Have you done an ammo audit?

4 calibers: 45 auto, 40 sw, 9mm & 22LR

1360 rounds total

1st place: 9mm FMJ (800)
last place: .45 JHP (9)

ETA: I mainly stick to 9mm and .22LR for plinking (obviously) since I don't re-load.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just kind of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling[smile]
Could not agree more.

I will actually embarrass myself here and say that I have an Excel document made up that tracks the inventory by caliber, brand and type (rim, center, shell). I used to keep it up to date after every range trip but then I got a bit more of a life.

Sadly the inventory tells me I haven't shot any rifle calibers (sans .22) in over 18 months. [shocked]

Could not agree more.

I will actually embarrass myself here and say that I have an Excel document made up that tracks the inventory by caliber, brand and type (rim, center, shell). I used to keep it up to date after every range trip but then I got a bit more of a life.

Sadly the inventory tells me I haven't shot any rifle calibers (sans .22) in over 18 months. [shocked]

No need to be embarrassed. After I did my audit last night, I set up an Excel spread sheet too.

Like you, I seem to accumulate more ammo these days than I expend.[grin]

5 - 00 12 Ga. Buck (dont own a gun with this caliber)
19 - .38 Special (dont own a gun with this caliber)
20 - 5.45x39 (dont own a gun with this caliber)
99 - 9mm (dont own a gun with this caliber)
320 - .40 SW
760 - 7.62x54R
906 - 5.56x45
1,978 - 7.62x39

Last edited:
I'm well under 1000 for 9mm now... that's a big deal because I use that all the time. I better buy another case. Need more .223s also.

9mm and .223 will be my primary zombie fighting ammo; it is important to be able to fire rapidly and frequently with minimal recoil, due to the high volume of zombies that one typically has to deal with at one time, so that's why those calibers are good for this purpose. (No way am I fighting them with 30 caliber anything!)

5 - 00 12 Ga. Buck (dont own a gun with this caliber)
19 - .38 Special (dont own a gun with this caliber)
20 - 5.45x39 (dont own a gun with this caliber)
99 - 9mm (dont own a gun with this caliber)
320 - .40 SW
760 - 7.62x54R
906 - 5.56x45
1,978 - 7.62x39

hand over the 9mm and we'll call it square [smile]

I do an audit every couple of months, but I include bullets and empty cases; always try to have more bullets than cases, roughly a 2 to 1 ratio with enough primers to load them and more.

I have 3k rounds or so of many calibers, some I don't even own guns for.

3K for me in 7.62x39 and .45 ACP. Then, there's the few bricks of .22 and a few hundred 12 ga. slugs and shot.

I need to pick up some 5.56 ammo for the NES lower, though. Wait. I think I need an upper, too. [smile]

~1800 .223
~250 9mm
~100 .45
~150 .40
~450 7.62x39
exactly 40 .300 Win mag (since its so damn expensive)
~40 12ga slug
~200 12ga shot (both bird and buck)

I need to pick up some more .40 and 300......

I'm actually on my local FD, and I asked the chief about a storage permit the other day out of curiosity. He knew nothing about it, and told me I was in charge of issuing them if anyone ever came to get one. I'm surprised he didn't know about it. In my town, its not "does he/she own a gun?" its- "how many guns does he/she own?".

I'm really surprised, I thought I was at the lower end of the spectrum... but seems like many here are under 3K centerfire.

Speaking of ammo prices (thread hijack in process [smile]) I was at FS today and couldn't
believe the prices on store bought ammo. I would have to give up the sport if I had to pay
those prices for ammo. Egadddzzzzz!

I know that I'm horribly low on just about everything now. The only thing I have a half-way decent stock of is 9mm. About 10 years ago I cleaned out the trunk of my car and discovered that the reason it handled so well during the winter was that I was carrying 37,000 rounds of .22 in my trunk. (It's a long story.)

Ken

I'm glad I went through and did an audit. I had way less than I thought. 4 of my boxes of 45 were not full, one only having 5 rounds in it. I also discovered I need to buy more guns as I have 9mm (320), 40 (160) and .223 (125) but no guns to shoot them out of.

2 Questions:

1.) What is the permit limit?

2.) How much is good to keep on hand for your SHTF rifle?

In MA the limits are set by the fire code - and they are online somewhere ( I believe there is a thread somewhere here on NES that deals with this in much more detail)

2.) How much is good to keep on hand for your SHTF rifle?

I would suggest you get a copy of Boston's Gun Bible - he deals with that question in detail. The short answer is: depends on what kind of SHTF situation you are talking about.

Bad storm - temporary loss of services = probably just enough to fill a couple of mags.

Obama presidency/liberal takeover/gun and ammo ban/zombies loose in the streets/end of civilization = A LOT.

im OCD when it comes to ammo, and have been stocking up on account of the prices changing all so often. i have found numorous 'loopholes' to save on ammo. sign up for a wally world credit card get $20 back. dicks is a similar deal. and sportsmansguide.com has a nice intro offer. also to note everytime i buy a new gun i ask for a deal on the ammo. but this is what my hard earned money has got me thus far...

9mm - 4331
.380 - 1158
7.62x39 - 1060
12ga - 261 (226 birdshot, 10 slugs, 20 buckshot, 5 mag buckshot)
7.62x54 - 2 (dont even own)
20ga - 1 (dont even own)
.22 - (im not counting the open brick)
and one dummy .50 cal

Last edited:
527 CMR 13.04 is where you need to read the limits.

Without a permit, the limits are:

10,000 rimfire (that's only 2 cases)
10,000 centerfire (that's one case for each of 10 calibers)
5,000 shotgun
1,000 unloaded primers (this is a problem as most people buy primers in 1000 packages and there are 4 different common ones)
16 lbs of smokeless powder (2 lbs if multi-family)
2 lbs Black Powder

With a permit, the limits go to:

30,000 rimfire
50,000 centerfire
50,000 shotgun
(not to exceed 100,000 total rounds)
10,000 primers (solves the reloader problem)
48 lbs of smokeless powder (as little as 2 lbs if multi-family)
5 lbs black powder

100,000 rounds is a LOT, but when I add a large club order on top of my own stash, I've been amazed at the round counts. Heck, my Grandfather was the rifle coach at Waltham High for many years and when I cleaned out his home after his death I pulled out some 40,000 rounds of .22 LR match grade ammo and had to give some away so I didn't have more than the 30,000 I'm allowed.

10,000 primers really isn't that much either. I shot about half of that in .357 last year alone. I also shoot a lot of .45

(2) Storage By Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, and Registration, and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure provided a permit has been obtained from the head of the local fire department;
(a) Small Arms Ammunition: Private Use. Small arms ammunition in amounts over that specified in 527 CMR 13.04(1), that do not exceed 100,000 total rounds at any one time, may be kept for private use provided none of the individual limitations listed below are exceeded.
1. 10,001 to 30,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of center fire ammunition not to include shotgun ammuni-tion.
3. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition not to include center fire ammunition.
(b) Small Arms Ammunition: Commercial Use. Not to exceed 200,000 rounds in any combination.
(c) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Private Use
Not to exceed 10,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(d) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(e) Smokeless Propellants: Private Use
1. Not to exceed 48 pounds Smokeless Propellants.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of smokeless propellants stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

However there is some restriction on max primers per residence. Went thru this with my FD a while ago. Here are the words:

"Although the code permits up to 10,000 primers for private use, no more than 5000 may be stored in a residence, which includes the dwelling unit and all accessory buildings (the shed). So only 5000 primers may be stored at your home, still preferably in the secured shed and not the dwelling unit. If you want to exceed the limits set forth in the regulation then you must apply for a license from the Town. This process is involved, to include advertising in the local newspapers, sending certified letters to all you abutters notifying them of your intent and going before the Board of Selectman. Other permits from federal agencies, such as ATF, may also be required"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom