Fun little Mosin Nagant project, headspace gauge

In preparation for the WSC shoot tomorrow, I decided I should check the headspace on my Mosin Nagant. I few months ago I picked up a mill/lathe off of craigslist and turned these on the lathe. I used a sheet of sandpaper on a surface plate for fine tuning. They are very flat according to my micrometer, less than 0.001" out. Thankfully my Mosin passed!

mosin%20nagant%20go%20no%20go.jpg

are these this design because the mosin 7.62x54r is a rimmed cartridge. As they do not look like say a 30-06 head space guage ?

are these this design because the mosin 7.62x54r is a rimmed cartridge. As they do not look like say a 30-06 head space guage ?

I think so, I just saw a picture of a gauge online and copied it based on some measurements that I found on online. The little notch is to clear the extractor for the rimmed cartridge. These gauges are too thick so the extractor does not clear them.

Chris

Very nice job. I assume you didn't harden them? Just be aware of nicks and burrs that can pop up (and screw up the HS). The commercial ones are hardened to keep that from being a problem, and avoid wear if you were using them every day in a factory or arsenal.

B

In preparation for the WSC shoot tomorrow, I decided I should check the headspace on my Mosin Nagant. I few months ago I picked up a mill/lathe off of craigslist and turned these on the lathe. I used a sheet of sandpaper on a surface plate for fine tuning. They are very flat according to my micrometer, less than 0.001" out. Thankfully my Mosin passed!

mosin%20nagant%20go%20no%20go.jpg

Nice job
Where did you get those #'s from? you should sell them. I would take 1 of each please [smile]

Back
Top Bottom