Here's a new one

M1911

NES Member
A friend of mine was recently taught a variation of the thumbs-forward grip. The variation that I've used for some time when holding 1911s is as follows:

- right thumb on top of the safety
- left thumb forward, pressing against the forward portion of the slide stop.

Randy Cain recommended this grip at his recent class here in MA.

Here's the variation that my friend was taught -- left thumb on the slide. [shock]

Seems to be a big mistake to me. The instructor reassured him that it would not prevent the pistol from functioning properly....

That's my choice for a grip on the 1911. That way I know when it discharges. Sometimes I hold it from the top so I don't have to look for my brass. When I need to know how many rounds I've fired, I just count the blood blisters on my left hand.

Sheesh!

M1911 said:
A friend of mine was recently taught a variation of the thumbs-forward grip. The variation that I've used for some time when holding 1911s is as follows:

- right thumb on top of the safety
- left thumb forward, pressing against the forward portion of the slide stop.

Randy Cain recommended this grip at his recent class here in MA.

Here's the variation that my friend was taught -- left thumb on the slide. [shock]

Seems to be a big mistake to me. The instructor reassured him that it would not prevent the pistol from functioning properly....

You're saying the same thing. Left thumb on the slide. What am I missing here?

Nope. I'm saying left thumb on the slide stop. The slide stop doesn't move.

He's saying left thumb on the slide. The slide moves. Slowing down the slide movement is generally not a good idea, IMNSHO.

M1911 said:
Nope. I'm saying left thumb on the slide stop. The slide stop doesn't move.

He's saying left thumb on the slide. The slide moves. Slowing down the slide movement is generally not a good idea, IMNSHO.

Gotcha, I misunderstood. I do see a lot of folks that get that left thumb sticking up and it rides the slide, so to speak. And, depending on your firearm, the slide release may not set under your thumb.

I prefer, and advocate, the left thumb parallel along the frame, below the slide. Point your the thumb and shoot.

Same on my HK. My right thumb is directly on the release on my Glock. I don't why folks have trouble those, mine's never been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom