• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gym carry?

Most guys in the department use sling bags to carry off-duty, or at least that’s what a range master told me. None of the guys I work with ever thought of it.
I've noticed more and more urban youth broccoli haired guys carry messenger packs and man purses now. Pretty smart method of carry if you ask me. You can have something substantially bigger than a typical compact pistol in a belt holster. Having a tec9, mac10 or an AK draco on you is a tremendous advantage to hold down your turf.

That thing is so g@y. I love how the guy is so out of place in every shot, clearly a NES member.
The guy looks so uncomfortable at the beach. I guess that's what happens when you're dressed like a hitman wannabe when everyone else is in bathing suits. Finds a spot to watch a movie on his mini tablet, takes some notes and then a Glock appears out of nowhere? Hahaha

If you're lifting, carrying is going to get in the way. You can leave it for an hour to workout.
Or you can leave it in your bag while you're lifting, I don't see what the big deal is with that. I don't leave the house without my EDC so it's either going to be locked in the locker or it's going to be with me in the gym backpack I have with me while I'm working out. I would definitely not be able to work out with it on my body as it would be uncomfortable and I'd be sweating on the gun.

Or you can leave it in your bag while you're lifting, I don't see what the big deal is with that. I don't leave the house without my EDC so it's either going to be locked in the locker or it's going to be with me in the gym backpack I have with me while I'm working out. I would definitely not be able to work out with it on my body as it would be uncomfortable and I'd be sweating on the gun.
I am looking forward to the OP starting a thread on how he was doing some sick curls with a 2.5lbs dumbbell when it hit the front sight of his gun and broke it.

Last edited:
I've been going to the gym 4 or 5 days a week for years now and have never carried on body while working out. It would be super uncomfortable. It's just all around less practical with active wear. This is where a backpack setup or fanny pack works great. The bag stays on you or at your feet within sight at all times. A lot of bags (like the northface borealis or any other well built bag) these days have a padded laptop sleeve/compartment in the back, that's a great place to keep your gun in a kydex holster and a spare mag or two in a pouch. The laptop sleeve is narrow so they will set in there upright and stay in place, unlike if you were to just throw them in the main compartment of the bag.

Here's a pretty good video about it
View: https://youtu.be/5iK9f9KyS6k

Last edited:
I never heard of Helikon bags till last week. Apparently the operators up in Europe trust the company. I bought one of those, seems well made and the zippers are decent construction and open smoothly. Maxpedition zippers are pure trash in their most recent lineup and 5.11 tacticool used to produce the perfect covert bag called the 5.11 ZAP I think you can still find it on eBay.
After looking at everything on the market this seems to be the best, I'll be getting one shortly. I emailed customer service to make sure it will accommodate a full-size .45 and two mags.

After looking at everything on the market this seems to be the best, I'll be getting one shortly. I emailed customer service to make sure it will accommodate a full-size .45 and two mags.
My full sized FNX-45 with a TLR-1 in a kydex holster velcroed to the back big compartment fits just fine. As well as 2 spare mags velcroed to a holder on the second big pocket. You'll be fine.

Some states will allow you to, and this has been a hot point of debate in others. Wondering how MA has treated it. Can an LTC holder carry a loaded AR pistol in their car and conceal it upon their person?
I do not not believe an AR pistol will fit in a sling bag no matter how tactical it is. Perhaps a spandex trench coat would be an option for the gym

How can you maintain control of a firearm in a bag while you actually work out? You can't. At least not how I use dumbbells and barbells. Than again, half of NES probably thinks working out is reading a f***ing book while on an elliptical so who knows what they're really thinking/doing at the gym.

How can you maintain control of a firearm in a bag while you actually work out? You can't. At least not how I use dumbbells and barbells. Then again, half of NES probably thinks working out is reading a f***ing book while on an elliptical so who knows what they're really thinking/doing at the gym.
Yeah these jokers aren’t working out or taking care of their body, leaving a gun in a bag unattended even if 3ft away from you is irresponsible firearm handling.

Most PD guys I know carry in a sling bag, I want to keep the gun on my chest or slung to my lower back while doing compound lifts

Yeah these jokers aren’t working out or taking care of their body, leaving a gun in a bag unattended even if 3ft away from you is irresponsible firearm handling.

Most PD guys I know carry in a sling bag, I want to keep the gun on my chest or slung to my lower back while doing compound lifts
Hey whats your real account name on NES?

I'd be curious to see someone do a squat or deadlift wearing that.

I'm older and don't deadlift. I have squatted with it, without issue.

Usually concealing a S&W Shield or a S&W Bodyguard 380. (when at the gym)

I assume there could be some issues, with much larger and or heavier pistols.

I don't own a sling pack "yet". I will likely buy one for when I need to carry a little more stuff, but not enough for a back pack.

I have owned EDC fannypacks for over 30 years, they have a time and place, but seem to get in the way at the gym.

How can you maintain control of a firearm in a bag while you actually work out? You can't. At least not how I use dumbbells and barbells. Than again, half of NES probably thinks working out is reading a f***ing book while on an elliptical so who knows what they're really thinking/doing at the gym.

I maintain control of my bag that has my gun in it while I’m working out, it’s not that hard. It doesn’t require me to be in continuous physical contact with the gun or the bag. I can bang on the heavy bag, do burpees, deads, snatches, use dumbells, barbells, sleds, kettlebells, land mines, Bulgarian bags, sandbags and a whole lot of other equipment and <gasp> still manage to retain control of my bag w the gun in it.

And ZOMG the world won’t end if I’m 3 feet away from it but @IRON EAGLE, maybe when you actually own a gun you can lecture all of us on responsible firearm handling. Happy to bring you to a real gym and show you how it’s done.

Last edited:

Most PD guys I know carry in a sling bag, I want to keep the gun on my chest or slung to my lower back while doing compound
I’m confused- is Iron Eagle looking to carry a machine gun in Fanny pack at the gym?

If you can't leave a bag 3' from you at the gym you are going to some ghetto gym.

PS ... I want to point out that PD is what people in France call gay people, it is an abbreviation for pede.

Maybe you are trying to tell us you know a lot of gay guys?

Back
Top Bottom