holding a 1911?

Just acquired a .45 colt 1911 combat elite. It has been tricked-out for bowling pin matches. Has hogue grips. The magazine release has a very large rectangular button that stands proud to the handle grip.

In shooting 150 rounds thru it to get accustomed, I accidently hit the mag release around 8 times. I guess the way I normally hold one puts my right thumb right where this mag release is. My right thumb naturally wants to grab the grip parallel to where my trigger finger is, which is right above this mag release.

So I either have to modify my hold or put the gun back to stock configuration. If I can keep my thumb higher on the grip, like actually touching the safety release, I am ok, but it feels un-natural and I eventually droop my thumb down and grip the grips instead with it and release the mag.

Does anyone else have one set up this way? Where do you keep your right thumb?

Last edited:
You could change the mag release spring or change the mag release back to stock configuration.

Respectfully,

jkelly

thumbs on top of the safety is the correct grip
PMD_4798s.jpg

You should use the thumb-forward grip, with your right thumb on top of the safety:

grip1.jpg

It also sounds as if the gun has an extended magazine release button. I suggest that you change it out for a standard one (which is very easy to do).

Right thumb on the thumb safety, left thumb on the dustcover, and buy a proper magazine release and install it.

good ideas and pix! Thanks guys.

I see now, the sight I have is a Serendipity, and there is a spot on the side with sandpaper attached to rest the left thumb, just like in Supermoto's picture. Makes sense now.

I am used to shooting a standard 1911, and you can not rest your left thumb there, as that part is moving fast!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom