Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot November 14-15, 2009

This was the second shoot I'd IIT'd. It's great to see each shooter's progress throughout the weekend. Even more satisfying is seeing the the excitement that comes with that improvement. I had to call in sick Monday, but I'd do it all again (rain included).

Thanks for the replies, very good info that has me even more interested. I am definitely teachable and this sounds like it could be a good time on top of that. Hopefully my irregular work schedule and upcoming marriage don't prevent me from attending at least 1 next year. I'm still wondering about the scope vs iron sights thing, is it simply a matter of personal choice?

Appleseed tends to encourage irons, but either is completely fine. I'd choose based on your personal needs / preferences. My view is shoot irons unless you have vision issues that make it difficult / impossible.

Appleseed tends to encourage irons, but either is completely fine. I'd choose based on your personal needs / preferences. My view is shoot irons unless you have vision issues that make it difficult / impossible.

Big second on that. My feeling is you want to be good with irons for when your scope fogs up or breaks or you pick up a rifle that only has irons....

Now I'm not saying scopes are bad, but why use the crutch if you don't need it. If you do use a scope, it would probably benefit you to use a low power.

I also find people are impressed when you brinhg your new skills long distance with only irons [wink]

Thanks for the replies, very good info that has me even more interested. I am definitely teachable and this sounds like it could be a good time on top of that. Hopefully my irregular work schedule and upcoming marriage don't prevent me from attending at least 1 next year. I'm still wondering about the scope vs iron sights thing, is it simply a matter of personal choice?
Sarge,

Definitely leave your ego at the door - MANY military shooters have been humbled by the AQT. However... your upcoming marriage should not be a problem in the least - ladies shoot for free. (OK, I'm assuming that you're a guy, and marrying a lady... this being MA, it could go either way! [laugh])

As for iron sights and scopes... most folks start out using peep sights. Many of us, myself included, then find out that our eyes simply are NOT up to the task of seeing the small targets! And that's when the scopes come out.

While we like to teach the use of sights, we will work with whatever rifle you bring with you. If you have the intestinal fortitude to shoot a Mosin all weekend long, then that's what we'll teach you on.

Back
Top Bottom