House Review of S2284 (formerly SB 2265)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called DeLeo's office - got sent to a machine. Said I have previously called and emailed in opposition to the proposed firearms legislation but that I support the senate's amendments, S.2284 and that I hope the house votes to concur with that version.

Yesterday called Linsky's office and spoke to a staffer - said similar things, but also that my worry is that if the house does not concur that the whole thing will be killed and we won't get some of the important things in the bill like NICS compliance and mental health resources.

So here's the stuff I care about. Is my understanding correct?

The House bill features:

• May-issue language for FIDs with a required reason for denial which may extend to LTCs and restrictions.

• Nothing about self-defense sprays.

• Nothing about the AWB.

• Other stuff.

The Senate version features:

• Removal of the may-issue language and denial reason, causing a reversion to the current shall-issue FIDs.

• Language that removes the requirement for an FID for self-defense sprays, limits the sale to MA firearms shops and includes lots of conditions on the purchaser.

• Removal of AWB applicability to off-the-job LEOs.

• Other stuff.

Called DeLeo's office - got sent to a machine. Said I have previously called and emailed in opposition to the proposed firearms legislation but that I support the senate's amendments, S.2284 and that I hope the house votes to concur with that version.

Yesterday called Linsky's office and spoke to a staffer - said similar things, but also that my worry is that if the house does not concur that the whole thing will be killed and we won't get some of the important things in the bill like NICS compliance and mental health resources.

Someone should tell Linsky that we've started this process over a year ago, and had a bunch of hearings, so pass the bill already! (his words back when this was H4121)

Also spoke with Deleos aide, logged the call.

ETA: spoke with my rep Joe Wagner as well..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also spoke with Deleos aide, logged the call.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've posted the number to call on FB.......

texted it to all my friends..........we need to hammer the phone line!

The suitability issue is ridiculous, I would like to ask any of these chiefs or reps to name one person they were "forced" to give an FID card who went on to commit violent crime. Probably can't name one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The suitability issue is ridiculous, I would like to ask any of these chiefs or reps to name one person they were "forced" to give an FID card who went on to commit violent crime. Probably can't name one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is why we should support this current bill.......if it goes to comittee or is delayed to the next session it will be worse......possibly much worse. Most of the current bill has almost nothing to do with law abiding gun owners. I just think it is funny that the gun owners are supporting the gun bill and the hard line antis are trying to stop it now!!!!

Just got this from Jim Dwyer.
-------------------------------

Hi TinRobotBoy:

More often than not, legislation that passes the House and Senate is different. I can honestly say there have probably only been a handful of proposals in my 6 years as State Representative that have received concurrence either from the House or the Senate.

The Senate and the House have formed a Conference Committee to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate proposals. I will make sure to reach out to the Conference Committee to let them know that provisions in the Senate bill regarding law abiding gun owners are more acceptable. (FYI. Rep. George Peterson, a staunch ally of GOAL and 2nd amendment was named to the Conference Committee).

Thanks for contacting me.

Best Regards,
Jim Dwyer

That is why we should support this current bill.......if it goes to comittee or is delayed to the next session it will be worse......possibly much worse. Most of the current bill has almost nothing to do with law abiding gun owners. I just think it is funny that the gun owners are supporting the gun bill and the hard line antis are trying to stop it now!!!!

Pretty amazing turn of events. Their bill and they don't like how it turned out. Look what WE did!

Hi TinRobotBoy:

More often than not, legislation that passes the House and Senate is different. I can honestly say there have probably only been a handful of proposals in my 6 years as State Representative that have received concurrence either from the House or the Senate.

The Senate and the House have formed a Conference Committee to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate proposals. I will make sure to reach out to the Conference Committee to let them know that provisions in the Senate bill regarding law abiding gun owners are more acceptable. (FYI. Rep. George Peterson, a staunch ally of GOAL and 2nd amendment was named to the Conference Committee).

Best Regards,
Jim Dwyer

Hi TinRobotBoy:

Best Regards,
Jim Dwyer

I am surprised Peterson is on the commitee

Maybe his 'yes' vote on the house bill is what bought him that seat on the committee. All just part of the political game.

Good point,
I just sent this,

Dear Representative Cantwell,

I am writing you today to respectfully request that you positively support Bill S.2265 when it comes up for a concurrence vote in the House.
Here are the selling points of the bill for both sides.
For Firearms owners this bill will:
o This bill will legalize pepper spray for anyone over 18.
o Will keep the status quo on issuing FID cards
o Will end license issuing delays for LTC/FID holders
o Will streamline the LTC licensing process
o Will improve school safety via school resource officers

For the interest of public safety this bill will:
o Ensure Universal Background Checks
o Ensures that MA background check information goes to NICS
o Offers resources for mental health aid
o Offers resources to prevent suicide
o Provides protection of our children in schools
Respectfully,
XXXXXXX

I am surprised Peterson is on the commitee

I would have been more surprised if he wasn't.

DeLeo didn't have much choice. He had to appoint at least one R, he has some seniority and DeLeo praised him
as if he were a god after the House vote was taken.

I'm sure he didn't like the idea, but it would have looked really bad if he didn't.

Called my rep to ask her to vote for concurrence with S2284.
Spoke with her aid who said a conference committee was formed this morning.
Reps Mariano, Bradley, and Peterson are on the committee.
She did not know which senators would be on the committee.
Got off the phone 10 minutes ago, hope it's not old news.

From GOAL's Facebook:

Breaking: MA House of Representatives just voted to send S.2284 to Conference Committee. We are working to find out who will be on the committee and will update with info and action alerts as necessary.

Don't waste your efforts anymore, boys... H4285 "history" updated to show NON-concurrence...

and now we wait...

clicky
Damn they voted not to concur......where is the roll call I want to give my rep some shit if they voted no

suitability will go back in, maybe the whole thing will blow up and not pass at all, then all the anti's can chastise their government for not "doing SOMEthing"

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone able to post the phone numbers of the committee members......I'll repost em on my FB page right away

GOAL is trying to find out who's on the committee and will follow up as soon as they know

suitability will go back in, maybe the whole thing will blow up and not pass at all, then all the anti's can chastise their government for not "doing SOMEthing"

- - - Updated - - -

GOAL is trying to find out who's on the committee and will follow up as soon as they know

Suitability needs to stay out.....can't give up ground without blosing up their phones and emails........

- - - Updated - - -

And, honestly, that would be total BS. They wanted safety, they got it. Now, they're specifically targeting gun owners, and throwing all the safety stuff right out the window.

And, honestly, that would be total BS. They wanted safety, they got it. Now, they're specifically targeting gun owners, and throwing all the safety stuff right out the window.

And that would prove it was never about safety.......it was about making it harder for law abiging folks to get a license!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom