Help with Mass FA-10 form through FFL

Hi,

I'm just got promoted and became a "responsible person" on a ma. FFL from the ATF and a user for the FBI(NICS EZCheck site) I was told by my boss to read all the rules and regs. before he promoted me and I said I did. I actually studied for a week. I also have a LTC in Ma.
VERY CONFUSING not much info on some of my questions.

I have a couple questions to you Ma.FFL dealers.

Before I start with questions I want to add that I asked my boss to order a BT-99 on the last wholesale order for myself which is still in possession in the shop and not transferred to me. He told me figure out how the transaction should work before we will do the transfer to me. I only get one shot at this.
This is how I believe it should work.

1. Fill out Form 4473 up to FBI background check(NICS)
2. go online to complete NICS ezcheck to get a proceed and put NTN# on Form 4473

Next step is confusing for the state part of the transaction, because I don't have a pin# from the state to sell firearms, so ("responsible person") is only for the federal side of the transaction.

4.My boss will have to do the FA-10 form on paper and send it to the (FRB), because I saw large empty envelopes typed EFA-10 and a (FRB) address on it. I know the store is out of FA-10 paper forms, that's why I'm confused maybe.
Or are those envelopes outdated and the dealer can do a FA-10 form online after 2013. If so is the website different then the civilian FA-10 website? Reason why I'm asking is because there is nowhere to put FFL license # for the seller.

Thank You

Subquestions:
Does a FFL have to do a FA-10 form on themselves if my boss took home the BT-99?

Last edited:
An FFL is not required to do a 4473 on himself or a NICS check when transferring to his private collection. He also is not required to do an FA10 when selling to you, but must still do a 4473......I think.

Parker,
I believe this is a test to make sure I understand all the rules, but like I stated in my post. Mass is confusing, there is nothing in black &white like the federal side. How would you do it?
Thanks

An FFL is not required to do a 4473 on himself or a NICS check when transferring to his private collection. He also is not required to do an FA10 when selling to you, but must still do a 4473......I think.

I am unaware of any MA exemption when a gun is sold by a gun shop to an employee!

That is only for individuals. Not for partner or corp FFLs.

Q: Does an individual (not a corporation or partnership) licensee have to conduct a NICS check on himself or herself prior to transferring a firearm to his or her own personal collection?

No. The regulations do not require a licensee to complete a Form 4473 prior to transferring a firearm to his or her own personal collection. A NICS check is not required either. Such transfers must be recorded in the manner prescribed by the regulations at 27 CFR 478.125a.

Also I am really surprised that a shop owner would put someone on the FFL and NOT properly show them what needs to be done or at least explain the FA10/MIRCS system that would be used as it is different than the standard online system for registrations/sales.

That is only for individuals. Not for partner or corp FFLs.
Kudos to you if you can extract such clarity from the laws - state or Federal. Many of these laws are confused in their text as to what a "person", "partner" or "corporation" actually is and where the immunity falls.

Jack is a wise man, CYA.

Back
Top Bottom