• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsmith recommendation for...

Looking for recommendations on several very different firearms. I am in eastern MA but willing to drive/ship to most anyplace in NE for the right guy.
Same guy to do all this stuff? IDK, it seems likely the way to go is to have each project done by someone who's specialty is the thing that needs doing.
Anyway, i do not know a good way to find a good smith other than to ask fellow shooters. Thanks!
1. S&W revolver ninja ... looking for pro to do action job(s) to make em as good as they can be
2. AK guru....I have several sweet pre-ban chinese ak's that I want to bring into this century
3. Rifle guy.....would like a muzzle break installed onto a .308 rifle that has nothing on it

Derr can do #1 and #2. But there are other places that can also do work on SW revolvers like TK Custom.

#3 you can do that yourself, or any OK gunsmith should be able to do it. Unless you also need to thread the barrel.

Last edited:
Derr can do #1 and #2. But there sre other places that can also do work on SW revolvers like TK Custom.

#3 you can do that yourself, or any OK gunsmith should be able to do it. Unless you also need to thread the barrel.
lol yes, if it was threaded I could easily do it, but barrel needs to be threaded. And since I am a mass-hole, pinned and welded as well :)

Who is Derr?

lol yes, if it was threaded I could easily do it, but barrel needs to be threaded. And since I am a mass-hole, pinned and welded as well :)

Who is Derr?

Ask Greg Derr about the barrel. He can probably do it.

#1 and #2 he can definitely do. TK Custom does excellent work, a lot of people that compete with revolvers send their SW and Rugers there.

Looking for recommendations on several very different firearms. I am in eastern MA but willing to drive/ship to most anyplace in NE for the right guy.
Same guy to do all this stuff? IDK, it seems likely the way to go is to have each project done by someone who's specialty is the thing that needs doing.
Anyway, i do not know a good way to find a good smith other than to ask fellow shooters. Thanks!
1. S&W revolver ninja ... looking for pro to do action job(s) to make em as good as they can be
2. AK guru....I have several sweet pre-ban chinese ak's that I want to bring into this century
3. Rifle guy.....would like a muzzle break installed onto a .308 rifle that has nothing on it
Have you contacted northeast arms in Peabody?
@sschevy

I dunno. A nice modernish folding stock would help a lot. Railtopia? Nah.
Folding stock does not necessarily = modern.

When I read of someone making an AK modern, I think "tactical". And when I think tactical, I think several feet of rails all over the AK.

Preban Norinco or Poly AK in box with all the mags - sell it as-is and buy a crappy pre-ban to "modernize." Those old ones are collectible. And smooth as F.
The AK's are pre-ban norinco mak-90. I am a shooter, not a collector, and they are everything you want an AK to be, and then some. Bombproof, supremely dependable with any and all ammo and mags, easy handling, and surprisingly accurate. I have fitted magpul folding stocks and I like them. What I mean by bringing into this century is treating the metal to last a long time, be it coating or some sort of robust new age "blueing"...fitting a muzzle device to ease the 7.62 thump a little (a challenge if you know mak-90 story), and adding a handguard that covers a bit more of the ridiculously hot parts than a retainer length guard does. I don't want to wear a welding glove at the range. Perhaps most importantly I need a solid mount for a red dot. Unlike most folks I actually do like the sights on these things, but they are not near as quick as a dot. And yes Broc, I need a bit of rail, not several feet though...just an inch or 2 for a light. There are some really solid options for sight mounting and handguards but talking to a pro and getting it right the first time makes sense to me. If I can do that, I will have a pair of rifles that are not only legal where i live, but be superior (for me) to anything I could get new no matter where I lived (save for perhaps a galil ace) that will last a lifetime.

Edit: the best optic mount I know of is from saber works but it involves replacing the trunnion. If I go that way I want a pro doing it. The other, is installing a side mount. I could probably do that myself but having it done by someone who has done 100 of em appeals to me. Each of these has its advantages. For my SHTF motif on these I'll probably go side mount so that the sights are available in a second or 2 if the dot fails.

Last edited:
Folding stock does not necessarily = modern.

When I read of someone making an AK modern, I think "tactical". And when I think tactical, I think several feet of rails all over the AK.

MODERNISH folding stock. Not them 1970's wire AK stocks or underfolders. Both suck to shoot with. Modern left-fold, easy to deploy-and-stow stocks.

I still love the LOOK of an under folder or a Poly with hte "outline" stock and the red bakelite "cheek weld" but they are not fun stocks.

Is saxonville armory still taking work? They could probably do this as well

Is saxonville armory still taking work? They could probably do this as well
Saxonville has closed.
I have used Leominster Micro Welding for some classic car part (thin wall tubing) repairs - might be worth calling.

Santurri in Attleboro i cant recommend enough.
As far as the ar, why put a break on it? I love mine without breaks. Soo much quieter

Greg Derr did a very, very nice trigger job on my S&W Model 19. He also repaired a couple pits and had a beautiful blueing performed.

Back
Top Bottom