home defense firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont know if people have mentioned already, but if you live within Boston city limits... there are bans on specific firearms that are otherwise legal in the state of Mass.... will dig up a link if you havent seen it yet.

I wish I could grow a bead like that too... I can dream right .

Eat your bacon and drink your Guinness. Seems to work for Adam.

- - - Updated - - -

and from reading around here- why do people have a general distaste for the .40 caliber?

Well someone ought to post it, so I will. It would be a shame if the newbies missed it:

This is a repost, but here goes:

I dislike the .40 on principle, and also because of personal experience not related to the performance of the cartridge.

On Principle

The .40 is symbolic of the pussification of America. You see... in the past, someone at a firearms company took a look at a cartridge like the .38 S&W and said, "Hey... If we made this thing longer, we could get more powder into it and make it more powerful." Everybody within earshot said, "Let's do it!", and the .38 Special was born.

One night several decades later, Colonel D. B. Wesson and Phil Sharpe were sitting around on stools made from elephant legs, drinking straight whiskey and smoking Cuban cigars when the Col picked up a .38 Special and said, "Dude, we should make this thing longer, stuff it full of smokeless powder, and give it a cool name. It would kick ass!" to which Phil Sharpe replied, "You're a pussy if you don't", and Bingo! the .357 Magnum was born.

The same thing happened with the .44 - except Elmer Keith wouldn't stop whining about it so he was drinking whiskey alone, angrily writing magazine articles until Remington finally made his cartridge.

The .40 was developed backwards.

In April of 1986, the FBI was involved in a shootout in Miami with two heavily armed career criminals. The bad guys were killed, but not before they took the lives of FBI Special Agents Gerald Dove and Benjamin Grogan. The subsequent investigation placed partial blame for the agents' deaths on the lack of stopping power exhibited by their 9mm handguns, so the FBI adopted the far superior 10mm cartridge.

Field agents loved the additional firepower, but some of the sissy office staff complained about the 10mm's recoil. One day, some pale doughy accountant picked up a 10mm and said, "If someone else would make this smaller and weaker, it wouldn't hurt my little hand as much when I shoot it." His transgender assistant said, "That a great idea! They could even make the guns smaller to fit in my evening bag", and the .40 was born.

Personal Experience

I've been shooting since my early teens. When I was looking for a carry handgun, I made the mistake of asking a blowhard know-it-all former co-worker his opinion.

He had one gun - a Sigma in .40 S&W - which in his mind made him an expert on firearms - and since he had a .40, it had to be the best cartridge ever conceived. After that, every time he saw me he'd spend what seemed like hours expounding on the virtues of the .40 as "the perfect cartridge". As a result, I began to hate it.

The deal was sealed soon thereafter, when I had a bad gun shop experience with some crusty old fossil that tried to hard-sell me a .40. The non-conformist in me kicked into high gear and I said to myself, "I'm never going to own one of these friggin' things".

A side story about the know-it-all blowhard:

A couple of years ago I was talking to the know-it-all blowhard and I mentioned that I was reloading for my .500. He said, "There's no such thing as a .50 caliber revolver". I directed him to Google and told him to do his research. (He must've missed the release of the X-frames because he couldn't hear it over the sound of how awesome the .40 is).

After he decided that it existed, he asked if he could shoot my .500 because he was "proficient with big bore revolvers" and might be able to show me some tips on shooting it. So, I took Mr. Proficiency out to the range, put a single mild load in my 8" .500, he shot it, and dropped my gun! He grabbed his wrist and started hopping around crying like Nancy Kerrigan. He broke the fiberoptic front sight on my revolver and never paid for it. He still loves the .40 though.

why not have bacon cooking all the time when someone breaks in offer them some bacon, bacon can fix anything.

053012_rubsomebacononit_t.jpg

2 thing's not to try while hammered 1. Surf nest. ! No nest wtf I enter to say n e s now I forget no 2. I need app for this Droid to see wtf I'm typing

I am merely making assumptions based on the general disdain I see on here for people of other nationalities and religions. Given that Caucasian people and christian people make the majority of the population of the US, I figured this could generally quell the general xenophobia I have witness on this forum.

I will leave that out next time as it appears that those views aren't 100% shared. I sincerely apologize for my assumptions.

There's a whole bunch of atheists here. And I have no idea as to anyone's color, unless I have met the, and I don't care. And I certainly don't care what your religion is unless you try to force it on me.

Every time I sit down to have an adult beverage or 5, I pick up my phone and a thread like this gets me chomping at the bit to take part in. SO, now the laptop comes out and interrupts mediocre IMPORTANT Food network programming.

Every time I sit down to have an adult beverage or 5, I pick up my phone and a thread like this gets me chomping at the bit to take part in. SO, now the laptop comes out and interrupts mediocre IMPORTANT Food network programming.

5 huh? One short of a 6'r, man up and finish the 6 pack.

[laugh]

Would a vegetarian at a pumpkin shoot need a hunting licence?

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves crapping up a obviously intelligent persons questions as he tries to learn what he can and can not do by talking over him because you don't agree with his outlook. I have one beer left in my 6 pack, I'm going to go finish that puppy off.

My suggestion, would be to come out and try out a few guns. Don't worry about caliber you should get just yet. Find out what feels good and fits you. I think you will find a lot of people on this board are very willing to help out someone new to this hobby. Don't listen to the people who think their opinion trumps all others and try to beat you over the head with their opinions.. If you feel like venturing out into the suburbs I would be happy to host you at my club.

I'm starting to think Derek makes some of these troll accounts so you guys can all get this **** outta your system from time to time.

Oh, and by the way...

Pork shoulder. Target load @ 21 feet. Enough said.

j0igwg.jpg

...what the hell did you shoot that with? A shell full of Montreal Steak seasoning?

Better than a brine injector, I guess.

I honestly don't understand why this is trolling. It appears that the members of this forum are quick to judge and stereotype.

Next time I have legitimate questions, I'll be sure to internalize them, do the research myself, and refrain from openly asking questions. It appears that questions do make people stupid around here.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves crapping up a obviously intelligent persons questions as he tries to learn what he can and can not do by talking over him because you don't agree with his outlook. I have one beer left in my 6 pack, I'm going to go finish that puppy off.

My suggestion, would be to come out and try out a few guns. Don't worry about caliber you should get just yet. Find out what feels good and fits you. I think you will find a lot of people on this board are very willing to help out someone new to this hobby. Don't listen to the people who think their opinion trumps all others and try to beat you over the head with their opinions.. If you feel like venturing out into the suburbs I would be happy to host you at my club.

I sincerely appreciate your offer. You wouldn't happen to have any AKs available to shoot, would you? I know I can't "technically" have them here, but they sure do look likes and fun to shoot.

I sincerely appreciate your offer. You wouldn't happen to have any AKs available to shoot, would you? I know I can't "technically" have them here, but they sure do look likes and fun to shoot.

I can't "technically" have an AK --news to me-- tell Marsha to put them on the list [laugh]

I do, but i wouldn't start you out with something like that. I would want you to start with something more basic and have you work your way up. After all the top priority is you make it home safe.

I honestly don't understand why this is trolling. It appears that the members of this forum are quick to judge and stereotype.

Next time I have legitimate questions, I'll be sure to internalize them, do the research myself, and refrain from openly asking questions. It appears that questions do make people stupid around here.

Your gonna need to get a skin.

IMO - no one can tell you what firearm is right for you. Go shoot. Shoot rifles. Shoot pistols. Try a shotgun or two. If you ask a question like that in a forum like this, expect to get a wide range of responses - from serious to uninformed to flippant to hostile.

Everything else you need to know can be found by researching online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom