• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handicapped parking scofflaws leads to drug, firearms bust in Chelmsford

CHELMSFORD — Two Lowell men were arrested Tuesday after a police officer who had approached them for parking illegally in a handicap spot found an unlicensed gun and two large bags of marijuana in the vehicle.

At about 12:30 p.m., a patrol officer noticed a vehicle idling in a handicap spot outside Walmart at Drum Hill Shopping Center. A passenger — later identified as Sari Rath, 33 — was inside the vehicle, police announced.

When the driver, Vuthy Ke, 39, emerged from Walmart, officers discovered that neither he nor Rath had a handicap placard.

When Rath opened the glove compartment, an officer saw the handle of a black handgun inside. Both men were then handcuffed, Assistant District Attorney Amy Parker said in court.

Upon searching the vehicle, police discovered an unlicensed handgun with 12 rounds in a magazine in the glove compartment, and two large, vacuum-sealed bags of marijuana in the trunk. They also found a white substance, which they believe to be cocaine, inside a folded $10 bill in Ke’s wallet, Parker said.

The two men were arrested. Ke was charged with possession of firearm without a permit, possession of a large capacity feeding device, illegal possession of ammunition, possession of a Class D substance with intent to distribute, and illegal possession of a Class B substance.

Rath was charged with possession of a firearm without a permit, possession of a large capacity feeding device, and illegal possession of ammunition.

Parker requested Ke be held on $5,000 cash bail, and Rath be held on $10,000 cash bail and have his bail revoked in an open Middlesex Superior Court case. In that case, Rath is charged with trafficking cocaine and possessing an unlicensed firearm, Parker said during the arraignment.

“There’s absolutely nothing to indicate, judge, that he (Rath) had any knowledge whatsoever that there was a firearm in the glove box…” Attorney Steve Rappaport, who represented Rath, said in court Wednesday. The firearm, Rappaport argued, was not in plain sight and Rath was not the driver.

Judge Patrick Malone ordered Ke held on $2,500 cash bail, and revoked Rath’s bail in his open superior court case.

Both defendants are scheduled for their next hearings on Feb. 24.

Gun laws are such a standing joke.

First rule of illegal handicapped parking club is. . . . don't have illegal crap in your car while illegally handicapped parking. Club.

It sounds like opening the glovebox that had a heater in it with the cop standing there and watching was where it all went pear shaped. Lesson: Hide your piece better, or just carry it.

It sounds like opening the glovebox that had a heater in it with the cop standing there and watching was where it all went pear shaped. Lesson: Hide your piece better, or just carry it.
According to the passengers lawyer he didn't know the gun was in the glove box.....thats why he opened it without hesitation......and is using that as evidence that the gun wasn't his.

However......he is waiting trail for another charge for posession of a fire arm without a license and narcotics so......🤔

I cannot stand these articles that state:

"Posession of an unlicensed fire arm"

I'm sure they mean "posession of a firearm without a license"

Fire arms don't need licenses. 🙄

Law & Order Effect. They talk like everything they do is gospel truth in all 50 states. LOL

Yup

Hey let's park in a handicapped spot with a couple pounds of weed in the trunk, cocain in my wallet, and a heater in the glove box.....so when the cops come I have to open the glove box for the reg and my wallet for my license

Funking dumb asses.
It goes to show how rarely people who park in HC spots are hassled over it. Dude was probably thinking "what are the odds?"

I ALWAYS tell students that it unwise to store a gun where the DL or registration is kept.

Don't you mean Dracut?
Chelmsford is more like Billericas slightly less trashy brother.

Nope. Westford is like Billerica and Tewksbury is like Saugus, and Methuen could pass for the North End on Columbus Day...

that location is better known as "The Third World Walmart"

I remember when it was Caldor's...
9186863cdbba72ca326fd11f859c58b8.jpg

String them up................................for parking in an HP spot, the rest I couldn't care less about.

String them up................................for parking in an HP spot, the rest I couldn't care less about.
Couldn’t agree more. I thought weed was legal in mass?? What gives??

that location is better known as "The Third World Walmart"

I feel like I cant wash the white trash off me when I leave that place.

With that said however, isnt it tolerated to idle in a handicap spot (not park) when there is a driver in the seat and the car is running? I seem to have remember hearing this somewhere. God knows you see it all the time at convenience stores.

Back
Top Bottom