Help, is this a scam? Selling guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

Need input. I advertise a rifle for $1500. The buyer emailed and send me a cashier check of $4500. The reason for such large discrepancy he said the bank lady misunderstood him about the amount.

What makes me suspicious he keeps on saying he is very busy, constantly on business travel . Is this a type of scam? Seems to be too good to be true.

Yes, it's a common scam. The original money order is no good, he hopes you'll send him a "refund" of real money. Then, later, the money you received is revealed to be bogus and the bank debits your account, and you're out your money.

From Experian, the credit bureau:
  • Overpayment ploy. With this method, also known as an "excess" scam, the crook agrees to buy an item for sale online, pays with a (bogus) money order for an amount larger than the price of the item, then asks you to send back the amount they overpaid. Anytime you get a payment that exceeds the amount you expect, alarms should go off: Don't deposit the money order.

It's a scam,but don't just let it go. You need to f^*k with him a little like ask him the address,and phone to the FFL he is going to use.
Also tell him that when the check clears you will send the difference to the FFL with the gun.

Nope, from Zamunda
5Ro7.gif

Dont bother asking your bank - the check is bogus
Will take extra time to clear at which time they will suck the money out plus a bad check fee as a kick in the nuts

If the bank actually screwed up the amount you can just cancel it right there and have a new check drawn - why trust a stranger with 3k when you can fix the issue right there for under $5 or most likely free.

Hang it on the wall as a souvenir.
I know a guy who has a collection of them.
When he gets an obvious scam response, he gives a fake name, " Richard Nixon", "Alexander Hamilton", "Frank Zappa", etc.
He once gave his pal the police chief's name and station's address.
Scammer goes through the fake money order and mailing process, costs him time and money. You get the souvenir, and satisfaction.

Thanks guys. I might ask my bank to check if the funds is available since it us a cashier check.
No. The check is either bogus or it is a check they printed on a real business but is not actually an authorized check. I have seen both.

They are taking advantage of a real issue in our banking system. Your bank will clear funds in a fixed number of days on any check deposited regardless of whether they know from the clearinghouse that it is valid or has funds. They USUALLY know but not always. If it eventually bounces, they debit your account.

The scammer relies on you thinking funds availability means good to go. You are then out the item, out your cash overpayment you sent and otherwise f***ed.

I have also received checks that are "valid" in the sense they are for a real account, but not actually real but stolen. They buy something from Retail Shop. They return it and Retail Shop issues a refund by check. They then have all the info needed to create fake checks from Retail Shop and run their scam.

I collect bogus checks (I dont deposit them). My last one the person was from State 1, he mailed the check from State 2, the Fedex account used to mail the check was from State 3, he provided a badly photoshopped copy of a FFL from State 4 and it was clearly photoshopped and bogus (there is encoding in the numbers that most people dont know so faking takes at least 90 IQ), and the phone number he gate me was from State 5. The check that arrived was from a business in NH and I called them and told them. They were damn thankful and had to deal with their bank as a raft of bogus checks had been issued against their account.

Play along. Get the check. Post it here and all the supporting evidence. Its a game so waste their time.

If your bank cashes it, and later determines that it's fraudulent, they'll be asking/demanding that you replace the funds.

Walk the fck away from this. It's a scam.
Actually they won't cash it unless YOU have the funds in an account there to back it up. Your funds in that amount will be unavailable until the check clears.

I was selling a 24' boat back in 2010 and posted it on CL for $8,500.00.

I was contacted by someone allegedly in France and they want to buy the boat but they wanted to give me $25k and a contact name here in the US to arrange shipping.

LMFAO.

Like they don't have 1993 24' Signature 24 Chaparrals in France?

Scam written all over it.

I remember basically telling whoever to screw but they kept chasing and pushing.

Finally I did sell it and took the ad down and it all went away.

Last edited:
Actually they won't cash it unless YOU have the funds in an account there to back it up. Your funds in that amount will be unavailable until the check clears.
Actually no. There are Federal Reserve requirements on funds availability. Most checks will "clear" in 1-2 business days or at least the first $5000. That is the basis of the scam, your belief that the funds are real because they became available to you. It is simply that the bank is following Federal Reserve requirements and making funds available to you. Then when it all falls apart they go after you for the missing money.

First day on the internet? First day on planet Earth?
It is amazing how easy it is to make people fall for stuff.

Walk over to your IT department at work and speak with the Security team, they will tell you all about Phishing Emails and how easy it is.

People want it to be true so bad, that all common sense dissapears.

You dont need many to fall, but when you send this to 1K people, if just 4 or 5 fall, you made a nice $10-20K or more.

Look at the OP as an example, was told it is fake on every single post, and the dude still wants to deposit the check and see what the bank says.

Hi everybody,

Need input. I advertise a rifle for $1500. The buyer emailed and send me a cashier check of $4500. The reason for such large discrepancy he said the bank lady misunderstood him about the amount.

What makes me suspicious he keeps on saying he is very busy, constantly on business travel . Is this a type of scam? Seems to be too good to be true.
Where did you list it?

Hi everybody,

Yeah right. Ok

This is obviously a scam. But give the OP a break, only has a few posts, maybe doesn’t use the internet much, maybe elderly who knows?

I have an elderly family member that almost fell for a scam like this. Lucky for them an alert and conscientious bank teller knew it was a scam.

I know for some here it sounds unbelievable that someone could fall for something like this. But keep in mind that these scams continue because eventually someone takes the bait.

This is obviously a scam. But give the OP a break, only has a few posts, maybe doesn’t use the internet much, maybe elderly who knows?
People have been nice.

But, when everyone tells you it is a scam, and you decide you will still deposit the check because 'it could be real', the only thing that might finally wake that person up is some tough love.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom