• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help, is this a scam? Selling guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
But give the OP a break, only has a few posts, maybe doesn’t use the internet much, maybe elderly who knows?
No excuses for elderly- they've been alive longer than most of us. No one has ever intentionally paid 3X the asking price to a complete stranger due to a clerical error.

No excuses for elderly- they've been alive longer than most of us. No one has ever intentionally paid 3X the asking price to a complete stranger due to a clerical error.
LOL ok, your're smarter than the elderly now? Is ok though, you will never be the elderly . . .

WOW, that is some real compassion there. I guess you never plan on getting old. The family member I mentioned that got scammed was suffering from early-onset Alzheimer’s, the scam was one of our first indications.

You are really out of touch. I honestly hope that you never have to witness someone close to you dealing with Alzheimer’s or Dementia. Because if you ever do you WILL be making “excuses for the elderly”

WOW, that is some real compassion there. I guess you never plan on getting old. The family member I mentioned that got scammed was suffering from early-onset Alzheimer’s, the scam was one of our first indications.

You are really out of touch. I honestly hope that you never have to witness someone close to you dealing with Alzheimer’s or Dementia. Because if you ever do you WILL be making “excuses for the elderly”
I agree with you, but you are fighting the wrong fight.

The OP was warned multiple times it is a scam.
The OP said he might still go to the bank and try to cash it.

This is beyond being young, old, nice, mean, or not knowing it is a scam. This turned into stupidity a while back.

Not being an NES member means that you could not have advertised it here

And don't try shopping for a puppy online these days! My parents were looking recently, and it was scam after scam online.

My cousin's kid bought a puppy with a fake check. A beautiful St. Bernard that his girlfriend's kids always wanted. A very expensive dog.

Girlfriend was less than amused when the cops showed up a week later and took the puppy from the arms of her crying children. Or should I say ex-girlfriend...

Kid is a train wreck. Last I heard he has 11 warrants in 3 states. Family has not seen him in a number of years. A real POS.

Actually no. There are Federal Reserve requirements on funds availability. Most checks will "clear" in 1-2 business days or at least the first $5000. That is the basis of the scam, your belief that the funds are real because they became available to you. It is simply that the bank is following Federal Reserve requirements and making fun
available to you. Then when it all falls apart they go after you for the missing money.
@556USER used the term “cash” rather than deposit.
Actually they won't cash it unless YOU have the funds in an account there to back it up. Your funds in that amount will be unavailable until the check clears.
If you take the check to your bank and cash it (i.e. get real money), then the bank will put a hold on an equal amount of funds in your account. From DCU’s Account Agreement:
  1. Holds on Other Funds for Check Cashing – If DCU cashes a check for you that is drawn on another financial institution, we may delay your ability to withdraw a corresponding amount of funds that you already have in an Account with DCU. The funds in your Account will be held for a period equal to the length of time the check would have taken to become available if it had been deposited rather than cashed.
They do make a distinction between “cashed” and “deposited”.

Actually no. There are Federal Reserve requirements on funds availability. Most checks will "clear" in 1-2 business days or at least the first $5000. That is the basis of the scam, your belief that the funds are real because they became available to you. It is simply that the bank is following Federal Reserve requirements and making funds available to you. Then when it all falls apart they go after you for the missing money.
So if I have only $100 in my account at Acme bank and I walk in with a random $4000 check and say cash this they will hand me 40 Benjamins over the counter? If true, it's no wonder things are so bleeped up.

I agree with you, but you are fighting the wrong fight.

The OP was warned multiple times it is a scam.
The OP said he might still go to the bank and try to cash it.

This is beyond being young, old, nice, mean, or not knowing it is a scam. This turned into stupidity a while back.
OK, so there is no chance that the OP is elderly or challenged in any way? We have decided that they are just stupid???

Come on man, you are better than that.

OK, so there is no chance that the OP is elderly or challenged in any way? We have decided that they are just stupid???

Come on man, you are better than that.
Maybe the OP can come back and tell us about his challenge rather than assuming.

You are actually considering the fact that someone would accidentally get a cashiers check for more than what they want and wouldn't tell the bank they screwed it up, instead you'd send it to a complete stranger and expect them to return the excess?

Then you'd ask on a public forum because you've never heard of this common scam?

You’re such a prick 😍
LMAO, it was not my intention to come across that way.

But we have one guy saying the OP may have issues. We have another one saying he just ignores advice (me). Let the OP tell us.

And this thread blows.

Maybe the OP can come back and tell us about his challenge rather than assuming.
You’re such a prick 😍
LMAO, it was not my intention to come across that way.

But we have one guy saying the OP may have issues. We have another one saying he just ignores advice (me). Let the OP tell us.

And this thread blows.
listen, there’s so much joke in here - people that play chess might need stitches lol

This is why I demand that all my online transactions be paid in nickels.

Very rarely counterfeited (but is has been done)

• Wow
Reactions: AHM
Dude is from Philly, he's probably asked the same question on multiple gun forums. I hope he cashes the check and buys his boyfriend something nice.
Don't be mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom