holding off cleaning gun for a day?

Dave6

Banned
just bought a new shotgun but realized all my cleaning tools wont handle a 12 gauge brush. Store is closed today and for the holiday. Is it ok to go without cleaning for a couple of days?
I have a ethic where i clean after I am done shooting but i will have to hold off for now.
Is it a real issue if i let them sit for a day or two or should i do something asap?

I usually hold off several months, at a minimum. When my shotgun (old Ithaca 37, older than I am) starts to run rough, I clean it next time I'm in the mood to clean a shotgun.

Your gun will be fine.

I usually take several hand guns and rifle to the range at the same time. The handguns get cleaned when i get home. Over the following week I'll clean a rifle a day until they are done. Never had an issue.

If it's a blued gun, wipe it down with a rag with a bit of oil on it and you'll be fine (assuming modern non-corrosive ammo .... never heard of corrosive shotgun ammo)

With modern powder/primers, it is not an issue. For my trap shotgun, I just run a patch with very light oil on it through the barrel. I run a Boresnake through it whenever I do a total cleaning (every several months on so). I'd be more concerned with leaving fingerprints on the blueing.

Last edited:
Only muskets and guns shooting corrosive ammo need to get cleaned right away.

You're worried about a day?

I went ~7k rounds in my AR15 before cleaning it (had a few failures-to-fire at this point), and even then all I did was hose down the BCG with CLP and wipe off all the parts with a rag. She was back to running like normal.

If it's a pump-action shotty, you needn't worry about it.

Last edited:

I went ~7k rounds in my AR15 before cleaning it, and even then all I did was hose down the BCG with CLP and wipe off all the parts with a rag. And she runs like a top.

as they should....imho

As for shotguns heck other than a wipe with a CLP impregnated rag... I still use the one my dad used for god knows how long. Is all they really need. the barrel does not get as nearly fouled as a rifle (rifled barrel shotty can build up wad plastic ) dont worry buy a boresnake and a barrel mop to apply oil to the bore for protection.

I went ~7k rounds in my AR15 before cleaning it (had a few failures-to-fire at this point), and even then all I did was hose down the BCG with CLP and wipe off all the parts with a rag. She was back to running like normal.

If it's a pump-action shotty, you needn't worry about it.

Lol, and when it stopped running, there was a Marine there the let him know how displeases that made him
[rofl]

As has been said in all other replies, there is nothing to worry about.

Lol, and when it stopped running, there was a Marine there the let him know how displeases that made him
[rofl]

As has been said in all other replies, there is nothing to worry about.

[laugh] Yes, there was. The USAF MSGT wasn't too happy either!

I should also mention that those 7k rounds were spread out over a few years. It's not like this was over just the last few weeks.

I have a very nice trap gun, and if I fire a few rounds of trap, I might run a snake through the barrel or not if I am in a hurry, but I always give the outside a quick wipe down before putting it in the case. I usually give it a Hoppes cleaning once a month. Go shoot and enjoy!

With modern powder/primers, it is not an issue. For my trap shotgun, I just run a patch with very light oil on it through the barrel. I run a Boresnake through it whenever I do a total cleaning (every several months on so). I'd be more concerned with leaving fingerprints on the blueing.

I suppose I will do that. I am using standard winchester modern shells. I was under the impression cleaning had to be done after every sessio. Obviously I am new to the world of shotguns. thank you

I like to know that my guns will work if I need them to. I don't clean every time after shooting, but most of the time. And if I don't, it nags at me and I will eventually do it when I have some spare time. I like to detail strip and take everything down as far as I can get it, just to understand how the gun works.

But in response to the OP query, most modern guns will tolerate very minimal cleaning and still function. Especially shotties.

if it's a pump shotgun there is absolutely no point in cleaning it more than once every 500+ rounds. if it's a semi-auto w gas system then maybe different story.

I have a SMITH & WESSON M&P 9 use as a beater gun I shoot a lot due to the cheep ammo cost and has not been cleaned in 3 years I must have over 1000 plus just the last year alone

I have a SMITH & WESSON M&P 9 use as a beater gun I shoot a lot due to the cheep ammo cost and has not been cleaned in 3 years I must have over 1000 plus just the last year alone

rifling will become completely fouled. modern autoloading pistols can operate under the most extreme circumstances, but there's a reason why manufacturers such as glock still include a rod and brush w every pistol....it's sort of a mfr's "told you so."

in general not a fan of 1000+ rds w/o at least basic cleaning of barrel, breechface, slide and striker channel.

Back
Top Bottom