• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

History of MASS Registration

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Does anyone know just when Massachusetts started requiring registration of firearms? Exactly when did they begin the requirement to report the sales of firearms to the Commonwealth and how was it instituted?

Thanks.

I'm also curious about the history.

I've been told that LTCs and registration have been around in MA since ~1920s. But I have no direct knowledge of details.

About registraion, packing.org says there is none in Mass. bradycampaign.org says there is "partial" registration.
Do we in this state register the purchase (notification that we have a firearm) or do we register the actual firearm?
Jon

What I was getting at is, are brady and packing wrong? Looks like they are.
Or at some time were we required to only notify of a purchase without identifying the firearm? Then at a later date, the serial number reqirement just get "slipped" in?

JonJ said:
About registraion, packing.org says there is none in Mass. bradycampaign.org says there is "partial" registration.
Do we in this state register the purchase (notification that we have a firearm) or do we register the actual firearm?
Jon

Since you have to put down the make, model and serial number of what it is you're purchasing, the answer is pretty much a moot point.

If you send a request to the CHSB they will send you copies of all blue cards/FA-10s for firearms purchases you have made in the People's Commonwealth.

Whatever you call it, they have a list of your guns.

Interesting point to ponder: If I buy a firearm in this Commonwealth, CHSB will have a copy of the FA-10 and can trace it to me. If I then sell it to you and follow the requirement to report the transfer via another FA-10, they can now trace it to you. I wonder if they then pull my original FA-10 out of their files?

Somehow, I doubt it.

No, no data is ever pulled out. Thus, if you sell to an FFL or to an out-of-state FFL, the paper trail in MA may well end with you!

The few guns I sold to FFLs, I NEVER got a receipt for the sale! Last time was probably 20 years ago. Today I'd never leave a gun at a dealer without getting a receipt for CYA.

Len,

Today I'd never leave a gun at a dealer without getting a receipt for CYA.

I do the same thing. I get a receipt and then attach everything together to show some sort of disposition.

Now, if it does go to an FFL, it "should" be entered into his book. With a receipt you can point any investigators to the FFL.

Back
Top Bottom