Hang your deer or not?

Who hangs their deer to age them?

I don't. Mine go from checking to processing as soon as possible. I prefer the meat not aged, as you cannot control the temperature outside. I think it tastes better that way.

What do you think?

I hang mine. In warm weather I skin them right away and puy them in the coolest spot I can find and may possibly put ice inside the cavity. If it is exeptionally warm I wont hang them long (more than a night) but during cold weather I have hung them for over a week

Weather permitting I'll hang my deer for a week or more. If I do I pull the tenderloins out because they dry out. An aged deer is so much better on the table it is really worth doing it. Warm weather I'll butcher it when its still "wet". The meat won't cook in a pan nearly as well so I mostly grill or stew it. When cooking it in a pan don't crowd it too much or the meat will steam more than sear.

Hang it long enough for the blood to drip out. Did that with one last year but it was late and got cold and it froze over night. Was a bit of a pain to skin when they get that cold but still better then when its warm out. We butchered it inside and dried the meat before wrapping and it was great.

being new at this it is something new to me. last year for my first hunt and first deer we did hang it but it was Nov. in Maine. I thought we had done it because it was late afternoon by the time we skinned it and the next day we did not have the time to take it to the butcher.

what are the pros and cons for hanging and given the weather how long should it hang I.E. how long when its warm, like now, how long when its cold, like Dec.? oh and should you skin it before or after it has hung or let the butcher take care of it? thanks

You've hit the wildcard, hobbit.

Aging is decomposition or rotting, albeit controlled rotting. If done right, it enhances the flavor of the meat. Just like steak.

If done incorrectly, it can negatively affect the meat, making it taste "gamey."

I should add that other factors can cause gaminess, such as contamination due to dirt or feces from improper cleaning.

Unless you're hanging it in a meat freezer, you can't tell what temperature it will sit at. And as such, it's tough to get consistency year over year.

Hanging overnight is usually fine. As some have mentioned, just clean the body cavity as best as possible. It's a good idea to spread the ribs to maximize cooling and cover with a tarp if the weather merits it.

I think most butchers these days take them skin on - they sell the skins to leather processors.

Last edited:
You've hit the wildcard, hobbit.

Aging is decomposition or rotting, albeit controlled rotting. If done right, it enhances the flavor of the meat. Just like steak.

If done incorrectly, it can negatively affect the meat, making it taste "gamey."

I should add that other factors can cause gaminess, such as contamination due to dirt or feces from improper cleaning.

Unless you're hanging it in a meat freezer, you can't tell what temperature it will sit at. And as such, it's tough to get consistency year over year.

Hanging overnight is usually fine. As some have mentioned, just clean the body cavity as best as possible. It's a good idea to spread the ribs to maximize cooling and cover with a tarp if the weather merits it.

I think most butchers these days take them skin on - they sell the skins to leather processors.

thanks for the info. i knew about the cooling and spreading, even ice (or i would use ice packs to avoid water melting in the cavity) to help cooling in warm/hot weather. i have also been told that the fat can add the gamey taste so get rid of as much as possible.

If it is cold enough I hang mine for a week or so. I work 2nd shift so that makes it difficult to process during the week so if I can hang it till the weekend all the better.

being new at this it is something new to me. last year for my first hunt and first deer we did hang it but it was Nov. in Maine. I thought we had done it because it was late afternoon by the time we skinned it and the next day we did not have the time to take it to the butcher.

what are the pros and cons for hanging and given the weather how long should it hang I.E. how long when its warm, like now, how long when its cold, like Dec.? oh and should you skin it before or after it has hung or let the butcher take care of it? thanks

As long as it is below 50 degrees you can hang it. Ideally it should be highs in the low 40s. Leave the skin on. You want the animal to cool gradually. If it cools too fast you can get what is called "cold shortening" The muscle fibers constrict making the meat tough. You want the fibers relaxed and cooling slowly does this.

Also if you bring it to a butcher most want it with the skin on as it helps keep the carcass clean untill he can get to it.

This leads me to another question, which is who keeps the hide? With fleas and ticks and all, even though they mostly jump off when the animal dies, I am iffy on doing this. Also, how do you tan them? I've heard of using the brains for tanning. Which reminds me of when I was a kid, and my father's Italian friend would come over for the brains, tongue, kidneys, liver, heart, pancreas, spleen, etcetera. I think his other friend would use the intestine for sausage. Sorry for the semi-hijack.

I tried a little experiment a few years ago. I had a particularly good year, and as some of you know, I'm a Pro-Staff for a company that sells hunting products. So I had an opportunity to hunt several different states as we were demo-ing a new product. I bagged 7 deer that year, and I tried different methods of hanging, cooling, and skinning. What I found was:
1) Cooling the deer immediately after dressing is the single most important factor. I found that filling the chest cavity with snow, or rinsing in a very clean brook had a HUGE impact of the taste of the venison.
2) Hanging them for anything more than a few hours (especially if it's not very cold outside) did not enhance flavor in a positive way.
3) Skining is much easier when warm. Cutting is better done after chilling the skinned carcass.

I will generally field dress my deer immediately. Then fill the cavity with snow, or submerge in a VERY clean brook before dragging the deer out of the woods. I will hang it for a couple hours, then skin, and then if it's cold enough outside, I will let it hang overnight to stiffen up before cutting and packaging meat.

I also have a friend, Chef Myron, who has created, in my opinion, the best venison marinade on earth. I find that Myron's 20 guage sauce will make even the toughest old buck taste awesome. His stuff is sold commercially at major stores, such as Stop & Shop. You can also order online at www.chefmyrons.com/20gauge.html. One other major factor that I have found that will greatly enhance the flavor of venison. You absolutely MUST remove all the fat, gristle, and tendons from the meat before cooking. Most of the gamey flavor is in the fat.

Last edited:
This leads me to another question, which is who keeps the hide? With fleas and ticks and all, even though they mostly jump off when the animal dies, I am iffy on doing this. Also, how do you tan them? I've heard of using the brains for tanning. Which reminds me of when I was a kid, and my father's Italian friend would come over for the brains, tongue, kidneys, liver, heart, pancreas, spleen, etcetera. I think his other friend would use the intestine for sausage. Sorry for the semi-hijack.

If you want your hide tell the processor and he will save it for you. It is yours and he has to give it to you if you want it. If you want it tanned you can send it to a tannery yourself or have a taxi do that for you. Or you can google self tanning if you want but I have heard it is a real lot of work.

can't really do that because i have 3 tags and will be using the same area as soon as the next day, heck depending on time of first kill maybe even the same day. try to get them before they all go into hiding, so to speak

I know Hobbits are supposed to be optimistic, but WOW!

can't really do that because i have 3 tags and will be using the same area as soon as the next day, heck depending on time of first kill maybe even the same day. try to get them before they all go into hiding, so to speak

Then take it to a different piece of woods and gut it there.

I know Hobbits are supposed to be optimistic, but WOW!

lol i have seen a bunch of deer in the last few weeks. still, i'll be lucky to get one since i am bringing a new hunter who is a big smoker. already told him no smoking and i am going to spray the hell out of him...lol even got him a cough suppresser.

better to look for the jackpot then the plain ol pot [grin]

i thought about bagging it and dumping it in the trash at home

Personally I think that would be the most responsible thing to do, depending on where you hunt.

If you're on private land do whatever you want, but anyone that hunts on public land, please don't give the anti's any reason to go after our sport any more than they already do.

I have seen gut piles directly next to the or on the trails of conservation land around here. That is the kind of lazy irresponsible BS that gets hunting banned from publicly owned land.[angry]

All it takes is one soccermom that is friendly with the selectmen to tell the story of walking her tots through the woods and stumbling a pile of gore.[crying]

Personally I think that would be the most responsible thing to do, depending on where you hunt.

If you're on private land do whatever you want, but anyone that hunts on public land, please don't give the anti's any reason to go after our sport any more than they already do.

I have seen gut piles directly next to the or on the trails of conservation land around here. That is the kind of lazy irresponsible BS that gets hunting banned from publicly owned land.[angry]

All it takes is one soccermom that is friendly with the selectmen to tell the story of walking her tots through the woods and stumbling a pile of gore.[crying]

Apparently you have been brainwashed by the sheep. [rolleyes]

Nothing goes to waste in nature. What you describe as a pile of gore many animals see as a fantastic meal. If Barbie and Ken are going to go walking in the woods during hunting season they need not be ignorant of what they may find.

Do you need to leave it next to a trail? No. But do you have to refrain from gutting your animal on public land. Hell no!! If you animal happens to expire near a walking trail drag it away from the trail and gut it in the woods. No harm no foul.

If Barbie and Ken still find the gut pile and get offended F them!!!

Apparently you have been brainwashed by the sheep. [rolleyes]

+1 Arlow.

I agree with you, but it's tough to teach sheep! I'm trying to be discreet even on private land. The idea of bagging it doesn't thrill me, and burying it won't work. I'm gonna drive mine about a mile away where I have a decent spot.

Conformist? Maybe.

One of the reasons I have over 20 pieces of private land to hunt on is that I promise not to leave gut piles on the property.

The other reason I have lots of private posted land to hunt on is because other hunters have left gut piles on the property.

Other spots, no problem, gut them where they fall, but i wouldn't call myself brainwashed by any means.

Considerate? Yes.

Wanting to hunt in a particular spot where I see up 10 -15 deer a day , again, next year ? Yes.
Ill do whatever it takes, even if it means gutting the animal somewhere else or throwing a pitch fork and a few heavy duty trash bags in the truck for the season.

One of the reasons I have over 20 pieces of private land to hunt on is that I promise not to leave gut piles on the property.

The other reason I have lots of private posted land to hunt on is because other hunters have left gut piles on the property.

Other spots, no problem, gut them where they fall, but i wouldn't call myself brainwashed by any means.

Considerate? Yes.

Wanting to hunt in a particular spot where I see up 10 -15 deer a day , again, next year ? Yes.
Ill do whatever it takes, even if it means gutting the animal somewhere else or throwing a pitch fork and a few heavy duty trash bags in the truck for the season.

ok but what do you end up doing with it? i don't mind taking it home for the trash, but the possibility of it sitting for up to 6 days......

all of the ideas are good - bury it, drag it into the woods, bagging it, they all work. but i would rather take it home to the trash if it wasn't for the smell and animals getting to it.

Well in that regard Im lucky as I drive past the dump every day.

Or I add it to the dumpster at work that is already full of fish gore anyhow.

A couple of home owners even supply me with a trash barrel or two.
I fill 'em, they dump em'.

Then there is always the opportunity to really bum someone out if they deserve it.
Gut your deer near their spot. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom