• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Henry .410 lever action shotgun......I did it.

whacko

NES Member
I've been considering these since they first announced them last fall. Some reviews and experts say good move for Henry. Some say the gun is an over priced gun with no real reason. But most of those reviewers took into consideration it's potential as a defensive gun and got into the ballistics of 410 slugs and buckshot on human targets! My take.....not all guns are defensive fire arms! I got it because I hunt small game and am in the field 20 or more times a year in the fall/winter harvesting rabbit and squirrel.....I think this gun is perfect for that job. So I'll agree it's a niche market. But for me.....it actually fits...... And have been considering a 410 for awhile. But the options were slim. A quality single shot can be found for decent price. But it's a single shot. And the pumps looked redicoluse with a full size receiver and that little barrel and I just could not buy one.

So this gun.....it's just right for a small game guy. Holds 6 in the tube. The fit and finish is perfection. I got the shotgun bead rather than the rifle sights. It has changeable chokes and comes with full only in the gun.....wish they could have tossed in a mod choke for what I spent on it but oh well. I'll be hunting squirrel and rabbit in style this fall. Ill be trying it on the trap range this weekend......should turn some heads!

So....my honest opinion......is Henry going to sell a ton of these......probably not. But I have a VERY low serial number And to me it is a perfect small game gun.

Edit......the capacity according to the manual is 5 rounds. But on every video review I've seen the reviewer fires 7. I just tested it out and it can be safely loaded with 7 rounds but have to follow a strict procedure to avoid putting your hand over the muzzle of a chambered shell. Leave the lever open full. Remove the tube....insert 6. Put the tube back. Insert one in the receiver then close the lever. While in a safe direction ..,...thumb the hammer pull the trigger and immediately release the trigger.....lower the hammer. I have a 22 Henry and it's the same slight unnerving process at first......the moment you load that gun the hammer is back and ready to go! Takes some getting used to....but once it is loaded and the hammer is down there is no safer gun to carry in the woods imo

IMG_20170521_160214312.jpg

Last edited:
That pic looks like a cartoon plugged barrel explosion from a distance. Enjoy, I always liked lever guns. Some day...

That looks cool. I like the idea for small game. I've been kinda thinking of one for deer with slugs would be pretty cool. Or just for fun.

I got a chance to put a few through it yesterday afternoon. #6 birdshot patterned quite well.....even distribution in about a 14 inch circle at 25 yards. A bit wider than I expected but definitely a downed squirrel or rabbit at that distance. I fired at 40 yards as well......very wide pattern and thinned out pattern density to the point where I'd call it a "don't shoot" on small game past 40 yards. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned concerned.

Buckshot......used Winchester 000 3 pellet. Fires 4 shots at 25 yards putting the bead on center bull. All 12 pellets hit black of a 12 inch bullseye most in the top half so it hits high. But that's a damn fine pattern for buckshot in my opinion. Now I'm not saying I'm considering 410 buckshot on deer. But......in tight Laurel patches......25 yards and under is normal......it would be a damn pleasure to carry and with 7 rounds on tap and a fast lever reload I'd take it in that situation.

Trap this weekend and I'll post a full range report.

Ok so shot a round of trap with it. To give you a base line I shoot 23-25 every round with my 12 gauge pump "hunting irons".

Yes.....the gun turned alot of heads when I showed up and put it on the gun rack. First guy that saw it pointed and said "rifle"? Nope 410. Then everyone had to take a look. Of course I got the "expensive to shoot trap with that" and "your going to have a hard time hitting anything with a 410" comments! But anyway......a few in the "hunting" group of trap shooters though it was an interesting acquisition.

So....Winchester aa 8 1/2 shot. I hit 16. Damn fine shooting for the first time with a new gun at all let alone a 410. It handles quick.......narrow and short. The front bead is bright bright brass and sits on a nice plane above the flat top receiver. Easy to see and acquire. The gun cycled perfectly........have to open the lever to eject with authority but works nice.

I'd have no problem taking squirrels and rabbits to 40 yards and it's a nice carrying piece.

The only negative I can mention so far is when I patterned it with buckshot the mag tube somehow popped off the notch and jammed the lever. I could have sworn I had put it in tight......just something to keep an eye on as I have read that henry big boy frame rifles have this issue every now and then. The fix is just a thicker rubber gromet so not a huge deal but for a fair range report thought i woukd mention it.

I'm happy with the purchase!

If you are a regular small game hunter that is looking for a .410 and something very different you can't go wrong with a 410 henry lever.

Last edited:
The improved cylinder investor choke arrived ups from Brownells today........too late to head to the range to test some slugs though! I'll post those results when I get out maybe Sunday afternoon.

Sling some doubles with the spring slinger last Sunday.......I can reliably hit doubles with this gun. The lever is nice and smooth.

Nice looking gun....

"Some say the gun is an over priced gun with no real reason."

If you like the price who cares......as far as a gun with no real reason....never heard of gun with no real reason.

Enjoy it and let us know how you do shooting trap.

Nice looking gun....

"Some say the gun is an over priced gun with no real reason."

If you like the price who cares......as far as a gun with no real reason....never heard of gun with no real reason.

Enjoy it and let us know how you do shooting trap.

I hit for 16 shooting trap. But the first two stations was me Learning where it hit. I cleared the 4thbamd 5th station once I figured out she's a flat shooter! Can't wait to take it again for trap.

Using our spring slinger I can reliably hit doubles with it.....the lever is smooth and fast.

looks like a fun bunny gun.

That is the plan. Can't wait for small game season.....we really figured out the squirrel and rabbit hunting last season. It's going to be a nice woods and brush gun this fall.

I just watched a review from Gunblast. Beautiful looking gun. The checkering and the wood looked great with typical Henry fit and finish.

The fit and finish is the best of any gun I have in my safe. High quality. The attention to making a fine product is definitely apparent.

Still amazed at the tight pattern it throws with #6 shot.

Update got some time for some slugs

25 yards Winchester 2 1/2 inch 1830 fps rifled slugs

Pretty tight group for just a front bead. I may just have to drill and tap the receiver for a red dot sight!
IMG_20170614_175127624.jpg

Not shabby at all.
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a deer with it.

I'm ok with the grouping at 25 yards. I'd stretch it to 35-40 actually. I'm still on the fence as to if it's enough power as I have a couple of 20 gauge pumps in the safe that have hammered many deer in my days.

Im still researching. I'm hearing 410 slugs are above 357 Magnum and a bit below 44 Magnum on the terminal ballistics charts. Anyone out here in the "yes" camp on 410 slugs for deer at closer ranges?

My BIL on his last couple of hunts took two deer with a 410 double and slugs.
Due to the placement of his pacemaker shooting anything bigger was sketchy.
Both good vital hits and they went down.
Guessing, but I would say the longest shot was 60 yards.

My BIL on his last couple of hunts took two deer with a 410 double and slugs.
Due to the placement of his pacemaker shooting anything bigger was sketchy.
Both good vital hits and they went down.
Guessing, but I would say the longest shot was 60 yards.

My 20 gauges have stopped all the deer I've taken dead cold in their track. Longest "run" after I've shot was 30 yards and down. I'm definitely happy with 20 gauge slug performance. I just think it would be cool to hunt with a lever gun in 410!!!

Ill do some more testing and range time. I'll start shopping for a smith to tap the receiver for a mount. It's a wide and very flat surface so it should make for a solid mount.

Update. Hit for 23 on the trap range today. Once I figured out it shoots flatter than my other field guns hitting clays is a breeze.

Turning out to be a fun gun. Opening day of small game season can't come soon enough.

Update. Hit for 23 on the trap range today. Once I figured out it shoots flatter than my other field guns hitting clays is a breeze.

Turning out to be a fun gun. Opening day of small game season can't come soon enough.

Gee, thanks for that. I can't get close to that with a 28 ga. [wink]

Honestly, great results on trap!

Nice looking gun.

Smoking some doubles with a lever action shotgun. This thing is way too much fun. I hit 8 sets straight.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OES9LSThicY[/video]

Back
Top Bottom