• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide m1 garand

btnh6668

NES Member
So i have two cmp m1's. With the cost of 30-06 and me only having 1000 rounds left of surplus i don't shoot them much. I want to sell one to fund another gun but cant decide which one.

So one is a 7 digit Springfield with a 1944 barrel and original stock. The second is a 6 digit Springfield with a 1953 barrel and a newer cmp stock. Both barrels seem to have lots of life left in them. Which one would you guys keep?

If I had an M1, I'd be owning it for its WWII associations. So the '44 bbl and original stock would be a no-brainer to keep, all else being equal.
Same. I have two M1s as well and if I had to part with one, it'd be the newer barrel and CMP stock one that would be sold, while keeping my USGI furnitured 40s barrel service grade.

So i have two cmp m1's. With the cost of 30-06 and me only having 1000 rounds left of surplus i don't shoot them much. I want to sell one to fund another gun but cant decide which one.

So one is a 7 digit Springfield with a 1944 barrel and original stock. The second is a 6 digit Springfield with a 1953 barrel and a newer cmp stock. Both barrels seem to have lots of life left in them. Which one would you guys keep?
I would find other rifles you dont shoot and sell those to buy more ammo or reloading gear?

I would find other rifles you dont shoot and sell those to buy more ammo or reloading gear?
I have already done that. That M1 is the last rifle im willing to part with. Lets just say these past few months i have bought a round or two.

6-digits aren’t uncommon, 900,000 of them were made. Even 5-digits aren’t exactly rare. Keep whichever one speaks to you.

Any chance the 44 barrel is original to the 7-digit?

I regret every gun I sold. I had a June 1941 Garand for my first Garand. Grouped at about 4 feet at 100 yards. Terrible! I should have sourced a NOS age appropriate barrel rather than sell it.

Loading your own M2 Ball is simple and cost effective. I can guide you. (cost effective if you already have some sort of reloading set up).

6-digits aren’t uncommon, 900,000 of them were made. Even 5-digits aren’t exactly rare. Keep whichever one speaks to you.

Any chance the 44 barrel is original to the 7-digit?
I will have to look. Either way i decided the logical choice is to keep the ww2 era. Sometimes you have to say something out loud or in writting to realize how easy the choice really is.

Back
Top Bottom