Hang your deer or not?

One of the reasons I have over 20 pieces of private land to hunt on is that I promise not to leave gut piles on the property.

The other reason I have lots of private posted land to hunt on is because other hunters have left gut piles on the property.

Other spots, no problem, gut them where they fall, but i wouldn't call myself brainwashed by any means.

Considerate? Yes.

Wanting to hunt in a particular spot where I see up 10 -15 deer a day , again, next year ? Yes.
Ill do whatever it takes, even if it means gutting the animal somewhere else or throwing a pitch fork and a few heavy duty trash bags in the truck for the season.

That is different. You are obeying specific restrictions the land owner has placed on you in order to have the priveledge of hunting his land. If he does not want gut piles on his property then golly gee we dont leave gut piles on his property.

Would you do the same in a state forest as Harrihiker has suggested one should do?

All depends on the situation.
Here on Nantucket, one of the anti's biggest bitches is Fido getting into a gut pile .
If Im near a place where Buffy Whalepants is going to be walking her kick dog, Ill drag the thing off the trail and into the woods and gut it or gut it somewhere else.

The location determines what happens.
If I was hunting the state forest here, Yes, I would gut it where it dies unless I didnt want to "pollute" the area if I intend to hunt it some more.
Gut bags last a long time here. No Yotes, no fox,coons or anything like that. Just wild cats and rats,crows and seagulls.

That brings me to another question.
Who here thinks a gut bag scares other deer out of the area?
The more I hunt, the less I think it has any real effect on deer movement.

Here on Nantucket, one of the anti's biggest bitches is Fido getting into a gut pile .
If Im near a place where Buffy Whalepants is going to be walking her kick dog, Ill drag the thing off the trail and into the woods and gut it or gut it somewhere else.

If I was hunting the state forest here, Yes, I would gut it where it dies unless I didnt want to "pollute" the area if I intend to hunt it some more.
Gut bags last a long time here. No Yotes, no fox,coons or anything like that. Just wild cats and rats,crows and seagulls.

Makes sense. Out here they seldom last more then a couple days between the Yotes and the buzzards. In fact when I want to not contaminate a good area I bring my deer into the woods in back of my house to gut them. The buzzards find the pile in a matter of hours. Really kind of amazing.

3 years ago I shot a 6 point sniffing the gut pile of a doe I shot the day before in NY. TIFWIW

Apparently you have been brainwashed by the sheep. [rolleyes]

So acting like a considerate sportsman makes me brainwashed?
Apparently you are part of the problem.[rolleyes]
If you haven't noticed, the sheep out number us.

I agree, that nature will take care of it's own, but I am referring to public land. Public land that I have the right to hunt (for now), just as the sheep have the right to do whatever they want on it.
However, creating a situation where some loud mouthed anti could step on a pile of rotting offal will only result in taking MY rights away.

We do not live in an area that is favorable to hunters.
I do not see how acting responsibly to preserve the image hunters means I am brainwashed.

So acting like a considerate sportsman makes me brainwashed?
Apparently you are part of the problem.[rolleyes]
If you haven't noticed, the sheep out number us.

I agree, that nature will take care of it's own, but I am referring to public land. Public land that I have the right to hunt (for now), just as the sheep have the right to do whatever they want on it.
However, creating a situation where some loud mouthed anti could step on a pile of rotting offal will only result in taking MY rights away.

We do not live in an area that is favorable to hunters.
I do not see how acting responsibly to preserve the image hunters means I am brainwashed.

[rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

You must be a Mass transplant in NH.... [rofl]

Here in Mass public lands are bought and paid using funds collected by a land stamp attached to sales of hunting licenses. F the anti's. We are paying for the lands they hike in.

If you didn't notice I said not to gut them on the walking trails and to drag them away. But no Fing way am I dragging a deer a mile with guts inside if I do not have to in order to appease some ignorant nincompoop walking around in the forest during hunting season with his kids all dressed in brown leather with a hankie hanging out of his back pocket.

I just brought it home, hung it in the garage long enough for my kids to get the entire
neighborhood kids over to look at it and go home and tell their Mothers that there is a
Bambi killer loose in the neighborhood. I shot it in VT in Nov and cut it up a few days
later, more due to available time than trying to age it. Cut up your own deer, it's a blast!

Last edited:
I have twice shot deer from a tree stand, as they walked within inches of a gut pile from the day before.

Bringing the guts home is just crazy to me. Full bodied animals die in the woods all the time, how often have you stumbled across one? Just like a gut pile they are gone quick.

If I had to clean up guts of the forest floor I don't think I'd hunt. This whole discussion shocks me.

Bringing the guts home is just crazy to me. Full bodied animals die in the woods all the time, how often have you stumbled across one? Just like a gut pile they are gone quick.

If I had to clean up guts of the forest floor I don't think I'd hunt. This whole discussion shocks me.

shouldn't shock you, it was discussed in hunters ed (film) only they suggested burying it.

here is my reasoning on removing it, although i'm not saying i would remove it: i'm on public lands where other hunters shoot and where i would also be shooting again, i don't want to leave my mess for others to see and smell if nothing got to it the night i left it. i also would not want to forget where it is and then step in it in the dark.

my personal order of doing it would be:
burying
putting it in some bushes
and taking it away as a last resort - which i don't see happening.

Last edited:

+1

shouldn't shock you, it was discussed in hunters ed (film) only they suggested burying it.

here is my reasoning on removing it, although i'm not saying i would remove it: i'm on public lands where other hunters shoot and where i would also be shooting again, i don't want to leave my mess for others to see and smell if nothing got to it the night i left it. i also would not want to forget where it is and then step in it in the dark.

my personal order of doing it would be:
burying
putting it in some bushes
and taking it away as a last resort - which i don't see happening.

IMO It is a complete waste to throw the guts in the trash or bury it. Nature will take care of it within a few days, throwing under a bush or thick brush isn't a bad idea, If you want to avoid stepping on it.

I have to say I second this. If you are on a well traveled trail, just dump them a few yards off the trail and they will be out of sight for any passersby.

Back
Top Bottom