HK versus Glock 19

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Alright, since this gun forum's apparently reverting back to 2010, with talk of .223 versus 5.56, vz. 58s, SKS during SHTF, ammo shortages, and Russian intervention in Ukraine, let's bring back another old timey gun forum favorite: brand wars.

I really want to buy and like a HK handgun. Specifically the P2000 or USP. Problem is neither are friendly for milling the slide for optics mounts. I know that I like shooting handguns with red dots and I want to get an Aimpoint Acro P2 to try out - I've owned a RMR and I found the optics quality unimpressive, but a friend's ACRO P1 has my interest. P2 has better battery life and compatibility than the P1.

There's also the VP9. I've had the courtesy of shooting another member's VP9 and I shot it fine.

Other major contender is a Glock 19 Gen 5. I used to own a Gen 3 G31. Gun was fine, but while .357SIG was fun, the factory ammo was too expensive.

Thoughts? Purpose would be as a larger/woods carry and HD backup gun.

Silly to avoid Beretta 92 X Centurion. Same size but WAAAAAY better than either VP9 or G19. We're talking a whole new level of shooting. SIG M18, I suppose could work too but I don't have a lot of hands-on experience(a couple of mags) compared to the other three guns(hundreds and hundreds of rounds through each).

There is a hierarchy of gun goodness. At the bottom, you have the Taurus' and S&W M&P's. Then you move up to the likes of VP9 and G19. Above that, there is the next level in quality of shooting: Beretta 92 and CZ 75's. Above that, we're getting into Shadow 2's, Staccato's, and so on. Above that, you have the kings with the likes of Atlas, Czhecmate, and Nighthawk.

I had an HK P2000 LEM V2 (.40). Absolutely detested it. Thought the LEM trigger sucked. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. On the other hand, I have a Walther PDP withnthe optics cutout .Shoots like a dream. Love it....

Alright, since this gun forum's apparently reverting back to 2010, with talk of .223 versus 5.56, vz. 58s, SKS during SHTF, ammo shortages, and Russian intervention in Ukraine, let's bring back another old timey gun forum favorite: brand wars.

I really want to buy and like a HK handgun. Specifically the P2000 or USP. Problem is neither are friendly for milling the slide for optics mounts. I know that I like shooting handguns with red dots and I want to get an Aimpoint Acro P2 to try out - I've owned a RMR and I found the optics quality unimpressive, but a friend's ACRO P1 has my interest. P2 has better battery life and compatibility than the P1.

There's also the VP9. I've had the courtesy of shooting another member's VP9 and I shot it fine.

Other major contender is a Glock 19 Gen 5. I used to own a Gen 3 G31. Gun was fine, but while .357SIG was fun, the factory ammo was too expensive.

I also have a G32, but I have the .40cal and 9mm barrel for cheaper ammo shooting...

I had an HK P2000 LEM V2 (.40). Absolutely detested it. Thought the LEM trigger sucked. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. On the other hand, I have a Walther PDP withnthe optics cutout .Shoots like a dream. Love it....
The trigger takes some getting used to, but it's the fastest double action I've ever shot.

I didn't shoot the G19, I got a 'modified' G17, G47. The Glock is pretty fast on the reset, but I shot the .40 HnK faster (slightly) than the 9mm 47.

I had a P2000SK. Hated the trigger and the euro mag release. Sold the gun because it couldn't hold a candle to my Glock 19.

I'd bet my life on a USP, and I did, all the time.
The CBP P2000?
Nope, I carried the USP. Until they finally made me turn it in for a 47. I was one of the long term test guys for the USP that led to the P2K. They tried to take the USP from me on multiple occasions. Even without night sights, I was able to dodge the evil gun grabbers in Green.

Was just reading another thread somewhere indicating that the mounting plate ends up holding pins in, at least in some cases. Not sure if it’s accurate, but I wouldn’t mess with that trouble personally.

I'd bet my life on a USP, and I did, all the time.

Nope, I carried the USP. Until they finally made me turn it in for a 47. I was one of the long term test guys for the USP that led to the P2K. They tried to take the USP from me on multiple occasions. Even without night sights, I was able to dodge the evil gun grabbers in Green.
I carried the P2000 as a duty weapon with CBP. Hated it with a passion. Glad they went back to the Glock

I can’t comment on the other guns but you can’t go wrong with a Gen 5 Glock. I didn’t like any of the Gen 3 Glocks I owned. I found the grip to be too big and chunky. The Gen 4 and Gen 5 grips are smaller and they fit my hand much better. Don’t overlook the G45. I have a G45 and Gen 5 19 and I find the G45 to be more comfortable.

Lol a G19 is not a "large" anything. It's the best size/density compromise you could get, though. It's markedly easier to carry than all the other guns you mentioned in this post save for
maybe the P2K.

Also a USP is a 53 passenger school bus compared to any of them. [rofl] m (its a good gun, but it is on its own planet in terms of size)

Of course the TV set thing screws all that up.

Honestly if I was doing the television set thing I would be looking at a G17 or a G45. A G45 is really a hybrid of a 19 and a 17. I have two of those too, great guns.

Lol a G19 is not a "large" anything. It's the best size/density compromise you could get, though. It's markedly easier to carry than all the other guns you mentioned in this post save for
maybe the P2K.

Also a USP is a 53 passenger school bus compared to any of them. [rofl] m (its a good gun, but it is on its own planet in terms of size)

Of course the TV set thing screws all that up.

Honestly if I was doing the television set thing I would be looking at a G17 or a G45. A G45 is really a hybrid of a 19 and a 17. I have two of those too, great guns.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know the G19 isn't "big", just bigger in comparison to the G48, G43X, G42, SK-line of HKs, etc.

Silly to avoid Beretta 92 X Centurion. Same size but WAAAAAY better than either VP9 or G19. We're talking a whole new level of shooting.
/tucker carlson voice = on "No, it's not. "

Signed, a 92X Centurion owner. Is it a nice gun? Sure, but its not some orgasmic thing vs a 19 or any other gun mentioned in this thread.

I don't think the OP is looking for cool points, rather hes going to be happy as lon gas hes on the "Usable" vs "unusable" side of the chart. Thats literally all thats required. There are a lot of guns on the usable side.

I carried the P2000 as a duty weapon with CBP. Hated it with a passion. Glad they went back to the Glock
You never carried the 96D then. heh.

There is a distinct difference between the USP and the P2k. I shot the P2K, even some 'modified' guns at Harpers Ferry. The trigger of the USP is just better in all aspects, except for a little 'ridge' in the trigger guard that would give me blisters when I shot a lot after not shooting. I wouldn't buy a P2K unless it was the last pistol I could get.

I even had issues after I went to the 47, going back to the P2K in Artesia to teach. It's kinda an all in deal. It took we a while to warm up to the Glock. But I'm carrying a Glock in retirement, looking for a 17 or similar gun to compete with. I can say, generally speaking, qual scores went WAY up with the Glock vs P2K.

Edit: I got a little off the main topic. The HnK is a little wonky to get used to. The Glocks I've shot are just easier to shoot well and fast. I got used to the HnK over the 15 years I carried it and learned it's issues to shoot it well, but it's possible, maybe not worth the effort if you own a lot of guns. One gun only, the HnK is a viable choice.

Last edited:

There is a distinct difference between the USP and the P2k. I shot the P2K, even some 'modified' guns at Harpers Ferry. The trigger of the USP is just better in all aspects, except for a little 'ridge' in the trigger guard that would give me blisters when I shot a lot after not shooting. I wouldn't buy a P2K unless it was the last pistol I could get.

I even had issues after I went to the 47, going back to the P2K in Artesia to teach. It's kinda an all in deal. It took we a while to warm up to the Glock. But I'm carrying a Glock in retirement, looking for a 17 or similar gun to compete with. I can say, generally speaking, qual scores went WAY up with the Glock vs P2K.

Edit: I got a little off the main topic. The HnK is a little wonky to get used to. The Glocks I've shot are just easier to shoot well and fast. I got used to the HnK over the 15 years I carried it and learned it's issues to shoot it well, but it's possible, maybe not worth the effort if you own a lot of guns. One gun only, the HnK is a viable choice.
I bought a g34 with an RMR. Basically a G17 with a long slide. Like it a lot.....

What in particular would you say makes the P2k harder to shoot, the learning curve?

I own three handguns now but I've been around the handgun-go-round block many times. I find that I like handguns without manual safeties that have consistent trigger pulls. Hence my interest in the P2k, VP9, and G19.

I could get a P2k with LEM plus dot, but a G19 would get me to the same place much easier.

What in particular would you say makes the P2k harder to shoot, the learning curve?

I own three handguns now but I've been around the handgun-go-round block many times. I find that I like handguns without manual safeties that have consistent trigger pulls. Hence my interest in the P2k, VP9, and G19.

I could get a P2k with LEM plus dot, but a G19 would get me to the same place much easier.
Let me quote the Sheriff from Smokey and the Bandit and just say, "oomph". This reply could literally be a book.

I taught at our academy during the transition to the Glock, so we had HnK and Glock classes running at the same time. The biggest issue is the 'wall' on the HnK trigger. To shoot fast and accurate, you have to keep the trigger on the wall at all times. With the HnK there is a LOT of trigger to take in vs the Glock where it's just a little creep. It's just more intuitive to shoot the Glock, I guess, to keep this short.

If, IF, you learn the trigger reset on the HnK, it's crisper and faster than the Glock. I'm talking almost AR bumpstock kind of speed.

Some people have an issue with the Glock grip angle. If you can shoot the Glock, get the Glock, be better faster. I really wish I had the trigger time with the HnK I had with the Glock to make a straight up comparison. I had literal MONTHS with the Glock shooting as many rounds as I could handle every day. I shot over 20k rounds in a very short time.

I'm a dedicate Glock guy (and will probably remain so), but I got to shoot my cousin's VP9 and it was really nice.
All things being equal, if I was to do it all over again, I might just pick the VP9.

Right, I found that thread as well, but seems like there's only so many gunsmiths willing to work on HK guns that aren't VP9s versus the Glocks being very easy to mill.
Unless you're talking about a gun you already own, there is no reason to have a glock milled. You can buy a G19 MOS for less of an uptick in price than it would cost to have a non-MOS milled. Not to mention the gazillion aftermarket slide options that can at least equal glock quality. As long as you don't skinflint.

ETA: My EDC. Anyone looking for a quality leather holster check out 1791 gun leather. That holster is worth every penny of the $60 I paid. After 24 hrs w/ a layer of wax-paper between the gun and the holster it was perfectly broken in. It took a bit of work to get the strap to close that first time, now it just lines right up w/ no effort. When you push the gun in it will "click" into place like it would with a kydex holster.

FRT I have no association w/ the company, I'm just extremely pleased with the holster.

G19-1.jpg

G19-2.jpg

The background was poorly chosen and greyed out the colors a bit. It's a tungsten slide and a cobalt frame. The holster is quite a bit more red/burgundy than the pics make is appear.

Last edited:
Glock 17 MOS for the win... no fuss, no mess, no milling. Can carry stock or customize/accessorize to your budget/need.

I have a G19, it's a great compromise for a concealed carry gun, but if you want a full size HD/Outdoor gun, the G17 is more comparable to a USP. I also have Sig and HK hammer-fired guns. I like them too, in .45ACP.

IMG_1549 (1).jpg

IMG_1548 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Interesting to compare a hammer fired to striker fired.

Try getting a 320 vtac...mostly because i want one

That said

The answer to your quest lies in checkylzlvoakia. And yeah i probably butchered that

Get a p09 or a p10 and your answers will be revealed.

Of the 2 you mentioned i hate hk... the best thing i ever got was a p30 that i trade for a glock 17 and a cerakote job on the glock and an ar

So for that reason id get a glock

Back
Top Bottom