• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home Invasion next town over from me, cops take 1.5 hours to respond

I shudder at the thought of the legal shit storm you'd be up against if your, home alone, 14 year old daughter makes hamburg out of a robber's face with your 12 gauge in Massachusetts. It's what would be right in the situation, but just saying. Also, I realize the story was CT, again, just saying.

So let's say you are the neighbor, and you go over, you are armed, and but the guys breaking in have just a crowbar. What can you legally do. Can you walk in with your gun drawn? In ma, I don't know CT law, you can only meet deadly force with deadly force. Show the gun, say leave now. They don't leave. What can you do when it's not your house and you are coming in from outside of the house.

Sent using Tapatalk.

I shudder at the thought of the legal shit storm you'd be up against if your, home alone, 14 year old daughter makes hamburg out of a robber's face with your 12 gauge in Massachusetts. It's what would be right in the situation, but just saying. Also, I realize the story was CT, again, just saying.

Something about judged by 12, carried by 6 comes to mind here.

or

SSS

So let's say you are the neighbor, and you go over, you are armed, and but the guys breaking in have just a crowbar. What can you legally do. Can you walk in with your gun drawn? In ma, I don't know CT law, you can only meet deadly force with deadly force. Show the gun, say leave now. They don't leave. What can you do when it's not your house and you are coming in from outside of the house.

Sent using Tapatalk.

You definetly don't know MA law either if you think that you can meet deadly force to deadly force (which btw includes a crowbar if wielded at you). It comes down to what you can articulate, why you felt the need to step in in the first place. Scenario would dictate this. Prior knowledge of your neighbors house being broken into and there are 2 kids locked in the bathroom etc. gets you in the house too easy, and then it depends on what happens next.

Actually no, they shouldn't (legally anyway, morally is a different matter).

SCOTUS has ruled multiple times that you are on your own.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1976377/posts

So there you have it. This has been posted here before. Restraining orders are not worth the paper they are printed on and the police do not have to respond to a call.
Heh, that's a 2005 case. Back in 1856, South v Maryland held the same. My favorite is Bowers v DeVito (1982) that held that:
"...there is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen."
Gotta love it!

Extremely unlikely. If you search for the term 'no duty to protect', or read Warren v. District of Columbia, DeShaney v. Winnebago County and Castle Rock v. Gonzales you will find more than you wanted to know on the concept that the police/state have no particular responsibility to any individual. It's why you have a duty to your family to have some effective form of self defense available, at all times, because the police aren't going to be held responsible even if they never show up at all.

The two most likely areas for it to happen are cities on the edge of financial collapse like Detroit, and rural areas. You can find average emergency response times for Detroit pretty easily, it can be tough in rural areas too - even in MA. If you dial 911 in my town looking for police, you're hoping that one of the 4 part time officers who all have full time jobs somewhere else can answer the beeper, although they can take a couple minutes to get their shit together and out the door. If they aren't around, the call gets bounced to the local state police barracks. They might have 5 or 6 troopers working, but even if one of them is sitting there bored when the call comes in, he's still 18 miles away. Since they cover IIRC 14 towns, there's a much better chance he's working somewhere else, which might be closer or further from you. In any case, he doesn't know the town that well so finding you can be challenging.

You are on your own. You are responsible for the security and safety of yourself and your family.

When I read that I thought "That sounds like the towns near me". Oh, I think you live in the towns near me. :)

Yes, but friends you can count on to that degree can be difficult to find.

Whether they all know it or not, my friends and neighbors have a friend or neighbor like that.

My buddy lives out in the woods and his alarm kept going off while he was working late and his wife/kids were home. When he got home the next door neighbor was there with an AR and side arm keeping an eye on things. Hashtag GoodCountryNeighbors

If the troopers stopped playing revenue agents harassing truck drivers, they might have time to fight crime.

I know this is a de-rail, but WTF is up with this. I see more Troopers in Ma with truckers pulled over than I see them doing anything else. What are they getting them for? Was always curious.

I agree, but honestly I would rather have the robber's face made into hamburg than something bad happen to one of my kids, so I guess it just comes down to what's most important. At this point our boys are all grown up with the youngest in college, but we have a daughter that just turned 12, so this subject weighs on me very heavily. In our case she is never left alone, but obviously as she gets older there may be times when she is home without us.

if it was a state troopers kids they would of been there in a minute....... *******s. teach your kids to shoot at 8 yrs old i did.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Your Honor.. it's for the children.

Actually no, they shouldn't (legally anyway, morally is a different matter).

SCOTUS has ruled multiple times that you are on your own.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1976377/posts

So there you have it. This has been posted here before. Restraining orders are not worth the paper they are printed on and the police do not have to respond to a call.

i agree with you 100%, however when the state has felt it necessary to strip us of our rights, i think we should demand to have the protection that we would normally have.

Maybe my friend has the right idea. Taught his son and daughter how to handle a weapon when they were both 11 years old. They are now 16 and 14...he lives in MA, with valid LTC, and "safely stores" one SW.38 revolver in a cabinet above the kitchen stove and another in his nightstand in the bedroom. And both "kids" (who are more mature than many adults I know) are well aware of where the gun is and how to use it if a scumbag enters. His philosophy : I'd rather lose my LTC and serve jail time than go to my kids' wake.....
Stories like this make him sound wise and us "safe storage" sheep the idiots.

but, but, the teachers at school said that police are here to protect us... it even says to 'serve and protect' right on the side of there cars. That is why the teachers say that anyone who owns guns are evil..... its your job as a good little liberal to sit quietly and die quietly (though hopefully the bad guys use a gun so we can turn it into anouther 'teachable monment').[/sarcasm]

Back
Top Bottom