Help picking red dot MOA size

Picking up my first red dot (Trijicon SRO) and trying to decide between the 3 and 5 MOA sizes. Having spent fairly little time with a red dot before, I’m having a tough time deciding. Sight will be going on a pistol used mostly <25 yards and never over 50 yards. Thoughts? Not looking to drive mails, but shooting with my iron sights feels like trying to do brain surgery with 6 foot wide hands.

I have RMR in 6 and 3 MOA. I first got the 6MOA on a .45ACP thinking I would need the larger size to acquire sight faster. Later got 3MOA for 9mm. Found I can acquire the 3MOA just as fast and it "blooms" less at higher brightness levels. If doing it over I would have only gotten 3MOA.

I've heard someone advise getting the 3MOA as the best of both worlds so you can crank it brightest and simulate the 6MOA with the blooming effect, but it scatters too much light across the entire lens for my liking, not just minimally enlarging the dot.

Another consideration, though perhaps not relevant to your stated range, is whether the dot can be too big for precision. 3MOA represents .3 inches at 10 yards, .6 inches at 20 yards. The 5MOA would be .5 and 1.0 inches at 10 and 20 yards.

So I recommend the 3MOA. If you're in central MA I can join you at the range to compare 6 and 3.

i say go with what ever you can see the best and to the best size for targets your going to use. If your just blasting center mass hits on target 3-5 moa will do that.

I have RMR in 6 and 3 MOA. I first got the 6MOA on a .45ACP thinking I would need the larger size to acquire sight faster. Later got 3MOA for 9mm. Found I can acquire the 3MOA just as fast and it "blooms" less at higher brightness levels. If doing it over I would have only gotten 3MOA.

I've heard someone advise getting the 3MOA as the best of both worlds so you can crank it brightest and simulate the 6MOA with the blooming effect, but it scatters too much light across the entire lens for my liking, not just minimally enlarging the dot.

Another consideration, though perhaps not relevant to your stated range, is whether the dot can be too big for precision. 3MOA represents .3 inches at 10 yards, .6 inches at 20 yards. The 5MOA would be .5 and 1.0 inches at 10 and 20 yards.

So I recommend the 3MOA. If you're in central MA I can join you at the range to compare 6 and 3.
Appreciate it. I guess where I’m stuck is just how accurate is the average pistol (user independent)? I’ve been trying to read and best I can tell, 5 MOA is about it for most production ones (hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong). If that’s the case, is it even worth getting a dot that has a smaller MOA than my pistol?

IMHO, if action shooting (IDPA/USPSA) then 5MOA, otherwise 3MOA. For fast sight pictures the bigger dot works better and it's plenty accurate when aiming at man size targets.

Appreciate it. I guess where I’m stuck is just how accurate is the average pistol (user independent)? I’ve been trying to read and best I can tell, 5 MOA is about it for most production ones (hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong). If that’s the case, is it even worth getting a dot that has a smaller MOA than my pistol?

A pistol can be pretty accurate if zeroed with a Ransom or some other mechanical rest. What kind of pistol is this?

I personally like 3.25MOA dots.

Back
Top Bottom