Headspace for recently acquired Mosins

MetalgodZ

NES Member
Looking to check the headspacing on several 91/30s and an M44. Anyone here who's got a headspace gauge set that would be willing to rent/lend it to me or check it for me?

The M44 has shot fine, but I'd like to double check it.
The three 91/30s are all "new" re-arsenaled hex receiver imports from RGuns and have only had the goop wiped off of them.

I'd just shoot them and not worry about it. Check a fired brass and note if it's looking a little wacky.

I've never heard of a problem with spacing on any of these...especially the rearsenalled ones. They should all be perfect or they wouldn't be released.

I think you'll be wasting you time.

I've only checked headspacing on rifles that I've built. Like pilgrim said, check the case for any stretched after firing one of the rifles. Although I'm not sure how a steel case would show stretching... I would think it would break if anything.

Maybe hold it away from your face before firing? [smile] I had a bunch of friends do this with some AKM rifles.

I do understand your worry, though. A 7.62x54r round would be one hell of a mistake to fire with an improperly spaced bolt. I wish I had a x54r gauge to lend you.

Last edited:
Pilgrim - We're talking stretching specifically in the rim area, correct? Would I see the stretching even with steel cases?

Flintoid - Yeah, it'd hurt. That looooong trigger pull and watching the bolt flexing down are a little disconcerting when shooting an unknown gun for the first time. [laugh]

Pilgrim - We're talking stretching specifically in the rim area, correct? Would I see the stretching even with steel cases?

I would think so as the 7.62x54 round is probably more than potent enough to affect even a steel case.

The action of the Mosin is so tough, I doubt that you would be in any danger as long as the bolt was closed.

I've got a few Mosins and I've never even considered checking them, since they were all re-arsenalled.

Would you feel you had to check the headspace on a Marlin 30-30 or other gun that you had sent back to them for rework?

Maybe I'm being simplistic or stupid, but I wouldn't be worried about them.

Maybe I'm being simplistic or stupid, but I wouldn't be worried about them.

I would say neither, especially if the bolt/carrier matches the rest of the rifle.

If it doesn't (like the bolt from another rifle is being used) then checking the headspace would make tons of sense.

I would say neither, especially if the bolt/carrier matches the rest of the rifle.

If it doesn't (like the bolt from another rifle is being used) then checking the headspace would make tons of sense.

What flintoid said.

A while back when Turk Mausers were cheap and everyone was ordering them, people often received rifles with bad headspace because the bolts were missmatched. Importers/distributors rarely check headspace and even when one says they do I don't believe them.

If you do plan on checking headspace a Field Gauge is all you really need unless you're swapping out barrels or building.

i have a no go gauge for the 7.62X54R but I think I am a little to far away for it to be pratical. I have yet to come across a Mosin Nagant with an improper headspace. Still if it does have excessive headspace it would not be fun. The Mosin bolt has no acomidations for blowback like the Mauser does with means you would catch a face full of powder. I got mine from Yankee Engineering. He sells on Gunbroker.com

Michael

Back
Top Bottom