Guns you bought becuse they "looked cool"

If we're talking guns we've regretted buying, but did anyway for the cool factor:

M1 Garand

Yup, I said it. EVERYONE since Patton has said how great it is. I didn't like it, but bought it anyway thinking I'd get used to it. Never did.

Its replacement in the safe was a Marlin 336, because lever guns are cool. I'm much happier now.

That's all good I was going to say ::eek:pens can of worms:: the SKS I bought then subsequently sold. I thought I would like it but I just couldn't get in to it for some reason.

Last edited:
Its replacement in the safe was a Marlin 336, because lever guns are cool. I'm much happier now.

I've got a 336, too. Really a fun shooter. Besides the Tec-9M I mentioned earlier, another "cool" looking impulse buy was my Norinco SKS Sporter. It was $250 at the time, high for an SKS, but the box magazine and thumbhole stock looked cool.

I fell out of love with the stock the first time I shot it. It handles like a hunk of deck planking.

ETA: Whenever I take out the 336, I find myself uttering the "Rifleman" theme .... da da ta-da-da, da ta-da-da da!

Last edited:
Funny how over time, guns that were pieces of chit yesterday are still pieces of chit today.

I guess you like "odd" a whole lot better than "quality".

I remember starting out in the '60s with an ever-changing stream of wobley Webleys, nickle flaked top break rustolovers and damascus barreld shotguns with copper wire and friction tape repaired stocks. Eventually I got tired of selling $10 guns for half what I paid for them and moved up the quality ladder a couple of notches at a time. I think that a lot of folks start with great ambition and not too much money to back it up. It certainly can be educational figuring out how to hold a creaky old shotgun so that it doesn't open when fired or adjusting the magazine lips of some pot metal pistola with a rock and a pair of water pump pliers so that it usually functioned more than one shot in a row.
I think that I was about 16 before I knew that automatics were supposed to reload themselves without any help.[shocked]
BTW, they all looked 'cool' to me in those days.

Jack

One of the original Bushmaster .223 pistols. The one with the swiveling reciever meant to be shot tucked into your elbow. Impossible to aim, and I sold it 5 years before laser target designators became generally available. "Stupid is as stupid does."

I'd love to find another one now.

I bought a second hand .44 Mag Desert Eagle back in college. Looked cool & shot OK, but eventually traded it away.

I had a Marlin 444 that was an impulse buy. Bada$$ big bore lever gun. It was kind of expensive to shoot (even back when ammo was less than a buck a pop) so the plan was to reload for it along with the 44 mag. Never got around to the reloads, so I only put about 60 rounds through it before it got relegated to the back of the gun case. Traded that one off too.

I look at it this way.... there isn't a single gun in my collection that I can't say looks cool to me.

I'm a gun nut/collector/shooter, whatever label you want to use.

Yes I've been burned or regreted buying a gun that I bought for the "cool factor" and found that they didn't live up to my expectations, but thats live and learn.[wink]

AMT HardBaller.

Worst gun I ever bought.

I had the AMT Long Slide version. It was second to the A.O. ZG-51 Pit Bull in terms of unreliability. It looked cool because Arnold used one in the first Terminator movie. AMT really made some El Crappo guns. BTW, these two turkeys turned me off to 1911's for nearly ten years until I got a real Colt. Now I have two Colts and an SVI, all three of which are very reliable.

Nope, you're not the only one! I have an Interarms PPK/s that I bought used at a Corpus Christi gun show in 1994. I have NO idea how old it is or how many rounds it had through it. Been perfectly reliable with anything I've thrown at it, including hollow points. I bought some S&W mags, which have also been perfectly reliable, because the one magazine that came with it had some pretty chewed up feed lips. Still ran perfectly, though. Never, ever had a part break or even needed to change any springs. Great gun, but a little large and heavy these days for the .380 pocket carry role. I can carry my P3AT with a +1 magazine extension and have the same capacity in a MUCH smaller and lighter package. Heck, even my PM9 (with +p 9mm) is smaller and lighter and packs a bigger punch.

DSC01930.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

Yeah but James Bond and the German General Staff never carried a P3AT. [wink]

(yeah, I know that neither carried a PPK/S either but they carried Walthers that were similar [smile])

Mark L.

Last edited:
When I return to town I will consummate a trade that will bring me a Deagle .44Mag.

I'm pretty sure that this bad larry fits the bill for "guns I bought because they looked cool." In fact, I believe it may be my future safe queen ...unless I find a hidden passion for 44.mag.

and I may.

Every gun I ever bought, I got because they looked cool. [wink]
My thoughts exactly (without the wink). I've never bought a gun simply for functionality, almost always the cool factor is the first criteria on the list. Some of my most recent purchase relying solely on the coolness of a gun were the Saiga 12, and the GSG-5. Both very cool and very functional.
Oh and for those of you whining about stuff you bought that you later hated I have this to say:
"I Regret Nothing"[laugh]

I used to have the .25ACP edition. Wish I still had it. I think I paid $150 (new) in the early '90s.
Check Yankee Artifacts' website; they frequently have them in, and they've got one now in .25ACP for $229. Got a couple in .22LR, as well.
I bought a C96 Mauser Broomhandle because it looked cool. It still does too.
Sure does.
The Peacemaker's Gran'pappy, .44 Caliber Colt 1860 Army (repro.)

Aside from good looks and perfect balance, it shoots very well, and the only paperwork is a charge card receipt.
[party]

And, if I decide to hop on my mule and do a 'drive by', like Jose Wales, there won't be any spent shell casings for the CSI guys to use against me.[laugh]
I like my .44 Remington repro (the 1858) - I need to go shoot it some more.
AMT HardBaller.

Worst gun I ever bought.
Another poor sucker. I feel for you; and I agree with your feelings 100%.
I had the AMT Long Slide version. It was second to the A.O. ZG-51 Pit Bull in terms of unreliability. It looked cool because Arnold used one in the first Terminator movie. AMT really made some El Crappo guns. BTW, these two turkeys turned me off to 1911's for nearly ten years until I got a real Colt. Now I have two Colts and an SVI, all three of which are very reliable.
I've got an S&W and a Para P12 - much better than that AMT. Traded the AMT for a Ruger P90 and never regretted it for a second.

I totally agree on the Tokarev and the ps90.. I had a Norinco Tok in 7.62x 25 and 38 super.. Great gun, great rounds..

And the ps90 is a great gun as well. high tech, great round,excellent design, sights etc.. definitelya keeper.

This was really supposed tobe a thread about regretful purchases..

I HAD 2 of these over the years then I traded them for something else of course. Yes I had the short barrel (just for show you know) I got it from a small little company (back then) named Bushmaster. [smile]

UZI 9mm

uzi1.jpg

I bought my Beretta 92FS because I thought it looked cool, and it is the same gun used by Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon and Bruce Willis in Die Hard. I needed to buy a duty gun and it was a toss up between that, a Sig P226, and a Glock 17 or 22. So I chose the Beretta and I couldn't be happier with it.

There is NOTHING cooler or classier than Smith & Wesson blued or nickel plated revolvers. Not 1911s, Not High Powers, and definitely not something done in Duracoat, Melonite, Tenifer, or whatever.

Not even Colt revolvers. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom