Hatsan Carnivore Big Bore Air Rifles

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Interesting. Quackenbush makes an excellent big bore rifle too. This is one way that a prohibited person can get into hunting/shooting because you don't need a license for air guns.

$700 is cheap. Higher end air rifles are $2000-$3000. Check out Airguns of Arizona and brands like FX and Daystate. Big bore is all the rage. The FX Boss sends a .30 pellet at 900 fps.

Interesting. Quackenbush makes an excellent big bore rifle too. This is one way that a prohibited person can get into hunting/shooting because you don't need a license for air guns.

Yes he does. This is mine in .30 cal. I shoot a 110 grain lead bullet at 840 fps I get 3 shots before I need to pump it up again.
If you buy one of the big bore air rifles you will also need a way to pump it up. I bought a hand pump and then had to buy a fitting. It added another $250 to the price.

Oh and they are loud. If you shoot in your backyard you can bet your neighbors will think it's a real rifle and the cops will be coming by to say hi. It's as loud as a rifle without the sonic crack.

IMG_0848_zps158280be.jpg

Last edited:
$700 is cheap. Higher end air rifles are $2000-$3000.
I have one of their .22 caliber PCP repeaters.

Hatsan is inexpensive, and a little rough around the edges, but (once you get the hang of their action) reliable. Their big bore guns are relatively new, so I will wait and see how they fare.

Oh and they are loud. If you shoot in your backyard you can bet your neighbors will think it's a real rifle and the cops will be coming by to say hi. It's as loud as a rifle without the sonic crack.
Loud for sure, but not the loudest thing I've fired in my yard. [smile]

If you live where suppressors are legal, Hatsan makes several models with threaded barrels, though at least their small bore guns use the Euro standard so you need an adapter if you want to attach an American-style firearms suppressor. Hatsan also has models with integral suppressors; legal in nearly all US states (exception: Rhode Island).

I shot a friends big bore last night. I believe it was .457. not sure of brand. I can say that the ballistics on it are devastating. it's definitely loud. even kicks a tiny bit. I think it ran somewhere around $1500. he uses a scuba tank to fill it and get 2-3 shots per fill. still not quite the same as shooting a true firearm but definitely fun and would not hesitate to hunt with one

The FX line are actually pretty quiet. Many have full shrouds, which keeps the sound pretty low. There is a 1st circuit case arising out of MA where the court held that a suppressor under the NFA had to include the intent to use it on a firearm or have it be designed for use on a firearm. Since the suppressor that the defendant acquired was an air gun suppressor, the appeals court held that it was not intended or designed for use on a firearm and therefore the defendant did not violate the NFA.

"Michael Crooker was indicted, tried and convicted for transporting a firearm in interstate commerce as a convicted felon, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) (2006), and sentenced to 262 months' imprisonment.   The “firearm” was a device designed to muffle the sound of an airgun.   The decisive issue on this appeal is whether such a silencer could, on the facts of this case, qualify as a “firearm” within the meaning of the statutory definition.

The misinstruction in this case would justify a new trial, rather than acquittal, if the government had offered evidence that could allow the jury to find beyond a reasonable doubt that Crooker had a purpose to have the device function as firearm silencer.   But it had an incentive to develop such evidence-it would have been relevant evidence both of Crooker's knowledge and the device's capabilities (and the judge so instructed the jury)-and even on appeal the government does not claim that it could show illicit purpose.   Thus, Crooker is entitled to an acquittal.  United States v. Godin, 534 F.3d 51, 61 (1st Cir.2008);  see Burks v. United States, 437 U.S. 1 (1977)."

The case is U.S. v. Crooker (2nd Cir. 2010).

After this case, the air gun industry went full bore (excuse pun) in making and incorporating suppressors solely for use with air guns.

http://www.tedsholdover.com/video/ some cool stuff here. I like the big bores Edguns,evanix, air force to name a few. Although I decided until I can afford the rifle, high pressure compressor and a few tanks I'm not chasing that. I will stick to my bengiman discovery 22. It's pretty load for pellet gun.
The disco runs on pcp or co. It operates on 2000psi and is,easy to keep topped off in the ideal zone.
These other guns run on 3000+psi with some of them going high.
http://www.tedsholdover.com/video/reviews/edgun-matador-r3-long/ i like the looks of this

Last edited:
Air Force has been making "shrouded" PCP rifles for years (the "Talon SS"), they recently expanded into handguns and also sell a retrofit baffle kit to further quiet down the Talon SS.
attachment.php

The FX line are actually pretty quiet. Many have full shrouds, which keeps the sound pretty low. There is a 1st circuit case arising out of MA where the court held that a suppressor under the NFA had to include the intent to use it on a firearm or have it be designed for use on a firearm. Since the suppressor that the defendant acquired was an air gun suppressor, the appeals court held that it was not intended or designed for use on a firearm and therefore the defendant did not violate the NFA. The case is U.S. v. Crooker (2nd Cir. 2010). After this case, the air gun industry went full bore (excuse pun) in making and incorporating suppressors solely for use with air guns.
Rhode Island apparently went their own way, has a statewide ban that doesn't include this loophole?

U.S. v Crooker is narrowly written, even though the case is about a standalone suppressor shipped in the same package as an airgun, it is still really only "safe" to possess integral airgun suppressors, not separate slide-over or threaded suppressors (that is, without the NFA tax stamp). And of course Crooker only applies to Federal laws, not to state-specific suppressor bans like RI, MA, VT, etc.

Suppressing an airgun has different requirements than suppressing a powder burner, so while firearms suppressors will "work" on a PCP, effectiveness of, for example, a sparrow .22 rimfire suppressor is disappointing. The other concern with suppressing a big bore airgun is baffle strikes, unless you shoot tethered to an air source.

Last edited:
You can pick up a 4500 psi carbon fiber tank off the yellow forum for less than $500. Take it to your local dive shop for $15 fills. Unless you are shooting 24/7, no need to get a high pressure air compressor (they run about $500 and work off you existing low pressure air compressor). Using the hand pumps for PCP airguns absolutely blows.

The FX line are actually pretty quiet. Many have full shrouds, which keeps the sound pretty low. There is a 1st circuit case arising out of MA where the court held that a suppressor under the NFA had to include the intent to use it on a firearm or have it be designed for use on a firearm. Since the suppressor that the defendant acquired was an air gun suppressor, the appeals court held that it was not intended or designed for use on a firearm and therefore the defendant did not violate the NFA.

The case is U.S. v. Crooker (2nd Cir. 2010).

After this case, the air gun industry went full bore (excuse pun) in making and incorporating suppressors solely for use with air guns.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom