• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022 Schedule M1 Garand CMP Clinic/Match Games OCSA , Pembroke MA

Will be shooting the K31 for vintage and haven't yet decided what M1 to bring. Planning on shooting the 0-66 (USMC rebuild) SA this afternoon. If it shoots OK that's what I'll shoot in the match. More or less just like CMP shipped it to me plus a little grease where it needs some.

Who is gonna be there
Im in so far , 1903a3 and some 125 gn wimp loads.
Garand might just be shot with HXP?
I'm out. Going on a Jeep trail ride w/ the Mrs. Final destination is Stone Cow Brewery.

Need to check my calendar but I'll probably go to Ames.

Good luck and kick some ass!

I need to go back to practicing with that M1A pellet rifle. Definitely helps offhand.
The A3 with 125 TNTs did as well as I could deliver. Hanson at 3 pm the sun is right in your face. Shot prone with sling and jacket, eh good enough ACAD8AB0-B204-489D-BFDC-0C26DEDE7AC6.jpeg

Grabbed a box of random 223 loads thats been floating around far to long and ran 10 rounds prone and 10 rounds off hand . From 52-77 grain bullets in this mix. Cant for the life of me think of why this upper was shooting so far left. Its my “NRA Service Rifle” upper which has been fed a constant diet of 77gn noslers over 24gn Varget.

16F29D5C-DC16-4E8C-A284-3BAEEE17F6BE.jpeg Off hand
B4C040E9-C666-49DA-84F9-0C4F0A54F3F9.jpeg

I'm planning on making the next one. Bringing the USMC rebuilt M1 again but this time with a better trigger job. It shot well in the July match: all 10's including 2X in sighters, 96-4X in slow prone, 98-5X in rapid, a bit below my usual in offhand 76 for a total 270-9X. Tore the crap out of the spotter disc. Top 3 scores were 270-9X, 270-5X, and 270-4X, so a pretty tight field. I think there were plenty scores in the mid to high 260's also, which is usually enough to score a bronze if not silver.

Dunno if I'll shoot the M14 or give it a rest and shoot the fugly AR-bomination. If it's hot, no way will I see the .223 holes in the black by the time I shoot my 2nd match, so that makes it easy to decide.

Last edited:
I'm planning on making the next one. Bringing the USMC rebuilt M1 again but this time with a better trigger job. It shot well in the July match: all 10's including 2X in sighters, 96-4X in slow prone, 98-5X in rapid, a bit below my usual in offhand 76 for a total 270-9X. Tore the crap out of the spotter disc. Top 3 scores were 270-9X, 270-5X, and 270-4X, so a pretty tight field. I think there were plenty scores in the mid to high 260's also, which is usually enough to score a bronze if not silver.

Dunno if I'll shoot the M14 or give it a rest and shoot the fugly AR-bomination. If it's hot, no way will I see the .223 holes in the black by the time I shoot my 2nd match, so that makes it easy to decide.
Might run M1a and AR
The Garand is just not a platform I can shoot well , I struggle to keep in that 260/300 area.
Showed last match- where a 267 although top score for the day Its not exactly a “gold” score.
I know local small matches might hand out trinkets for the top 3 scored its not a “great” score.

Might run M1a and AR
The Garand is just not a platform I can shoot well , I struggle to keep in that 260/300 area.
Showed last match- where a 267 although top score for the day Its not exactly a “gold” score.
I know local small matches might hand out trinkets for the top 3 scored its not a “great” score.
I once perused some local match scores from various states. OCSA scores tend to be among the highest.

I once perused some local match scores from various states. OCSA scores tend to be among the highest.
I agree we have a nice pocket of shooters for a small group.
I know many are definitely capable of some very good scores. There also has been some very good improvements on the newer shooters. I think there is no better way to improve fundamentals than going to these types of matches.

That said these are the score cuts for the “trinkets” Au Ag. Co/Sn
Unlimited Garand289280270
M1 Garand279272260
Springfield281272261
Vintage Military280270259
Modern Military287279270

Looking at the cmp games national Match Scores shooting into the 280s or better will need to be your average to have a chance

Here is the winning scores for CMP GAMES M1 GARAND over the past 20 years or so

I'll be there. "Fake O-66" M1 Garand and the Bula M14. Gonna be in low 80's, so I expect some mirage by the second match. Can't see .223 holes, thus the M14.

On the fence for the vintage sniper. Not gonna mess with my 300 yard zero before Vermont, so I'd have to shoot something else. I was thinking about 22lr but no way will I see the holes.

Think I'm going with the .308 Garand for the second match. Also thinking of making up some 125TNT 308 loads- won't have time to test them though.

The 30-06 rifles are all eating the 125TNTs now; at Perry I shot a 100-4x in slow prone with my 03-A3.

Think I'm going with the .308 Garand for the second match. Also thinking of making up some 125TNT 308 loads- won't have time to test them though.

The 30-06 rifles are all eating the 125TNTs now; at Perry I shot a 100-4x in slow prone with my 03-A3.
I'd shoot standard 168 loads for the Bula and M1. For the vintage sniper I cooked up some reduced 4895 loads with bulk 'Match Monster' 155's. Basically a 'ladder' of 34 grain to 40 grain to see if I can leave my 300 yd elevation alone and be zeroed at 200. Headed to the range now.

But wait...

Just saw that there is a Japanese bike show, Rice-O-Rama, nearby in Spencer MA. Once a year deal, so I may blow off OCSA tomorrow. @mac1911 , @Mesatchornug , @wegman - if you don't see me that's where I'll be.

Good to see everyone [thumbsup] .

Not my best, not my worst. Bronze with the M14 at 272-4 if I recall correctly. Don't remember the M1 score but was in 260's I think?

Only took 3 sighters with the M14. They were in a less than 1" group just below the X-ring, which was pretty cool. LOL first shot for score was a 9. [laugh]

Had good pit service for the M1 and surprisingly it was his first time pulling targets.

I thought dave had a 281 garand score ?
And Cris pulled a 281 with his AR
Anyway everyone seems to be shooting a bit above their averages last few weeks.

I thought dave had a 281 garand score ?
And Cris pulled a 281 with his AR
Anyway everyone seems to be shooting a bit above their averages last few weeks.
I don't think Dave's score was that high, but it was solid.

Technically I think Chris had a full blown service rifle, but it was iron sights so we let it slide. Somebody was shooting with a scope and had a very high score but of course scope is a DQ. All fun. Too hot and humid to attempt a vintage sniper match. Everybody was done by the last regular match.

I don't think Dave's score was that high, but it was solid.

Technically I think Chris had a full blown service rifle, but it was iron sights so we let it slide. Somebody was shooting with a scope and had a very high score but of course scope is a DQ. All fun. Too hot and humid to attempt a vintage sniper match. Everybody was done by the last regular match.
That I scored better offhand than slow prone (neither was good) says I need to actually work on my fundamentals a bit before next time. [rofl]
I think I changed too many variables for one day.

That I scored better offhand than slow prone (neither was good) says I need to actually work on my fundamentals a bit before next time. [rofl]
I think I changed too many variables for one day.
Did your ammo come in those enblocs? At the least, one should take the ammo out of them and tumble off any rough parkerizing. Even new ones from Aggressive Engineering could use some tumbling. The Ni plated ones a guy on CMP forum sells are GTG. Get a couple sleds too. They are ok as they come.

Did your ammo come in those enblocs? At the least, one should take the ammo out of them and tumble off any rough parkerizing. Even new ones from Aggressive Engineering could use some tumbling. The Ni plated ones a guy on CMP forum sells are GTG. Get a couple sleds too. They are ok as they come.
No. I bought a few of the en blocs online (Garand Gear, maybe?), and others came from a karma on here. I'm going to order a couple from that guy on CMP and SLED to help me get through the occasional visit to Pembroke. Maybe over the winter I'll look into options for caring for these clips. (Most of them are the un-stamped kind...itsapissachit)

Back
Top Bottom