Having your Glock refurbished

the_shootist

Banned
So I have this pretty nice (to me anyway) Glock 17. It's in good shape but it's been used a bit as evidenced by some light holster wear on the slide and finish wear on the barrel. I called Glock today and they will refurbish the internal parts and upgrade parts that require it for free. For an additional $60 they'll refinish the slide and barrel. Essentially a new gun for 60 bucks plus one way shipping.

Can anyone who's had this service done leave some feedback on your experience? Were you happy with the job? Was the turn around time satisfactory? All in all, was it worth the time and money?

Note: the frame has a small subtle crack in it and a few small scrapes. Have you any experience to comment on whether they do anything to address those types of blemishes as part of the refurbishment?

Thanks in advance guys.

I have a few refurbished from Glock. The turn around time was about 6 weeks. Most of the wait time is on the re-finishing....Glock subs it out to another company. For the price you can't go wrong...and I was very satisfied with the re-finishing. I would caution you about the crack in the frame...if it has to be replaced....you will have to wait for them to find a pre-98 model in order to get it back. They don't replace frames with new models to Mass. customers.... damn shame!

Hope it helps.

I have a few refurbished from Glock. The turn around time was about 6 weeks. Most of the wait time is on the re-finishing....Glock subs it out to another company. For the price you can't go wrong...and I was very satisfied with the re-finishing. I would caution you about the crack in the frame...if it has to be replaced....you will have to wait for them to find a pre-98 model in order to get it back. They don't replace frames with new models to Mass. customers.... damn shame!

Hope it helps.

Thanks, yes it does help. The crack is cosmetic in nature, in no way compromises the integrity of the weapon and is not an issue that would cause me to actually ask for a replacement. It's a quarter of an inch long running up from the bottom of the magazine opening in the grip

Thanks, yes it does help. The crack is cosmetic in nature, in no way compromises the integrity of the weapon and is not an issue that would cause me to actually ask for a replacement. It's a quarter of an inch long running up from the bottom of the magazine opening in the grip

I would call down and ask the Service department and see what they say...They might have to replace it if you send it to them. Better to be safe than have to wait for a replacement frame.

I would call down and ask the Service department and see what they say...They might have to replace it if you send it to them. Better to be safe than have to wait for a replacement frame.

I talked to them earlier today and the guy I spoke with really was non-committal about what could/should be done. If the frame needs replacement it's covered and if I have to wait a while for it then so be it. I can't kick when they have warranty service like that :)

They will definitely replace it. I had a G23 that I sent in and it took 4 weeks for them to get a 2nd gen frame, refinish it and sent to me. I didn't think it was bad with a couple of ships in the frame but it was one of the old style ones that they recalled. They gave me a choice of G17/G19 or G22/G23 in exchange. I didn't know about the night sites otherwise i would have sprang for them.

They will definitely replace it. I had a G23 that I sent in and it took 4 weeks for them to get a 2nd gen frame, refinish it and sent to me. I didn't think it was bad with a couple of ships in the frame but it was one of the old style ones that they recalled. They gave me a choice of G17/G19 or G22/G23 in exchange. I didn't know about the night sites otherwise i would have sprang for them.

You think the night sites are worth it?

You think the night sites are worth it?

If you intend to carry the pistol for defensive purposes, ask yourself if you might have to defend yourself during periods of low light or reduced visibility.

If the answer is yes, then night sights are well worth it.

IMHO, holster wear, scratches, and dings are the character marks of a hard working firearm and the hallmark of a proficient practitioner. You get holster wear from thousands of practice draws and live fire training; scratches from getting too close to that barricade while practicing to shoot from cover, and dings from racking the slide on your gear during one handed manipulations.

Unless you are a collector and the pistol is a safe queen, bear those marks with pride!

I think Glock charges $79.99 for Trijicon sights, not bad......they are usually around $99.00 in Most shops. It would be a nice upgrade.

If you intend to carry the pistol for defensive purposes, ask yourself if you might have to defend yourself during periods of low light or reduced visibility.

If the answer is yes, then night sights are well worth it.

IMHO, holster wear, scratches, and dings are the character marks of a hard working firearm and the hallmark of a proficient practitioner. You get holster wear from thousands of practice draws and live fire training; scratches from getting too close to that barricade while practicing to shoot from cover, and dings from racking the slide on your gear during one handed manipulations.

Unless you are a collector and the pistol is a safe queen, bear those marks with pride!

The pistol is definitely going to be a carry for me. Since I just purchased it, the marks, holster wear, etc. aren't mine....but I get your point. A simple refurb with night sites is probably the way to go and leave the battle scars as a badge of sorts ;)

Back
Top Bottom