and Nat'l Guard or all veterans?

2) Is this good to apply for LTC-A or only FID?

Dude I'm not the one pushing GOAL so I'm doing nothing about it
only making a point

I remember we did some training at GOAL with crossx at that time we talked how to bring the membership up so here is 1 you board members can take GOALS van drive out to west part of mass and meet with people after all you push it here so go push it on the road

Just what I thought - It's always someone elses job.

You don't need to push GOAL or Com2A on people to inform them but any action takes effort.

pastera;4056384[B said:
]Just what I thought[/B] - It's always someone elses job.

You don't need to push GOAL or Com2A on people to inform them but any action takes effort.

Good we are on the same page

That's OK, 90% of the people commenting on it here haven't either.

[smile]

I followed the evolution very actively, and helped vet the amendments in both the House and Senate in real-time. I meant that I was unaware of the AWB language, and was hoping someone could confirm my assumption that anything pre-1994 would have become banned IF the provision being discussed now HAD gone through.
Comm2A is currently seeking volunteers to actually cut and paste the language together so it'll actually resemble the law to be signed, rather than all that "strike this word" or "add this paragraph after..."

Comm2A is currently seeking volunteers to actually cut and paste the language together so it'll actually resemble the law to be signed, rather than all that "strike this word" or "add this paragraph after..."

That expains why the MGLs are such a mess. The legislators have no idea either what the law will look like after the changes are made.

GOAL says veterans don't need to take a safety class to apply for a license in their list of pluses. Couple of questions:

1) Does this only apply to active service personnel and Nat'l Guard or all veterans?

Subsection (a) of said section 131P of chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by adding the following paragraph:- A current member of the United States military or the Massachusetts National Guard who has not been prohibited under said section 129B from owning a firearm and has received adequate training while serving in the military shall be exempt from being required to submit a basic firearms safety certificate to the licensing authority upon submitting a copy of the member’s most current military identification form.

So current members only and I am pretty certain that you are not supposed to allow any non-DOD person/agency to copy your CAC.
The stupidity of this is that it is redundant:
From Section 131P
No application for the issuance of a firearm identification card or license to carry shall be accepted or processed by the licensing authority without such certificate attached thereto; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any state of the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States;

Last edited:

And we will post the alterations when we are done in a change tracked format so that we will show exactly what changed.

That's what I saw too, Pastera. I think GOAL should fix their list of accomplishments to reflect this correctly or we'll have guys applying and getting denied.

Goal says the following, which is slightly inaccurate:
Military Veterans:

• We extended the time period a Veteran has to become licensed, or renew their license to 180 days from 90 days.

We exempted veterans from having to take the mandatory gun safety training classes

**** you Coupe Deval.Email

Beacon Hill

Gov. Deval Patrick has favorable view of bills awaiting his signature on sales tax holiday, substance abuse, campaign finance
Gov. Deval Patrick 'favorably disposed' toward compromise Massachusetts gun bill
Fossil fuel divestment bill fails to pass in Massachusetts legislature
Economic development bill passes the legislature, setting the stage for Aug. 16-17 sales tax holiday
Passage of gun violence bill draws praise from legislators, Boston Mayor Martin Walsh

BOSTON — Gov. Deval Patrick said Friday that he is "favorably disposed" toward a compromise bill that addresses gun violence, though he is still looking at the bill.

The bill, which was hailed by both gun owners and gun control advocates, was passed by the Legislature and sent to Patrick's desk Thursday night after House and Senate negotiators reached a last-minute compromise on a provision relating to whether to give police chiefs discretion in issuing firearms identification cards, which are required to buy a shotgun or rifle.

"I understand there was an awful lot of work that went into that compromise and I respect that," Patrick, a Democrat, told reporters at the State House. "We're going to look at it, and I'm favorably disposed."

By law, Patrick has 10 days to consider legislation before signing it, vetoing it or letting it become law without his signature.

The gun bill does not include a provision favored by Patrick that would have limited gun buyers to purchasing one gun a month. Patrick and other advocates of the provision said the limit would help stop gun trafficking. The provision was opposed by gun rights activists. A task force that made recommendations for the gun legislation could not come to an agreement on including Patrick's one gun a month provision, and the provision was not included in either the House or Senate versions of the bill.

Patrick said he is "obviously disappointed" that the bill did not include his proposal.

The bill includes a huge range of provisions aimed at reducing gun violence, including requiring the state to transmit information about substance abuse or mental health commitments to a federal database; requiring background checks for all private gun sales; increasing penalties for gun crimes; and requiring schools to improve services related to both emergency management and mental health.

The version I was working off of yesterday exempted only active duty military and guard, not veterans.

Of course the ****ing Moms Blah Blah are claiming a huge victory with this..... [puke]

WE DID IT!!! After 18 months of working together to advocate for stronger gun laws here in MA, our efforts have paid off! In the final hours of the Legislative session, the MA Congress passed sweeping gun reform that closes dangerous loopholes in MA law while still preserving 2nd amendment rights, making Massachusetts a model for gun reform everywhere.

THANK YOU ALL for your efforts - it wouldn't have happened without you.

That's correct. GOAL's statement is ambiguous or only half true. Gotta clean it up.

Here's the relevant portion:

SECTION 67. Subsection (a) of said section 131P of chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by adding the following paragraph:- A current member of the United States military or the Massachusetts National Guard who has not been prohibited under said section 129B from owning a firearm and has received adequate training while serving in the military shall be exempt from being required to submit a basic firearms safety certificate to the licensing authority upon submitting a copy of the member’s most current military identification form.

Note that this section doesn't define "adequate training." Generally speaking, training considered adequate in the .mil doesn't meet MA's codified training standards. (The .mil doesn't do modules on MA firearms law, just as one example.) This section is pretty much worthless IMHO.

Last edited:

Note that this section doesn't define "adequate training." Generally speaking, training considered adequate in the .mil doesn't meet MA's codified training standards. (The .mil doesn't do modules on MA firearms law, just as one example.) This section is pretty much worthless IMHO.

I think they would have to add Mil Basic training to the list of approved courses.

Note that the new law also doesn't define "adequate training." Generally speaking, training considered adequate in the .mil doesn't meet MA's codified training standards. (The .mil doesn't do modules on MA firearms law, just as one example.) This section is pretty much worthless IMHO.

I see this being abused as well. Anti CoPs may say, "ya I know you're in the military, but in MY town, we don't feel it's adequate, because you learn nothing about MA law", or some other nonsense. "Go take a course." You and I, and most here, know know most of the laws. We are a tiny percentage. Active duty military will not question it and may waste money on a course before they even apply. I can't see a practical way to get the word out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom