Home Invasion next town over from me, cops take 1.5 hours to respond

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
this was just down the road from my girlfriend's dad's house, its out in the middle of the woods. people should be beating down doors at the state police demanding someone gets fired...

WINDHAM, Conn. (WTNH)-- Two local children made it through a terrifying home invasion. The brother and sister were home alone when two men busted inside.

The kids hid in the bathroom and the worse part is the kid's father says the kids repeatedly called 9-1-1 for help but more than an hour passed before anyone showed up.

This is a terrifying situation. Imagine you're home and your parents aren't there and you see a strange car pulling into the driveway. Not only that, two men you don't know come banging on the door and also try to break in.

Troy Quick says his fourteen-year-old daughter acted quickly. She grabbed her twelve-year-old brother and locked themselves in the bathroom.

While in there they heard their dog being thrown down into the basement. She called 9-1-1 on her cell phone, her brother called their dad.

"Well they're terrified. They're terrified. Like I said they had five 9-1-1 calls and no response. It was over an hour and half before someone showed up. That's the worst part about it," said Quick.

Quick also called a friend who arrived just in time. The men had just busted into the bedroom connected to the bathroom. They fled with money and jewelry.

"Wasn't for my friend I don't know what would have happened to my kids. You know what I mean you just don't know," said Quick.

State police tell News 8 they are investigating the forced entry Monday afternoon at 4:30 but Windham's Mayor says they are also investigating the delayed response. Troopers showed up after six.

"My daughter actually said she was in the bathroom with someone breaking into the house. That's the scary part," said Quick.

The mayor says the recent regionalization of State Police Dispatch isn't the issue, it's the veteran Troop K dispatcher who handled the call.

"I"m not sure whether the dispatcher felt as though it wasn't a good call, whether it was a bogus call or whether the dispatch just didn't heed what was supposed to go. My feeling is it's unacceptable," said Mayor Ernie Eldridge, (BL) Windham.

The footprints where the kids were standing in this tub are still there. This is an experience which is going to haunt them and their parents for a very long time.

http://www.wtnh.com/news/crime/2-kids-home-alone-during-home-invasion

So remember, if your family is ever in this situation, first call is to a gun owner friend then the police. At least you can count on your friend.

this was just down the road from my girlfriend's dad's house, its out in the middle of the woods. people should be beating down doors at the state police demanding someone gets fired...

http://www.wtnh.com/news/crime/2-kids-home-alone-during-home-invasion

Actually no, they shouldn't (legally anyway, morally is a different matter).

SCOTUS has ruled multiple times that you are on your own.

7/15/05 SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES No. 04-278 TOWN OF CASTLE ROCK, COLORADO, PETITIONER v. JESSICA GONZALES, INDIVIDUALLY AND AS NEXT BEST FRIEND OF HER DECEASED MINOR CHILDREN, REBECCA GONZALES, KATHERYN GONZALES, AND LESLIE GONZALES
On June 27, in the case of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, the Supreme Court found that Jessica Gonzales did not have a constitutional right to individual police protection even in the presence of a restraining order. Mrs. Gonzales' husband with a track record of violence, stabbing Mrs. Gonzales to death, Mrs. Gonzales' family could not get the Supreme Court to change their unanimous decision for one's individual protection

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1976377/posts

So there you have it. This has been posted here before. Restraining orders are not worth the paper they are printed on and the police do not have to respond to a call.

First stop is the cannon safe for the gun.......confront the invader......then call the cops then the lawyer. It is my house......not necessary to waste time on the phone or try to evacuate. I know these were kids.........I don't leave my kid home alone.......it is my job to protect!

An hour and a half to respond.....WFT!

Last edited:
Actually no, they shouldn't (legally anyway, morally is a different matter).

SCOTUS has ruled multiple times that you are on your own.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1976377/posts

So there you have it. This has been posted here before. Restraining orders are not worth the paper they are printed on and the police do not have to respond to a call.

Good point soloman! You don't think the cops are going to allow a ruling that would hold them accountable or anything like that do you! WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN PROTECTION!

First stop is the handgun next to me [STRIKE=cannon safe for the gun]cannon safe for the gun[/STRIKE].......confront the invader......then call the cops. It is my house......not necessary to waste time on the phone or try to evacuate. I know these were kids.........I don't leave my kid home alone.......it is my job to protect!

What I tell the police with an attorney present: First stop is the cannon safe for the gun.......confront the invader......then call the cops.

FIFY

Someone should be held accountable for this without being placed on paid leave

Extremely unlikely. If you search for the term 'no duty to protect', or read Warren v. District of Columbia, DeShaney v. Winnebago County and Castle Rock v. Gonzales you will find more than you wanted to know on the concept that the police/state have no particular responsibility to any individual. It's why you have a duty to your family to have some effective form of self defense available, at all times, because the police aren't going to be held responsible even if they never show up at all.

The two most likely areas for it to happen are cities on the edge of financial collapse like Detroit, and rural areas. You can find average emergency response times for Detroit pretty easily, it can be tough in rural areas too - even in MA. If you dial 911 in my town looking for police, you're hoping that one of the 4 part time officers who all have full time jobs somewhere else can answer the beeper, although they can take a couple minutes to get their shit together and out the door. If they aren't around, the call gets bounced to the local state police barracks. They might have 5 or 6 troopers working, but even if one of them is sitting there bored when the call comes in, he's still 18 miles away. Since they cover IIRC 14 towns, there's a much better chance he's working somewhere else, which might be closer or further from you. In any case, he doesn't know the town that well so finding you can be challenging.

You are on your own. You are responsible for the security and safety of yourself and your family.

So remember, if your family is ever in this situation, first call is to a gun owner friend then the police. At least you can count on your friend.

Yes, but friends you can count on to that degree can be difficult to find.

They don't have to respond to a home invasion? I suppose speeding tickets are more important. Just lay half them off.

I'm so glad they have common sense gun laws there to prevent just this sort of thing.

It's a good thing the bad guys didn't steal any guns or the victims would be n jail right now.

Leaves full of hate fear and confusion. I just got cabinets to lock all my guns up when i am not home and the kids are home alone. Of course that just takes away their only means of defense but i dont want any accidents. Whats a parent to do who cant afford sitters.

the kids should called their dad, then dad could post a thread on NES, probably get two or three guys there within 30 minutes

Leaves full of hate fear and confusion. I just got cabinets to lock all my guns up when i am not home and the kids are home alone. Of course that just takes away their only means of defense but i dont want any accidents. Whats a parent to do who cant afford sitters.
get them the mini fire extinguisher size pepper spray that they sell for bear attacks. its non lethal so its safer than most things in the house. i would not care if its legal or not, depending on how stupid your state laws may be.

Move to New Hampshire.

I wish I could say I was being sarcastic. Connecticut is turning into a statewide shitshow. It'll be a 5543 sq mi ghetto before the decade's out.

When seconds count, the police are ninety minutes away?

Coming soon to the CT Legislature: Mandatory panic rooms, managed by FEMA like flood insurance. Make it a social program! The people in low crime areas can subsidize the panic rooms of people in high crime areas!
Cower in place, everyone! Cower in place!

Good point soloman! You don't think the cops are going to allow a ruling that would hold them accountable or anything like that do you! WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN PROTECTION!

wasn't there another case like this? a guy was being stabbed on a train and a cop just watched until the victim started to get the better of the attacker, then he decided to help, same outcome in court they said he had no responsibility to help

They may not have a legal obligation to respond, but it shows what piss poor examples of human beings they are.
Most of us where brought up being taught that a MAN protects those who can't protect themselves.
If it was me , I wouldn't miss an opportunity to publicly shame them at every turn.
Doesn't matter if it's an LEO or just and ordinary person, it's just sickening when innocents pay the price for someone elses lack of balls or ambition.

wasn't there another case like this? a guy was being stabbed on a train and a cop just watched until the victim started to get the better of the attacker, then he decided to help, same outcome in court they said he had no responsibility to help
Yeah, Joseph Lozito. Google him if you want to get really pissed and sad. Still no justice for him.

I guess it makes the absurd property tax I pay in my town a **little** easier to swallow. There were 2 cruisers on my street when my house alarm was set off - in under 5 minutes. I think the response time for a home invasion would be as quick.

That said, my daughter knows the safe combo. And she's a pretty good shot.

Back
Top Bottom