Hanover Animal Control officer/Improper storage charges

appraiser

NES Member
Forgive me if this is a repost, I have not been around for a few months

http://www.959watd.com/news.php?Hanover-Animal-control-officer-due-in-court-on-weapons-charges-3115

Hanover's animal control officer, who found himself on the wrong side of the law, is due in court on Monday

Brian Golemme will appear in Hingham District Court for a pre-trial hearing on weapons charges.

Police say he improperly stored his gun collection at the Hanover home of his girlfriend, who has a young child.

This all began Christmas Day, when officers were called to the home on Franks Ln. for a noise complaint. Inside they found three rifles, three handguns and a shotgun leaning against a wall, unsecured. Golemme was not arrested, but his license to carry weapons was suspended, and he turned the guns over to police.

Golemme says he removed the trigger locks on the firearms when he moved in with his girlfriend earlier in December.

He could face a fine of up to $10,000.

Police say he improperly stored his gun collection at the Hanover home of his girlfriend, who has a young child.

Golemme says he removed the trigger locks on the firearms when he moved in with his girlfriend earlier in December.

File under TSTL............[rolleyes]

Everyone knows the first thing you do when you know there's gonna be kids around is take off the trigger locks, it's a b!tch for the little guys to get those off!

If the kids were of the right age and properly eductated, while illegal in Mass., there's nothing unsafe about unsecured guns.

If the kids were of the right age and properly eductated, while illegal in Mass., there's nothing unsafe about unsecured guns.

Ditto. Grew up in a house with no trigger locks and we knew how to get our hands on a loaded gun by the age of 10. Yet we NEVER touched a gun without direct supervision until we were adults.

Caveat for whomever the AG has reading this thread - this was long ago and far away where such things were (and are still) legal.

Most PD's will at least take of their own when it comes to this one. They threw this guy to the wolves.

He still should have known better. PSGWSP.

Yes, he should have known better!

PDs do take care of "THEIR OWN" . . . but they don't consider anyone who isn't a FT PO in a Muni Dept or MSP Trooper as one of "their own". I always knew as a Reserve PO and now as a Constable, that many (but not all) POs would throw me under the bus at first opportunity. Animal Control Officers aren't treated as one of the PD . . . unless a PO needs him/her to corral an attacking animal.

I realize the month is still young, but this may be the most ill-considered post for March, 2010.

Why were they in his house, the cops, I mean?

No doubt they were "searching for noise"! [thinking] [rolleyes]

I realize the month is still young, but this may be the most ill-considered post for March, 2010.

Scriv, I understand what GSG (and Nicole) were both saying. Child-proofing the guns is never as good an idea (for safety reasons, not addressing legal issues) as gun-proofing the children. In the old days going back to the time the "New World" and the "Wild West" were being settled, children were taught to handle firearms responsibly from a very early age. They had not yet discovered gun/trigger locks, locked gun cabinets, etc. and (although I have no scientific data) I seriously doubt that incidents of kids killing each other or killing adults were a real problem back then. The big difference was everyone was taught "personal responsibility" back then, they didn't rely on the gov't to create solutions to keep people safe from harm.

Maybe Heller/McDonald will overturn this one.

Really? On what possible basis?

Given that absolutely NOTHING in MA law prohibits having a functional firearm available to a duly licensed individual who has it under his/her direct control.

As has been noted here many, MANY times.

Given that absolutely NOTHING in MA law prohibits having a functional firearm available to a duly licensed individual who has it under his/her direct control.

As has been noted here many, MANY times.
There is a problem with the whole idea of "under his control" that needs to be addressed (and the current law runs counter to your statement above).

One the big problems with MA storage laws is that it either has to be on you or it has to be locked up. This is not conducive to having the gun readily available at all times. For instance, as frequently discussed, can any gun really be "under your direct control" while you are asleep?

One of the issues Heller arguments specifically discussed was the idea of recognizing a threat, getting to the gun and using it. More specifically, how having to be locked up and/or disassembled impeded your ability to do this.

Moreover, in my estimation the "best" gun I own for HD is not one that I would or could "carry on my person"... So, it is locked up and I am relegated to a less effective tool for the job as a function of our storage laws.

Back to baby killing monsters...

Your knee-jerk initial reaction (i.e. "TSTL") to "removed the locks when he moved the guns to the apartment with a young child" is something that you can only put into context if you have lived in a free state...

There are many households around the country in which firearms are present without locks (with young children) and no one is ever injured or even at risk of being injured. It is only our constant wading in this legislative cesspool that makes that seem so unfathomable.

Guns are no different than power tools (in fact, I have some tools which are easier to produce accidental injury/death of an unsupervised child). They require common sense and parenting skills to ensure the safety of the child - not thick books full of silly laws.

There is a problem with the whole idea of "under his control" that needs to be addressed (and the current law runs counter to your statement above).

Really? Please cite it.

Your knee-jerk initial reaction (i.e. "TSTL") to "removed the locks when he moved the guns to the apartment with a young child" is something that you can only put into context if you have lived in a free state...

There are many households around the country in which firearms are present without locks (with young children) and no one is ever injured or even at risk of being injured. It is only our constant wading in this legislative cesspool that makes that seem so unfathomable.

Having been raised in such a household, it is in no way "unfathomable" to me.

What is "unfathomable" is someone who has only moved in with a woman with kids leaving a number of guns, including handguns, available to those kids, whom he has little real knowledge of or relationship with. "Stupid" is a better word, as is "ill-considered," if not "irresponsible."

Add to that his need for a gun for employment purposes, and "TSTL" is hardly an unjust conclusion.

Guns are no different than power tools (in fact, I have some tools which are easier to produce accidental injury/death of an unsupervised child). They require common sense and parenting skills to ensure the safety of the child - not thick books full of silly laws.[/QUOTE]

Really? Please cite it.
Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

In short, if I home, I cannot have a loaded shotgun that is not slung over my shoulder...

It is my understanding that I cannot sleep with a shotgun under my bed, nor a pistol in or on the nightstand.

Which part of this are you disputing? Would you counsel a client otherwise?

Last edited:

http://www.959watd.com/news.php?Hanover-Animal-control-officer-due-in-court-on-weapons-charges-3115

Hanover's animal control officer, who found himself on the wrong side of the law, is due in court on Monday

Brian Golemme will appear in Hingham District Court for a pre-trial hearing on weapons charges.

This all began Christmas Day, when officers were called to the home on Franks Ln. for a noise complaint. Inside they found three rifles, three handguns and a shotgun leaning against a wall, unsecured. Golemme was not arrested, but his license to carry weapons was suspended, and he turned the guns over to police.

If he lived 50 mile north or south (southwest), he wouldn't be facing any charges. Wonderful.

If he lived 50 mile north or south (southwest), he wouldn't be facing any charges. Wonderful.
Yes, unlike Scrivner, I'd need to hear a LOT more about the circumstances beyond the simple lack of locks to get all excited...

Doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid thing to do in the context of MA laws...

PDs do take care of "THEIR OWN" . . . but they don't consider anyone who isn't a FT PO in a Muni Dept or MSP Trooper as one of "their own".

There's also plenty of inter-service rivalries between different types of LEOs...I know of a case in Mass. where when a cop was brought up on completely bogus felony charges a Sgt. told him "You're not a cop in this town."

Why were they in his house, the cops, I mean?

He probably let them in, and they looked around.

And why is that?

Child-proofing the guns is never as good an idea (for safety reasons, not addressing legal issues) as gun-proofing the children.

Exactly. I remember being a child and playing with friends who said "Want to play with my dad's gun?" I never did, I never had to, it wasn't taboo for me because of how I was raised.

Oh, gee, I dunno, maybe perhaps the Massachusetts State Trooper who used Heller in defense of doing this very thing?

Very true.

What is "unfathomable" is someone who has only moved in with a woman with kids leaving a number of guns, including handguns, available to those kids, whom he has little real knowledge of or relationship with. "Stupid" is a better word, as is "ill-considered," if not "irresponsible."

Sounds like you're reading into his relationship and their level of firearms education pretty far there bud.

Add to that his need for a gun for employment purposes, and "TSTL" is hardly an unjust conclusion.

Really? I've never once seen an animal control officer in Mass. with a gun, or even OC for that matter.

Doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid thing to do in the context of MA laws...

Agreed, but that's assuming he knew them. Signs with storage laws are posted at Mass. gun stores, sure, but that doesn't mean that they're the only sign on the wall, or that the meaning of "direct control" is neatly explained to every firearms licensee in Mass.

Is the guy that conducts Hunter Safety Classes?

I absolutely agree. A child's judgement should never be trusted with an unsecured gun no matter how intelligent or well educated he or she may be. Leaving any gun "leaning against a wall...unsecured" with kids in the house is an invitation for disaster and is just plain stupid. People like that make things harder for responsible gun owners.

TSTL

Is the guy that conducts Hunter Safety Classes?

That would be an interesting twist, and would almost definitely takehim out of the "Well I had no way of knowing that law" crowd.

A child's judgement should never be trusted with an unsecured gun no matter how intelligent or well educated he or she may be. Leaving any gun "leaning against a wall...unsecured" with kids in the house is an invitation for disaster and is just plain stupid.

Is it safe to trust a child with access to electrical outlets? What about a videogame system and a cup of milk at the same time?

Do you know that deaths in fires is the third leading cause of accidental death in children in the USA? Do you have any unsecured stoves, matches, candles, heaters or flammable materials in your home?

Do you know that drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death in children in the USA? Do you have any unsecured bathtubs, rivers, lakes, pools, toilets or faucets in or around your house?

Do you know that the #1 cause of accidental death in children in the USA is car accidents? Do you walk your kids to school because of this?

You're dreaming if you think that locking things away from kids will prevent them from having contact with them, or from seeking them out to "play" with them.

LenS said it best...gun proof your kids, don't try to kid proof your guns.

I wonder if it's a young child as the Brady Campaign defines them for statistics (under the age of 23) or a toddler.

Is it safe to trust a child with access to electrical outlets? What about a videogame system and a cup of milk at the same time?

Do you know that deaths in fires is the third leading cause of accidental death in children in the USA? Do you have any unsecured stoves, matches, candles, heaters or flammable materials in your home?

Do you know that drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death in children in the USA? Do you have any unsecured bathtubs, rivers, lakes, pools, toilets or faucets in or around your house?

Do you know that the #1 cause of accidental death in children in the USA is car accidents? Do you walk your kids to school because of this?

You're dreaming if you think that locking things away from kids will prevent them from having contact with them, or from seeking them out to "play" with them.

Well put!! Guns are not magical objects with some special hypnotic hold over people. They are merely one more thing that has the potential to harm people, just like your kitchen knives, your pool, your car, your cabinet of cleaning products, your prescription meds, etc. Keep as much as possible out of the reach of toddlers, but after that you HAVE to train the kids to do right - they live with you...they have the time and ability to access darn near anything if they want it badly enough.

That would be an interesting twist, and would almost definitely takehim out of the "Well I had no way of knowing that law" crowd.

I wonder if it's a young child as the Brady Campaign defines them for statistics (under the age of 23) or a toddler.

You are on the money. I grew up in a police household. My father and grandfather were both Boston cops. My father kept his revolver in his holster with the gunbelt draped over a seat in the bedroom. My grandfather removed his gun from the holster and stuck it in the top drawer of his bureau. I knew where they were from a tender age. I also knew that if I went near them, I'd get a right cross followed by a left hook. Furthermore, the revolvers were not taboo. We discussed them. They would occasionally unload them and show them to me. Everything was explained, including the need for safety. When I got a little older, my father even brought me to the BPD range on Moon Island and, with the permission of the range officers, I got to shoot and clean his service revolver.

I absolutely agree. A child's judgement should never be trusted with an unsecured gun no matter how intelligent or well educated he or she may be. Leaving any gun "leaning against a wall...unsecured" with kids in the house is an invitation for disaster and is just plain stupid. People like that make things harder for responsible gun owners.

When I was 10 years old, my pappy gave me a nice .22 marlin, and it hung on my wall from then until I went away to college. I saddens me that today's youth is:
1) held is such poor regard
2) no longer educated in common sense safety, and need to be "protected" from themselves.

When I was 10 years old, my pappy gave me a nice .22 marlin, and it hung on my wall from then until I went away to college. I saddens me that today's youth is:
1) held is such poor regard
2) no longer educated in common sense safety, and need to be "protected" from themselves.
Heck, the adults can't be trusted from what I am told... [sad2]

Liberal lunatics want to abdicate all parental responsibility so they can keep behaving like kids even after they breed. Both of things "take a village" as they say to raise their kids for them and protect them from all that their parents normally would...

Liberal lunatics want to abdicate all parental responsibility so they can keep behaving like kids even after they breed. Both of things "take a village" as they say to raise their kids for them and protect them from all that their parents normally would...

Unfortunately, not just "liberal lunatics." Check out TimMcG74's response above.

Unfortunately, not just "liberal lunatics." Check out TimMcG74's response above.

You're missing the point.

Sure, I plan to educate my son on how to handle a gun safely, but that doesn't mean that I am not going take measures to prevent him from making a deadly mistake before he has reached the age of reason. I am not talking about locking my guns away in hopes that he doesn't discover them. I am talking about securing my guns in a reasonable way so that he doesn't accidently hurt himself or someone else. Kids make mistakes, period.

Is there a lot of unfair propaganda about guns and gun owners? Absolutely. But it is ridiculous to say that a child is as much or more likely to drown in the toilet than to shoot himself with a loaded gun left lying around. That mindset only provides the opposition with talking points.

Let's be sure to recognize that there is a lot of middle ground between Massachusetts storage laws and leaning a gun against the wall in an area where children play, which is the point that started this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom