Halloween murderer sentenced

Scrivener

Banned
And just in time for Christmas!

Gun charge nets trick-or-treater killer 16 years

12/14/2009 5:17:00 PM
Associated Press/AP Online

By JEFFREY COLLINS

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Quentin Patrick will spend at least the next 16 years in prison because the convicted drug dealer, paranoid of being robbed, answered a Halloween knock on his door with a barrage of bullets from an AK-47, killing a 12-year-old South Carolina boy.

But the 16-year, eight-month sentence handed down Monday was just 20 months more than the minimum Patrick could have faced after pleading guilty to a federal charge of being a felon in possession of a weapon.

"We wanted to see a life sentence, or at least something more than this," said Daphne Grinnell, who was in the family van when the shooting broke out Halloween 2008 and tried in vain to save her dying son T.J., hit by 11 bullets.

But Patrick still faces murder and assault charges in state court, and prosecutor Kelly Jackson said he will decide what to do about that case later. Jackson said Patrick could face 30 years to life in prison if convicted of murder.

T.J. Darrisaw was returning home from a city-sponsored party with his family when they decided to trick-or-treat at a few houses on the way back. They stopped at Patrick's home in Sumter because the front porch light was on - the traditional signal to welcome kids on Halloween.

T.J., wearing a ghoulish mask like his brother, sprinted onto the front porch and knocked. Inside, Patrick's girlfriend peeked out the window and screamed there were three large men in masks carrying a rope outside the door, according to his confession cited by prosecutors.

Patrick grabbed his AK-47 from the kitchen. It had been modified to keep firing with just one pull of the trigger. He emptied the magazine, firing 30 shots into the front of the house, according to court documents.

"T.J. Darrisaw ran up so he could be the first in line for the candy," federal prosecutor Stacey Haynes said. "Unfortunately, he was the first in line for 11 shots."

T.J.'s father and 9-year-old brother were struck twice and survived. A third brother was not hit.

Patrick opened the door, stepped over T.J.'s body, figured out he wasn't shooting at robbers, then ran back inside, passing his screaming 2-year-old daughter to put down the gun.

When police arrived, Patrick walked out, his palms up, and admitted to the shooting. Inside, investigators found $7,500 in cash, about four ounces of powder cocaine and items needed to turn powder cocaine into crack, prosecutors said.

Patrick wasn't supposed to have a gun because of felony drug convictions. His lawyer said he became increasingly paranoid since being shot during a robbery about 10 months before the Halloween shooting.

Patrick apologized to the boy's family at Monday's hearing, saying he wished he could bring T.J. back. But he disagreed with the prosecutor saying what happened that night was murder.

"I don't see myself as a murderer, sir," Patrick told the judge.

U.S. District Judge Matthew Perry seemed to agree. Instead of treating the crime as murder, which would have meant stiffer sentencing guidelines, he chose to treat it as voluntary manslaughter, dropping the recommendation closer to the minimum of 15 years.

The boy's family asked the judge for a life sentence, and Perry pointed out that was still possible in state court.

"We'll be there every day," Daphne Grinnell said of a possible state trial. "We know he deserves to be in jail the rest of his life."

So criminal not only possesses a gun, he uses it to gun down innocent people, and not only that, he does so with a gun that has been modified to be full auto. And the only charge they hit him with is felon in possession, give him the bare minimum and the state, a year later, is still deciding on whether or not to charge him for the murder.

Got it. [banghead]

16 years. Couldnt we get that for having an extra round in our in our mistakingly purchased non pre-ban glock mag?

Does not seem to make much sense.......

16 years. Couldnt we get that for having an extra round in our in our mistakingly purchased non pre-ban glock mag?

Does not seem to make much sense.......

I believe the 16 years were for "felon in possession". I don't believe he's been tried on the murder charges yet.

I believe the 16 years were for "felon in possession". I don't believe he's been tried on the murder charges yet.

That's the point. They haven't even bothered to indict him as the feds took the case for the felon in possession charge. Hell, the feds didn't even bother with the FA mfg charge. They probably won't because they already have the guy in jail.

I will be shocked if he's not tried for the murder+. I would assume that the feds wanted to bring their case to trial first so that's just what they did. The state gets to deal with him now.

Assuming he can't serve the sentences concurrently (assuming he is found guilty of some other crime which he should be), he shouldn't be out for quite awhile. I want to believe the guy's defense, though. I simply can't imagine anyone, even someone with as troubled a past as he had, intentionally shooting at these kids on Halloween. I can believe that he was probably under the influence of something, was paranoid, and did believe he was about to be robbed. Not that it in any way justifies what happened -- but I don't like to think that people could possibly be so purely evil. (I realize that there ARE people that are that evil but I wouldn't put most violent drug dealers to that level typically...)

Big assumption on the concurrency. Two separate trials and two separate systems. I am betting they will be concurrent.

But Patrick still faces murder and assault charges in state court, and prosecutor Kelly Jackson said he will decide what to do about that case later. Jackson said Patrick could face 30 years to life in prison if convicted of murder.

How is this even in question??? Try him on all charges, and press for maximum sentencing. [sad2]

Assuming he can't serve the sentences concurrently (assuming he is found guilty of some other crime which he should be), he shouldn't be out for quite awhile. I want to believe the guy's defense, though. I simply can't imagine anyone, even someone with as troubled a past as he had, intentionally shooting at these kids on Halloween. I can believe that he was probably under the influence of something, was paranoid, and did believe he was about to be robbed. Not that it in any way justifies what happened -- but I don't like to think that people could possibly be so purely evil. (I realize that there ARE people that are that evil but I wouldn't put most violent drug dealers to that level typically...)
He shouldn't be out. Ever.

And I don't care about whatever his intentions were.

That's 16 more years in prison than Rodney Peairs did for killing Yoshihiro_Hattori. Similar (not identical) scenarios, totally different outcomes.

NES legal scholars please educate me the differences between the two cases.

That's 16 more years in prison than Rodney Peairs did for killing Yoshihiro_Hattori. Similar (not identical) scenarios, totally different outcomes.

Being a drug dealer, a fear of people in masks at your door may be part of daily life, Halloween notwithstanding.

The Peairs verdict is a classic example of "jury nullification," often praised on this forum. It's the same "oh well; nothing to be done now" mentality exhibited by the Maine jury who acquitted the "hunter" who shot across a road to kill a woman hanging laundry. After all; it was her fault - she wore white mittens during deer season.

Before everyone gets too upset over this, remember that he got 16 years in Federal prison. He's going to fry in a SC state court. I'd be surprised if this guy doesn't spend the rest of his life in the joint.

Sentences virtually all run concurrent. The only "freedom" he's going to get is the van ride the Fed to the State courthouse and State pen.

Well, for starters one was a felon in possession and had unlawfully manufactured an NFA weapon - two significant felonies before he so much as loaded the firearm.

Back
Top Bottom