Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sucks, I'm stuck in St Louis until Friday on Business, I knew I should have ran up to Minuteman Arms for the lowers last weekend.

harry, sad day

Dang. I was gonna try and sell my Saiga 308 before moving out of this shit hole state. Guess I'll just have to bring it with me.

How would my bolt action rifle that happens to use an AR lower for the trigger group be in violation. It isn't a semi-automatic so it fails the first test and all subsequent tests to be an AW or copy of one.

So an AR lower should be perfectly legal right up until you build it as a semi-automatic something.

Then again, I should be able to order ammunition and have it shipped to me too.

Nope, i don't know what the 'official' wording is but in her opinion peice she said anything that uses parts from an AR is automatically an assault weapon. Again depending on wording this includes any weapons with rails on it (including shotguns and handguns) because the same accessories fit on an AR.

Sold two AKs in the last two weeks. Have one now but shit I could have made a chunk of $ if I had them today....

Call if you live in the Worcester & Middlesex district of Senator Jennifer Flanagan, that is Fitchburg, Leominster, Lancaster, Ashburnham, Gardner, etc. etc.

(617) 722-1230

They answered right away, said they have had emails but no calls.

Senator Jennifer Flanagan is a Democrat but she was NRA endorsed with an A- rating.

Her staffer was very nice on the phone, I was polite but firm that nothing short of action on the Senate floor would suit me.

Call call call. Thanks

FDLh37_J.jpg

fg_31.jpg~original

It is perfectly relevant because how the **** does the system know I have an "assault weapon" without recognizing make and model? How is it going to flag the guns?

I buy a rifle called a Super Zagnut, it's checked off as low capacity. How does the system know whether or not it is a banned gun? It doesn't.

Wrong. Not in every circumstance. If I outbound those guns FA-10s are not filed. Or if the dealer buys them from me and sells them on gunbroker. No FA10s filed there.

It is queryable but it is a ****ing mess. That's the part you don't understand.

The only way this would become less than a Tinfoiler phantasm it currently is if the legislature decides to completely **** gun owners and fund a bill that demands confiscation or something like that. This AG stuff is an annoyance; but if the legislature voted for this we would be genuinely ****ed.

-Mike

Mike, All I can say is I sincerely hope you are right.

For the late comers who don't want to read the whole thread and people worried they are coming for you...

From the official release: http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/assault-weapons-guidance.pdf

Application of this Enforcement Notice (dealers licensed under G.L. c. 140, § 122):

The Guidance will not be applied to future possession, ownership or transfer of Assault weapons by dealers, provided that the dealer has written evidence that the weapons were transferred to the dealer in the Commonwealth prior to July 20, 2016, and provided further that a transfer made after July 20, 2016, if any, is made to persons or businesses in states where such weapons are legal.

Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):

The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016. The AGO reserves the right to alter or amend this guidance.

That last line does give pause though.

From her statement (OP):https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...weapons-ban/eEvOBklTriWcGznmXqSpYM/story.html

Assault weapons prohibited under our laws cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts.

We recognize that most residents who purchased these guns in the past believed they were doing so legally, so this directive will not apply to possession of guns purchased before Wednesday

Obviously things can change at any moment, clearly proven today. But as it stands right now, at least according to the quotes above, NO you did not all become felons overnight

"The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal"

What does this even mean? Where is this mentioned in the Massachusetts AWB? Is this made up completely or am I missing something because I find it hard to believe that this was over looked by probobly hundreds of lawyers over the past decade..

i think this could turn out good for us here is why:

1 Healey announced this in during the summer. that means that we can mobilize. In the winter it is harder to get people to hold signs, protest, and knock on legislators doors. We need to mobilze and get heard.

2 We have a Republican Governor. yes I know Romney F'd us but it's better that Duval.
3. She did her best Darth Vader impression today (vid for fun). She opened things up for a court battle. Give money and time. support our LOCAL gun orgs and lets give her a fight. Maybe we can get the AWB thrown out. wouldn't that be something to celebrate. she got greedy now lets organize and fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
does prior ownership apply to purchased lowers or does it need to be a completed rifle

That's a question I have too. In MA lowers aren't firearms so I'd say no, but then this guidance says lowers are banned too.. So which is it? Possession of lower today or what MA determines is a firearm?

does prior ownership apply to purchased lowers or does it need to be a completed rifle

There is written law, Healy law, law that the Mass courts decide to infer, and whatever you might get out of a plea agreement or jury verdict. With respect to guns in Mass, as so clearly illustrated today, there is no such thing as rule of law or knowing how to comply.

Everyone in and out of state.

I wonder if S&W knew this was coming? They canceled the IDPA BUG nationals a couple weeks back w/ no explanation...

If every semi-auto is an assault weapon that pretty much makes everyone competing from out of state a felon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom