Headspace

DaBuh

NES Member
Good afternoon All,
So I've have had an itch for a Mosin Nagant for a few months now (type 53 due to price)... I've been researching and hearing about headspace could be a problem with these. If I happen to get one that does have a headspace issue, is it fixable?
Thanks!

I don't know about a mosin specifically, but on other rifles such as ARs or bolt actions I own - if it's out of spec for headspace it's either the barrel or bolt. One of the two are no longer in spec and require replacement.

Technically on an AR it could also be the barrel extension. But barrels all come with them generally so I look at them as one in the same.

Again - I don't know about Mosin's but my OPINION would be that if it were out of head space I would replace both the barrel and bolt. That's just me. Once parts become "mated" through repetitive use I just don't feel comfortable slapping a new part to mate with a used one.

Last edited:
not sure about chinese mosins but any russian mosin imported here will have a correct headspace.
exception of the rule are 'second hand' mosins that were 'tinkered' with by 'home gunsmiths'
but knowing how difficult removing a barrel from mosin is i would not worry about this possibility too much. very unlikely.
i'd say just buy russian one and don't worry about it. although chinese ones are probably are OK too.
don't put too much trust into Internet lore. half of those 'home gunsmith' can't headspace their own dick not to mention surplus rifle.

as for 7.62x54r specifically since it's a rimmed round it headspaces on the rim, not shoulder.
it would be pretty damn impossible to mess-up chamber area of the barrel (through normal use) or bolt face for that matter. there is a raised edge around bolt face that you would have to mess-up big time first, before you even get to actual bolt-face.
i just would not worry about stuff like that WTR to mosins. if bolt and receiver numbers match it's 99.9% headspace is all good as well.

Last edited:
Tie rifle to tree or bench,tie a long string to the trigger and pull.If the rifle does not blow up,or the casing is not deformed your good to go.

All you would need to do is replace the bolt head. Out of my entire collection including Finns none did not pass the go or no go gauge.

Back
Top Bottom