Headspace gauges.

This is an excellent company to deal with. I have their 303 gauges and they are a very good product.

For the purposes of a Mosin, I would just get the field gauge.

http://www.okiegauges.com/

im looking to see if any one has these locally. i plan to go shooting this weekend and would like to have these checked before then

Headspace gauge for a mosin nagant, tie rifle to bench or tree load round, tie long rope to trigger step back and fire.I do this with any old rifle I buy, even if the headspace was checked.

I have a set but I am not near Essex county. Just remember if you do get a set you have to remove the extractor to have it work correctly. If you don't to take the chance of not getting a proper reading.

I would place a round in the chamber, place the rifle in a secure bench rest, duck your head under the bench and pull the trigger. out of the 100's of Mosins I own only one failed the head space test. That one was a bubba rifle to start with.

Good luck, if not see you in the after life[laugh]

Last edited:
Brought both mosins out today. Both fired, no broken peices and im still in one piece. Only issue i had was with the 91/30 loaded 5 rounds and the first round didnt want to chamber. Solved this issue by pointing the barrel down and seemed to help.

Brought both mosins out today. Both fired, no broken peices and im still in one piece. Only issue i had was with the 91/30 loaded 5 rounds and the first round didnt want to chamber. Solved this issue by pointing the barrel down and seemed to help.

With the rimmed cartridge you have to take some care when loading them into the magazine. make sure the cartridge is set all the way back and the tip of the round is not hitting the magazine.

I have some stripper clips if you would like. Here is the deal. you take care of those babies and I will karma you 2 stripper clips. Deal?

p.m. me your address if you want them.
Welcome to the Mosin Collectors group, just ask martin08 how addicting they are!!!!!

If you can find a reasonably prices Finn M39 make that your next purchase. You will be amazed at how accurate they are.

I have a set but I am not near Essex county. Just remember if you do get a set you have to remove the extractor to have it work correctly. If you don't to take the chance of not getting a proper reading.

That was the nice thing about the Yankee Engineers head space gauges, they were cut out so that you didn't have to remove the extractor. I say was because last I knew they weren't making them any longer. Too bad because they're in Brockton.

I have them for my Mosin and Enfield rifles and they are very easy to use.

ETA: It looks like the Okie gauges have the same type of extractor cut out as the Yankee ones do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom