Here's a semi-different carry question

I don't see the point. If you carry it, it'll no longer be (or look) "NIB". I think carry wear would reduce the value of the gun more than 'shooting wear'.

Negative. However, I might try it on at home for a bit, see how it rides, see if it prints, etc. But I wouldn't carry or even chamber a round prior to a thorough range session.

Last edited:
Answers

Would you carry a NIB handgun without firing it?

If you had plenty of experience with the gun? You know you can shoot it well and most self-defense situations are close in?

Recognizing there is a one in 10K chance it might not function properly?

Does that offset the potential future resale of an unfired gun?

Be realistic in your answer. Don't take the knee-jerk answer.

Question 1: No I would not. It would be stripped, cleaned then range tested. When I was happy with my familiarity then I would carry it.

Question 2: No - even with experience a NIB firearm is just that "new". It's an individual piece and still needs to be treated as new...cleaned and range tested.

Question 3: That is a chance I will not leave up to the factory.

Question 4: What? Does carrying it offset the value of an unfired gun? Probably if it gets scuffed up from carrying, yes. But only in as much as you sell it as a collectable. I've bought some pretty clean used firearms selling for the same prices as "well used" ones.

Hope that helps.

I put 500 rounds through any gun I want to carry before I carry it. If it will go 500 without a malfunction, it's good.

Some new guns need to be broken in. I would not carry it without testing it out first for cycling and accuracy. It might have passed QC, but still may not function correctly. How could you depend on it without knowing these things?

My thoughts only.

Would you carry a NIB handgun without firing it?

If you had plenty of experience with the gun? You know you can shoot it well and most self-defense situations are close in?
No.

1) I've got a safe full of guns that I've already put lots of ammunition through. I know they will work.

2) I've had failures with new guns before, and not just 1911s. I've had failures to feed and light strikes in new Glocks, for goodness sakes. I've had a Sig 226 that hit very high and needed to have a taller front sight installed. I've had a Kahr K40 rear sight lose that slide off center. Even respected manufacturers build a turkey now and then.

If I haven't put several hundred trouble-free rounds through it, I simply don't trust it.

Last edited:
For starters on most production handguns there is no such thing as an "unfired" gun, as many get test fired from the factory to ensure QC and basic function, and also to get the "fired case" for the failed MD ballistic fingerprinting thing, if they still do that.

I'd never trust a gun I hadn't poured some rounds through beforehand, unless I had no other real choice in the matter.

-Mike

No way....in fact my carry goes with me just about every time to the range and gets fired...so i can stay well aquainted with it, and make sure it's reliable. I chose the gun I carry after shooting and trying many different guns, and shooting at least 500 rounds thru the intended carry piece. Once I made the choice, I put on the night sights, and assume it will take a beating...resale be damned at that point......

I have others that are fired little and spend most of their life in the safe......but my carry is always the gun I like the most....

Recognizing there is a one in 10K chance it might not function properly?

the chances of the gun not working properly are drasticly higher then 1 in 10,000. from my experiance at work the chances are less then 1 in 500 that the weapon will not work properly.

youd be plain stupid to rely on a firearm that your not even sure works!

I've done it before, though I would not preach it nor make a habit of it. Circumstances may merit that you carry it immediately so we can't be to dismissive of the notion.

Nope, I wouldn't trust it till I fired it period. that and I usualy cant wait to try said new toy anyways, would want to verify the defense rounds would feed well also.

Like something you liberate from the ubiquitous mall gun store during the zombie attack?

If thats the case I'm heading to an Army base to grab a few Ma Deuces! [flame] throwers and all other sorts of high rate of fire area suppression tools.

But in seriousness, there are a few cases that I think could merit an immediate purchase to carry option, while we are joking around though it did occur to me that a Katina like situation could occur and someone might not have the option of being able to head out to a controlled range to zero or practice.

My initial comment was more for victims of rape, harassment, stalking, and not-worth-the-paper-restraining orders. T.V. shows us that these women go out to the shop and hit the range the same day and outshoot Julie Goloski by the time the first commercial airs (I'm looking at you Lifetime Network*). The reality is they get the gun and think its a talisman...thats another thread topic though. I should probably add in there that I'm not intentionally casting women in a bad light...

*The Lifetime and Hallmark channels are blocked in my household.

**and QVC.

Circumstances may merit that you carry it immediately so we can't be to dismissive of the notion.

In that case you won't be concerned about the value so it's just a matter of time before you fire it.

And let me add: my concern would not be that the gun would fail and cause me damage if needed, but rather that it would fail to defend me if needed.

I have never bought a 'new' firearm as an investment except for some strictly custom, made to order flintlocks. And they have all been fired.
I never risk carrying a weapon I have not fired and tested, except when immediately carrying to the range to be so tested.
I'll gamble that I can make it to the range without encountering any zombies.

Never, I would have to put several hundred round through the gun first to evaluate its reliability and accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom