• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hospital deductibles; how to evade them

As long as I the tax payer do not have to fund it....It's all good. Let him have at it.

If you ever pay a hospital bill or an insurance premium, you're funding it.

Hospitals eat the loss on nonpayment, but don't go out of business. They make up the loss somewhere else, and that somewhere else is by inflating the costs of people that can pay.

As long as I the tax payer do not have to fund it....It's all good. Let him have at it.

You DO fund it. Hospitals set their prices to account for deadbeats that do not pay. These prices go up to account for more deadbeats. Your insurance company has to pay more, thus your premiums go up.

Hey, as long as the government (read: my taxes) aren't paying for it, so what if your car gets stolen?

I'm still not sure if people are being sarcastic or not on this thread.

You DO fund it. Hospitals set their prices to account for deadbeats that do not pay. These prices go up to account for more deadbeats. Your insurance company has to pay more, thus your premiums go up.

Exactly! That responce was meant to Milbros post.....Again as long as I dont have to fund scammers, do as he may....But we all know diffrent.

If you ever pay a hospital bill or an insurance premium, you're funding it.

Hospitals eat the loss on nonpayment, but don't go out of business. They make up the loss somewhere else, and that somewhere else is by inflating the costs of people that can pay.

Yup...thats the way the scam works...deadbeats walk and you pick up the tab. Brilliant!

My 4 day hospital stay for pancreatitis and gal bladder surgery totaled $90k!!! I was responsible for $4k of it after insurance....well.....and many phone calls to the insurance company to contest the charges. My initial responsibility was $12k....but insurance company claimed I was using out of network docs.......I had to bitch that in the hospital I didn't get to chose what doc came to "check my chart" twice a day. Insurance paid all but $4k......I wrote the check and paid my share.

Those docs that came in two times a day submitted bills for over $2k a day!!!!! I saw them for 30 seconds each time.

Great idea! Next time my LTC renewal is up, I'm going to send it in with a check for $0. It's a Constitutional right, so I determine that I don't have to pay. My property taxes aren't fair either, so I'm only going to pay half because you know the other half just goes to freeloaders.

No sh!t that the hospitals will be accounting for debts that are written off, and the negative effect will be compensated by increased fees for everyone. My kids argue that boomers are the most entitled demographic and the reason for much of the debt this country faces. Sh!t like this makes it hard to argue against that.

Got a Pacemaker installed back in March. Total for the 10 Days in Hospital was $121,000.
My deductible portion was just under $6K with a 20% discount for paying in full. I met my
Maximum out of pocket in March, so everything else is covered 100% for the rest of the year.

Did a Sleep study and got a CPAP machine.I have a 2 day stress test next Monday and Tuesday.
The Lahey Cardiologist wants to do an Abladement to stop the A-Fib from coming back. I am
also looking to get Gastric Surgery by the end of the year too.

The Gastric Surgery would cut the monthly Meds down by about $3k/mo. So over the course of
the next year they would recoup the cost of the surgery.

Malodave

I always ask the Doctor if I can work the bill down by scrubbing bedpans and sterilizing catheters.

2 more years, post triple-bypass, and I'll be hanging up my scrub brush for good...

kitchen_and_dish_scrub_brush_1765.jpg

* Plus, the nurses let me keep all the Vicodin that I find under the Stryker beds...

Thumbnail_Bari10ABed.jpg

One way to get a reduction on hospital and doctor bills is to call them and ask for a full pay discount.

I typically get 25-30% off doing this.

As others have stated, deadbeats drive up the cost of everything.

All the non payments are passed on as higher prices and fees.

So the way the uncompensated care pool is funded is that every insurance company adds a surcharge to every institutional claim. That money is used to cover uninsured and under insured claims. And according to where this article was written it was going relatively unregulated and facilities were submitting unreasonable claims against the fund.

Massachusetts' Uncompensated Care Pool is Used to Subsidize Medicaid

Massachusetts' Uncompensated Care Pool is Used to Subsidize Medicaid

Those docs that came in two times a day submitted bills for over $2k a day!!!!! I saw them for 30 seconds each time.

Yes and those f***ers knew exactly what they were doing. It's a rotten system, everyone involved is gaming it, especially those $4K/minute Doctors.

I'm tired of being sheared by every special interest who's figured out how to collect economic rent from we the sheeple.

The absolute worst part of the current system is the insurance companies prohibit dentists - and doctors too I would imagine - from pricing their services below the insurance companies' list prices. So it's essentially a closed shop and you're forced to either buy health insurance or get billed at sky high inflated prices if you self-insure and pay out of pocket.

'Murica.

This is the most ridiculous Question I have seen in a while.... sooo u are one of those people that think you are above paying your share ? Sad and you should be embarrassed that you even ask the question.

For many procedures, Medicare is a loss leader and the hospital does not make any money on those patients, even when the deductible is paid. When I was on dialysis, private insurance paid $500ish per treatment; once I went on Medicare the price dropped to $300.

Some primary docs don't even accept new Medicare patients because the $$ isn't worth it to them. Some other docs do so out of a sense of service even when it does not make economic sense.

I paid my plumber half what he billed me. He makes enough money and probably would have spent the extra money on beer.
I hope this is a joke.... you called him for a skill that he has and you clearly don’t, then you stiff him ? You are no better then the illegals taking advantage of the system. New level of cheapness

hospital deductibles; how to evade them

Answer:

Hide under a large rock and only come out at night when it's raining really hard to camouflage you from the bill collectors.

Last edited:
I paid my plumber half what he billed me. He makes enough money and probably would have spent the extra money on beer.

I paid my plumber half what he billed me. When winter rolled around and my boiler crapped the bed and I had no heat when it was zero degrees outside he told me to go shi...t in my hat when I called him at 5 AM. LOL

This is the most ridiculous Question I have seen in a while.... sooo u are one of those people that think you are above paying your share ? Sad and you should be embarrassed that you even ask the question.
People like that aren’t embarrassed by cheating the system. Op posted on here because he’s gloating. He thought we’d be happy for him. It’s people like him that drive up prices for the rest of us. He could make $50 a month payments and the hospital is ok with that.

I hope this is a joke.... you called him for a skill that he has and you clearly don’t, then you stiff him ? You are no better then the illegals taking advantage of the system. New level of cheapness
The way to do this is "Here is an agreement in which you need to sign accepting 80% of the contracted amount as payment in full, otherwise you can spend years trying to get the full price from me while my phalanx of salaried lawyers does everything possible to thwart your claim.". Worked for Trump in his previous job.

It's not a joke. It's an analogy, and not a bad one. It's what the OP is trying to do.

Back
Top Bottom