help with a friend

Just make sure that he can follows the basic rules and knows how to properly handle a firearm before you bring him on a range. Last thing we want to see in the news is gangsta with gun shoots himself or someone else at local range. They're looking for any excuse at all to close down ranges now.

This friend sounds like the type you may want to start with one or 2 rounds in the mag at a time to make sure he does not put one over a berm or into some other unwanted place/direction. An a nice bolt action "sniper" rifle might not be a bad way to start. Little chanceof rapid fire from a newb with a bolt. Who knows he may catch on or decide it's not as cool as it looks on tv. Either way at least you did your part.

I just dont shoot with folks who are not safe and will not listen to some direction, period. It is kind of letting folks into your house. If you dont trust them, they should not be there. I dont care if they are friends, family, whomever. I do however invite newbies to the range all the time though. I figure all the great knowledge that my Dad's friends passed down to me, its my duty to get new shooters involved so this sport does not go down the tubes.

Exactly.

If you have to 'persuade' them that much to join you.

If they set certain demands that are unrealistic.

If they show no sign of honest interest and a willingness to learn the right thing.

In my opinion you are doing yourself a severe disservice in allowing them to shoot at all.

Wait until they are willing and are seeking to "do it right".

This isn't the XBox where if you just screw around it's OK.

Offer to take a woman he knows and finds attractrive. If he is not single, just take his woman. Once you get her to go, then he's a cinch.

Funny thing is she grew up shooting clays at her grandfathers. She's so used to it, that she has no interest to go. supposedly the grandfather made him shoot the 12G once.

Thanks for all the advice. just for the record, i wasn't planning on starting him off with full magazine! i'll have him learn the same way i taught my girlfriend. start with the basic safety rules, have him handle an unloaded gun, 1 round at a time and build from there. We'll see if he wants to go, but i'm done asking.

I really just think he's seen too much TV and doesn't really know the truth about guns. That and he's infatuated with gangs like the hells angels and bloods and crypts. He watches gangland and likes gangs... no clue why. He's almost afraid of his own shadow, and is kind of a puss... so i have no clue why he thinks it's bad ass to be associated with a gang or something.

he can't be too gangsta if he's afraid of a little recoil! i agree with the youtube vids. show him how it's done, and maybe even start him with airsoft or BB in the back yard. thats how i started with my 10 yr old son. respect, safety, and proper procedure is always the first step! good luck.

Just my 2 cents....

Take him to a skeet or trap match, IDPA shoot or, better yet, a youth (yut) competition. where both of you are spectators. Arrange for him to meet some of the competitors and let him ask some questions about the sport. Let him get a feel for the training, devotion and practice it takes to shoot well. Maybe he'll get an appreciation when he talks to other (non-family, non-friends) about what they feel about the sport. At the end of any of the shoots ask him if he thinks he can do better, then take him to range and give him a chance to see just how difficult it is. Might light a fire under him.

I'll second what everyone else said about not bringing him to the range and I'll add;

If he's still acting "gangsta" at 26, he's not a friend and you have not realised this yet.

I tried shooting sideways for two reasons. I wanted to see if the pistol functioned correctly and how accurate it was. The gun worked perfectly and I shot awful. As long as he can do so safely,let him shoot sideways. When he sees how bad he does, maybe he'll listen. As others have said,put one round in the gun. If he starts dancing around with hot brass next to his skin, at least the gun will be empty. If he drops your expensive gun in the dirt, it's time to go home.

Back
Top Bottom