Garand headspace issue, input wanted.

Standing at the ATM video chatting with my new BFF
I just received my Grandfathers bring back M1. I disassembled and cleaned the bolt, cleaned the chamber, and placed the no-go gauge in. It closed with no effort. Same with the field. It closes without the least bit of resistance. The rifle is in good condition otherwise. I have a feeling I am doing something wrong. The gauge is a Forster. Any ideas before I drop $100 on a bolt? I have also read that it is safe to fire regardless. I don't really buy into that, but again, does anybody have input on firing anyway? Thanks.

Can I ask what was the reason to think that it needed the headspace checked? Has it ever been shot recently or was he someone to tinker and take off barrels? Did he have a bunch of chamber reamers kicking around? Unless there is some reason to doubt that the thing is properly chambered, my gut would tell me that it is probably just a difference between gauges.

I did check my Kuhnhausen book and he says there were very slight differences in the shoulder angle between military and commercial gauges. However he says the difference is negligible and they can be used interchangeably. You can put some scotch tape on the back of the field gauge. Scotch tape in about .002 thou thick and see if it will close.

If you have a fired case that came out of the gun, you can use a RCBS Mic gauge or similar Stony Point tool and get an idea what kind of a chamber it has without doing a chamber cast.

B

I checked the headspace because the gun is new to me. It has not been fired recently. I think I was using too much pressure in moving the bolt. Using light pressue, I can feel the contact point with the no-go. With the field, the lug does not make contact with the receiver. I believe I was using an improper reference point by looking at the top of the bolt to determine "closed" instead of the lug/receiver contact. Crisis averted. I had a feeling it was me doing something wrong and not the rifle. As for components, it is all correct except for the op rod. Dec. 1943 manufacture, carried across France and into Germany, and then into his closet at home. It is the prize of my safe now. Thank you for the help.

by any chance do you have any take home papers ? Reason being I would like to know what any type of form would look like. I see firearms advertised as take homes with papers. Problem being I wouldnt even know what it looked like.

did you happen to find anything in the buttstock cleaning kit hole. My friend got his grandfathers M1 and found a good record of sight settings, different settings for weather and visability ect ect marked 1944. I thought that was cool. His grandfather was a great shot to boot. POST SOME PICS !

I don't have any papers, but there is a process from what I understand. This has been in his closet since I was a kid and he has told some good stories about the war. I wish I could get more specifics from him now, but really it doesn't matter. Papers are good to prove to a buyer the history of a rifle. This will not leave my family and the stories I was told will be passed along with it. Wish I had more info for you. Nothing in the stock but cleaning gear. I will get some pics up soon.

by any chance do you have any take home papers ? Reason being I would like to know what any type of form would look like. I see firearms advertised as take homes with papers. Problem being I wouldnt even know what it looked like.

did you happen to find anything in the buttstock cleaning kit hole. My friend got his grandfathers M1 and found a good record of sight settings, different settings for weather and visability ect ect marked 1944. I thought that was cool. His grandfather was a great shot to boot. POST SOME PICS !

Back
Top Bottom