• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns that never should have been discontinued

Maine people and some others are all crazy about these 760 and 7600 pumps because of the Benoit/Hal Blood tracking gayness. They think you can't track a deer with any other rifle.
Its made them hard to find and expensive.

Then there is the hate for the 742 Woodsmaster and 7400 autoloaders because Benoit said they were jammasters. Reality is. They are not robust semi autos, like a BAR, but used for hunting only they are pretty good guns if you clean and oil them right. And because of the Jammaster hate, I picked up a near new condition 100% unfxcked with 1950's 742, with beautiful same period weaver scope that works great, for $250 off the Cabelas rack. Looked ike it sat in someone's safe for 70 years.

Took it home shot it dead on at 100 yards, 2" group......functioned flawlessly.
Didn't the Benoit's carry 760's?

interesting choice. if i remember correctly, when they were available, no one really liked them. that was the grip squeeze cock to shoot, designed for the west german police, after the olympic debacle, was it not? the trigger pull was outlandishly...heavy and squishy? but now, prices are through the roof. wish i had one if it's the pistol i described.

for me, the colt saa. i know it never really went away, you could get one from the custom shop, but for a crazy stupid price. they served no purpose other than being cool. the saa still counts as a modern era gun right? they made them until when...the 80's?

You've got the squeeze cocker part right, but I think you're confusing the P7 trigger with the VP70 trigger. The trigger pull on that thing was heavier than the squeeze cocker on a P7.

I would also vote for the P7.

I wouldn't mind seeing the third gen S&W's go into production again either, but there's a ton of them out there available and they're almost all pretty cheap.

Oh.....JFC.....maybe I missed it but we are at page 5 and there is no love for the original Browning A5 shotgun??????? Blasphemy!!
I was definitely going to post that the original a5 should have kept being made but.....

Given that the Remy 1100 produced way less recoil and was less expensive.....it was probably time for the original a5 to come off the production line.

The good news......it was so popular.....and made for almost 100 years......that there are plenty of fine used ones out there. Honestly I don't think if they were made new today they would have the same look, quality, and feel of the old ones.

I love my 1969 made light 12......as a great old shotgun. If browning them brand new I'm not sure I'd even buy one.

I was definitely going to post that the original a5 should have kept being made but.....

Given that the Remy 1100 produced way less recoil and was less expensive.....it was probably time for the original a5 to come off the production line.

The good news......it was so popular.....and made for almost 100 years......that there are plenty of fine used ones out there. Honestly I don't think if they were made new today they would have the same look, quality, and feel of the old ones.

I love my 1969 made light 12......as a great old shotgun. If browning them brand new I'm not sure I'd even buy one.
I thought someone reinvented the sweet 16 with new internals. Kept the old look but made it more functional ?

I thought someone reinvented the sweet 16 with new internals. Kept the old look but made it more functional ?
The "new" a5 came out like 10 years ago. Has the overall look and feel of an original a5......just inertia operated instead of long recoil operated. I have an original a5 and a new model a5.

Browning-A5-High-Grade-Hunter-lead.jpg

Another vote for a Savage model 99. I would love to be able to get a new one in 358 Win. Used ones go for ridiculous money.

Here you go:
Pretty sure those have been out of stock since the beginning of Covid. 962BD344-4494-4EFC-8086-5CB23A741774.jpeg

Another vote for a Savage model 99. I would love to be able to get a new one in 358 Win. Used ones go for ridiculous money.
My uncle had one in .358 Win. Very rare. But he traded it for a Belgian BAR grade 2 which I have now.

But man I wish he kept the Savage!

I know a 92yr old that has one in mint condition, have tried buying it from him a few times. He always replies with ..... "Steve , nothing's for sale"
My dad's like you can sell or trade that Ruger 44mag if you want......I'm like yeah...are you nuts???? Its a near perfect 50 year old gun that they don't make anymore and everyone seems to want, but probably don't want to pay real money for. Not happening.

Agree......same as the Ithaca 37. When they produced "new" ones in Sandusky, they are 800 dollars. Meanwhile, there are tons of used ones out there for cheaper. The market is just not there yet.

Add that the A-5 is a dino design compared to new gas and inertia guns. The only thing going for it is looks.....steel reciever and nice scrollwork, wood to metal fit, etc...... which will never be seen again in a semi auto production gun under 1K. And if they had to produce it....it would cost 1500 or more and no one would buy it.

It's not a range gun. Whether it's a novelty is open for debate, but the current prices/collectability, lack of holsters, and the parts situation make it less than ideal for a carry gun, but that doesn't stop all of us. [smile]

Pretty sure those have been out of stock since the beginning of Covid.View attachment 710377

Luth-AR was the only company making a carry handle upper that was available and in stock when I was putting parts together for a 733 clone last year. They seem to be out of stock now though. The only companies that seem to even be producing them anymore are them and Del-Ton (but they've been out of stock for what feels like more than a year).

Here you go:
It's weird that an upper would be age and location restricted.

For better or for worse Glock absolutely changed the world as far as handguns goes. Also really disappointed with what's happening over at CZ since they bought Colt.
They played in a section of the market not many were playing in. Since then, many tried entering that market, some successfully, others with horrible guns (Ruger).

Glock shouldn't be blamed for other companies having sh*t executive leadership.

Some companies are destroying themselves to jump in the plastic world.

My dad's like you can sell or trade that Ruger 44mag if you want......I'm like yeah...are you nuts???? Its a near perfect 50 year old gun that they don't make anymore and everyone seems to want, but probably don't want to pay real money for. Not happening.

I know a 92yr old that has one in mint condition, have tried buying it from him a few times. He always replies with ..... "Steve , nothing's for sale"

Think you mean the Deerstalker not the Deerfield, the Deerfield is not 50 years old:

They played in a section of the market not many were playing in. Since then, many tried entering that market, some successfully, others with horrible guns (Ruger).

Glock shouldn't be blamed for other companies having sh*t executive leadership.

Some companies are destroying themselves to jump in the plastic world.
Really they were really cutting edge in what they did. Maybe not necessarily the guns itself. The plastic striker fired gun had been done before but not the way Glock was able to do it. The way they brought it to market. The giveaways to PDs was absolute genius on their part. Also it helped that the industry as whole was incredibly slow to react to what they were doing.

Really they were really cutting edge in what they did. Maybe not necessarily the guns itself. The plastic striker fired gun had been done before but not the way Glock was able to do it. The way they brought it to market. The giveaways to PDs was absolute genius on their part. Also it helped that the industry as whole was incredibly slow to react to what they were doing.
And their design is fairly simple with great ergonomics.

Now if they could work on the naming of their guns ...

Back
Top Bottom