• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gym carry?

Been going to the gym a lot more lately and I’m struggling with carrying there. Been considering a shoulder holster for a SW shield. Wondering how you guys carry while running or lifting weights.

Belt carry doesn’t seem to work well because I worry about exposing the pistol when my arms are over my head. I’d considered a shoulder holster because it seems less likely to be exposed. It would be worn over an undershirt but under a T-shirt.

I have a belly band....meh...it slips down easily but it would work if it had some extra support of some kind. Don’t love that it’s not fitted to the pistol too.

I’ve used it frequently to carry light stuff: tourniquet, quick clot, gloves, and multi tool. Worked ok but I don’t love it and I’ve had the Velcro come loose a couple times. Fine for non pistol stuff but I want something more solid for a pistol.

I should add that it’s a no name Chinese brand so that probably influences its function.

As an aside I usually wear a belt at the gym, at least in colder weather.

I've carried my LCP in a Smartcarry holster with no issues. A little uncomfortable on ab days, but doable. With the sweating the holster needs some cleaning.

What is this ‘gym’ you speak of? Sounds like a place I have no interest in going to.

I can't believe you guys don't hang around with Gym. He's a good guy. And he likes guns. But his name is spelled J-I-M.

As far as gym carry, gosh, I've never thought about it. The only thing I'd think of is not wanting to leave my gun in my gym locker or my car. But worrying about someone wanting to do me harm in a gym. . . . only the sad bf's of the hot babes I pick up all over town. I guess I'd go fanny-pack.

360901A5-484C-44DC-8DA9-D518D1306496.jpeg 48CFE213-B7D0-4F03-8E41-C007E72D4BEB.jpeg 6342BD62-5E7D-41A6-8B2B-6DA97D57DB99.jpeg 922BEF6E-8507-40E5-BA27-41B0E9E2F92D.jpeg

I just keep a small bookbag type pack with me, very non discript, has a hidden holster in it. Holds spare mags, a couple water bottles, small towel, extra T-shirt, some first aid, tourniquet etc. Been using it for over a year now and no ones ever looked at it cross eyed.

I don’t use the gym showers or lockers so it stays right at my feet while I’m working out. Too many cars and lockers have been targeted by thieves at gyms, I wouldn’t leave my heater in a vehicle or locker for that reason. Even if I open the bag completely you’d never see the hidden pocket with a pistol in it. Have seen several people that bring these types of bags in to carry personal items so really it fits in well and never have to worry about it falling out of a body holster or being seen under a shirt/shorts.

Keep it simple and act like you belong there, most people are completely oblivious to their surroundings anyway.

I don’t use the gym showers or lockers so it stays right at my feet while I’m working out

Glock-on-a-rope could be one answer. [smile]

iu

I like the Smartcarry the best for working out. Way better than any bellyband I've ever seen. Alternatively, the Under Tech Undercover shirt is great, but carrying in that position is going to put a fair amount of sweat on the gun. The Smartcarry holster tends to do a very good job of keeping sweat off the gun, and you could even put a barrier in the pocket between your body and the pistol. Both options are excellent for deep cover carry, and the Smartcarry can be drawn very quickly with practice.

I believe a sling bag is the best way to carry in the gym, either around the waist or chest. Do any of you have experience with a tac sling bag? Are there any that will comfortably and reliably accommodate a full-size .45?

I know a guy at my gym who keeps his gun right in his gym bag and it follows him around to every station

I personally don't carry while working out but in my opinion if you can keep your bag with you that would be the better option

now we are approaching troll level.

go GREEN or go away

and there are many of us here without LTC's that are still green

I know a guy at my gym who keeps his gun right in his gym bag and it follows him around to every station

I personally don't carry while working out but in my opinion if you can keep your bag with you that would be the better option

That's what I do, keep it in my backpack that's with me when I'm working out.

That's what I do, keep it in my backpack that's with me when I'm working out.
I need to start thinking about doing this honestly, my gun is always in my truck as well as my backpack.

Only reason I haven't is more than occasionally I shower after my workout there and I just don't trust locking it up in a locker

Back
Top Bottom