Guns that never should have been discontinued

Is anyone shooting the old single shot IMSA guns anymore? There was a good run for a while, then it just evaporated. I wish they’d bring some of those back. It’s always fun to reach out and touch something at 300 yards with a handgun.

So the earlier P7s had two issues. One, they got fairly hot when shot a lot due to the gas piston under the barrel. Second, the heel magazine release was not US popular. The P7m8 fixed those issues but it was still an 8 shot pistol. They had a following but were expensive even when they were sold. But the trigger is very good, like a 1911 since the squeeze mechanism cocks the gun. I think what killed it was higher capacity 9s for less money and the failure of LE to adopt it. Connecticut tried them with the state police but they kept shooting themselves when they drew the gun I think and retired them.
There was also the P7M13 (13 round 9mm), P7M10 (10 rounds fotay - chunky, very bulky slide) , P7K3 (small calibers, I don't think it made it to the use) and a P7M7 45 that never made it past prototypes.

I think a bunch of NJ officers shooting themselves with it by accident because they didn't have proper finger discipline for a light single action trigger cause the NJSP to switch away from it, that hastened it's demise. If you see a P7 for sale with a flat 1/2" touch blued milled area on the slide, it's probably one of the NJSP trade ins as they required the agency designation or seal not appear on the gun.

Last edited:
Ruger SR9c. Good inexpensive compact pistol, no reason to replace it with the security 9 or Ruger American Pistol garbage.
I paired the SR9c with the 9mm PC Carbine to share both ammo an mags. I run my carbine with a 1x red dot on a riser to also allow use of the "irons" in case the red dot goes south.

A gun which should never have been discontinued? Easy .. German 88mm Flak !!! Fantastic weapon, albeit a tad unwieldy for home defense.

Is anyone shooting the old single shot IMSA guns anymore? There was a good run for a while, then it just evaporated. I wish they’d bring some of those back. It’s always fun to reach out and touch something at 300 yards with a handgun.
I drag out the XP100 every once in a while. Found it on NES. 7mm BR with a custom McGowan barrel and McMillan stock, crazy accuracy.

The older Thompson Center .22lr rifle. Not the current model, and maybe not the one before that, but the one before that. Can't find it on google.

Classic? T/CR22?

Thompson/Center Arms T/CR22

NEF Handi Rifle had a useful slot.

Single shot, accurate, reliable, inexpensive. Not a looker, but a worker.

So the earlier P7s had two issues. One, they got fairly hot when shot a lot due to the gas piston under the barrel. Second, the heel magazine release was not US popular. The P7m8 fixed those issues but it was still an 8 shot pistol. They had a following but were expensive even when they were sold. But the trigger is very good, like a 1911 since the squeeze mechanism cocks the gun. I think what killed it was higher capacity 9s for less money and the failure of LE to adopt it. Connecticut tried them with the state police but they kept shooting themselves when they drew the gun I think and retired them.
New Jersey state police used then for a long time.

There was also the P7M13 for those that wanted more rounds.

I have a P7-PSP (police service pistol) so no upgrades.

Trigger is awesome. No squish.

The other problem is the P7 didn't lend itself to modern manufacturing. The guns were like a swiss watch..... not something that could get easily churned out for cheap. If HK ever brought it back they could sell them for 2k and they'd fly out the door..... they were about 12-1300 bucks before manufacturing completely stopped.
26FE5DFB-D1A1-477C-AFC7-80494E192676.jpeg

Did anybody ask for the Beretta Cheetah to return?

Wish granted,

Ruger SR9c. Good inexpensive compact pistol, no reason to replace it with the security 9 or Ruger American Pistol garbage.
The Ruger American series is such a dog it made zero sense to me why Ruger didn't release a 2.0 version of the SR series with a different modular grip lower (similar to the M&P series) and some other improvements.

I also don't get why Ruger didn't make the chevron cuts for grips on their slides a uniform trait across their pistol series either, since it would distinctive to Ruger as much as the fish scallop cuts are to S&W.

The 181 series Mini-14 receivers with knob adjustable sights were better than the current 581+ series too, all Ruger should have done is add the heavier barrel and tap the top of the receiver for scope rings/rails when they replaced the tooling and not cheapened the sights to the bolt on crap they are now. Stupid penny pinching moves cheapening the rifle on one hand while making it more expensive on the other.

I'd say that FN shouldn't have discontinued the Hi-Power, except that it actually made things better by increasing demand. Which made other manufacturers step in and provide more options.

Now that Browning/FN has "reissued" the Hi-Power in a shittier form, you can't really say it's discontinued anymore. Even though it is.

The Ruger American series is such a dog it made zero sense to me why Ruger didn't release a 2.0 version of the SR series with a different modular grip lower (similar to the M&P series) and some other improvements.

Ruger could have stripped all the safety trash and the gay pride flag off the top and resold it as SR9 pro series and it would have sold a lot more guns. People don't like being insulted that much..... 🤣

I think a bunch of NJ officers shooting themselves with it by accident because they didn't have proper finger discipline for a light single action trigger cause the NJSP to switch away from it, that hastened it's demise. If you see a P7 for sale with a flat 1/2" touch blued milled area on the slide, it's probably one of the NJSP trade ins as they required the agency designation or seal not appear on the gun.
I have one of those NJSP turn-ins. I can tell you that after a few mags, it will burn your hand! They never fixed that problem.

I have one of those NJSP turn-ins. I can tell you that after a few mags, it will burn your hand! They never fixed that problem.
You were never supposed to shoot a suspect until you burned you hand.

I know, NJ. Shoot the suspect until it’s hurts you. Then pause to let the gun cool.

All of the above. That one in the photo is a beauty.

I'll add:
S&W 66
German MG42 (guessing it is no longer around)
MG42 is still in use as the MG3, shares most of the same parts as the MG42, couple things are somewhat modernized on it, and they chamber it in 7.62x51 now.

I would bring back the Colt Woodsman pistols and the Colt Police Positive revolvers. I also wish S&W kept making the 3rd gen pistols.

Last edited:
Hopefully not dead in the water yet, I have one with a late year 2022 date. Not a California version either. So maybe some small batches here or there. Great little shooter.

I regret not buying a Sport model at the Deli Counter years ago - I think that model was a little under $500, it came with a Hogue grip.

That's the pump, the original 760 was better than the 7600 quality wise. The 742 & 7400 are the autloaders and they were pretty good too. Wouldn't mind seeing them back in production in their original forms.
Because I had 99's chambered in the .300 Sav I was offered up a near mint 760 in the .300 Sav some years ago. Cheap money too. I said nahh.....what a freakin dope....

Saw a "gently used" red label split the stock on the first shot. Guy bought it from a friend.....went to the club trap range to test it out. First shot the stock came apart.
They had some issues.....not sure any more than any other gun. But I think the fact that it was a popular gun, an american made O/U, the company is still alive and well, yet they've thrown their hands up and won't fix it anymore, irks many people. Its not like they bought some Parker or Fox that the company has been out of business for years.

I have a 20 and 28 gauge and they have been great guns. Fit well, hit well, and I shoot some of the best skeet scores with them, even though both have 26" barrels and english straight stocks. But sadly I use something else and just hunt with them occasionally because if it breaks, I'm effed. I'm trying to keep them to hand down.

Because I had 99's chambered in the .300 Sav I was offered up a near mint 760 in the .300 Sav some years ago. Cheap money too. I said nahh.....what a freakin dope....
An old guy in my club said he had a 760 in 300 savage. I told him whenever he decides to sell his guns I would like first refusal on it. It was well used in blueing and wood, but he sold it to me for 150. I refinished the stocks and it came out awesome.

Back
Top Bottom