Have you done an ammo audit?

So Monday was a really nice evening and I decided to count ammo in the garage while watching the Sox and having a very large martini.

I KNOW this is nothing to most of you, but after about an hour I determined that I am in possession of 6,895 rounds in 14 calibers. (Not including .22)

It just kind of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling[smile]

So Monday was a really nice evening and I decided to count ammo in the garage while watching the Sox and having a very large martini.

I KNOW this is nothing to most of you, but after about an hour I determined that I am in possession of 6,895 rounds in 14 calibers. (Not including .22)

The only thing I'm feeling is jealousy.

Sounds like you're running low.
If he is "running low" then I'm in real trouble. [crying]

I have ammo envy

I try to have 100 rounds for everything I own, the exception being .40 S&W because I consider my Glock the gun I'd use i case of civil unrest, I have extra mags and ammo for that one.

Yeah, last time I did an inventory, I went out the next day shooting and didn't count how much I shot...so much for an inventory!

My guess is, I have around 6k rounds in mainly 3 calibers, and another 6-8k in 22lr.

I'm also afraid I don't have any guns. I do know that back when I used to keep guns and ammo around (albeit locked up) I knew how much I had for each cal off the top of my head, though I only have 5 types. Always a minimum of 1000+5.56 and .200 9 and .40 each as well as a case of .40 target loads plus 5000. .22 rounds.

Anyone else worry more about going over the allowable amount of your permit? (^_^)

I haven't worried about that for a bunch of years.
Heck, how many people actually GET a storage permit?

Oh, and I have no idea or any desire to count it. How many .45ACP rounds fit in a plastic Margarita bucket anyhow?

Last edited:
I did a count a few months back. It's way off now as I have consumed quite a bit and bought some more, but I was comfortably under the limit not requiring a permit (and still am)

Last edited:

Ammo whore! I say this in the BEST way because I'm jealous.

[rockon]

You mean you folks actually count individual rounds? I just keep an eye on how many cubic feet of space I have used up. If the volume falls too low I get a lot more, if it looks about right I get more and if it takes up too much space I get another ammo cabinet to hold it in while I get more ammo or components. [smile]

-Nat

I have a vague idea of how much ammo I have. The thing is, even if I count it, I always end up at the same result anyways, so I stopped counting it... eg,... "you can never have enough ammo". Maybe I'll start counting it once I need a forklift and a warehouse/bunker to store/move it all.

-Mike

All Ive got is 20 boxes of my carry ammo and a half a bucket of brass I picked up from AFS the other day. The brass might be my first karma.......but not enough yet.

I was wondering about that storage permit. I'd feel strange being the only person in my town who has ever filed for one of these... maybe I'm paranoid but I don't want to stand out as that guy if the police look up the info next time I go renew my LTC.

Fortunately I don't quite have 10,000 rounds, and half of that is all 22's.

I was wondering about that storage permit. I'd feel strange being the only person in my town who has ever filed for one of these... maybe I'm paranoid but I don't want to stand out as that guy if the police look up the info next time I go renew my LTC.

These permits are issued by the Fire Chief, and the PD probably doesn't even know about who has them or not. The permits are mostly to let the local FD know there's ammo in the house, etc. Doubt most actually care, though. The only real reason to get a permit is to keep your insurance company from trying renege on a claim if your house burns down and then they say "you had a crapload of ammo and violated CMR on this so we're not going to pay" type of scenario. I don't think there are any criminal penalties attached to non-compliance, and that's generally a good thing because if you ran a survey, you would find most gun owners don't know or don't care about the MA CMR's on ammo storage limits.

Fortunately I don't quite have 10,000 rounds, and half of that is all 22's.

IIRC the "default" limits for single family dwellings are 10K centerfire, 10K rimfire, and 5K shotshells, and the funniest part- 1K of primers. I forget what the powder limit is... but the 1000 primers thing is just stupid- it basically means that anyone who reloads any real amount of ammo needs a permit.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom