Guns that never should have been discontinued

That's the pump, the original 760 was better than the 7600 quality wise. The 742 & 7400 are the autloaders and they were pretty good too. Wouldn't mind seeing them back in production in their original forms.
Maine people and some others are all crazy about these 760 and 7600 pumps because of the Benoit/Hal Blood tracking gayness. They think you can't track a deer with any other rifle.
Its made them hard to find and expensive.

Then there is the hate for the 742 Woodsmaster and 7400 autoloaders because Benoit said they were jammasters. Reality is. They are not robust semi autos, like a BAR, but used for hunting only they are pretty good guns if you clean and oil them right. And because of the Jammaster hate, I picked up a near new condition 100% unfxcked with 1950's 742, with beautiful same period weaver scope that works great, for $250 off the Cabelas rack. Looked ike it sat in someone's safe for 70 years.

Took it home shot it dead on at 100 yards, 2" group......functioned flawlessly.

Last edited:
Not sure if mentioned - Winchester 61
Pre 64 Winchester anything pretty much. They had a lot of nice guns. 1894, 1892, 1873, Model 70, Model 21, Model 24........too many nice guns to even go there.

I know you can buy Miroku copies and I have one of the 1894, but they are pricy, and not from USA.

I'll add the Marlin 336, as technically, its not being produced by Ruger yet.

I think some of the older Marlin and Savage 22's could make this list, as well as many of the old Sears, Stevens, JC Higgins, etc .22 and .22 Mag bolt guns.

While we’re at it, why did Smith discontinue the Model 13 & 65 revolvers? Well made, easy to carry, they’d probably sell like crazy.
Someone else mentioned the K frame in 327 magnum. I couldn’t agree more. 3” barrel too.
The later was kept in production because of the NYPD and armored car companies for a long time before policies changed.

I guess I have to get mine threaded!

Ain’t that something?
LOL ... f*ck returning it. Learn how to properly install a barrel.

What is sad about CZ, is that their list of discontinued guns is way more impressive than their current production list. Specially for rifles.

It is sad, CZ is going to sh*t (at least for rifles). Do they keep it there as a sad reminder of what CZ used to be? ... like some depressed guy staring at his ex girlfriend's picture.

Link to sadness:

had a hk p7 one of the first that came in, was not my gun could not group with it, got a good trade on a early s&w 29 44mag 6.5 inch barrel, still wish i kept the p7

LOL ... f*ck returning it. Learn how to properly install a barrel.

What is sad about CZ, is that their list of discontinued guns is way more impressive than their current production list. Specially for rifles.

It is sad, CZ is going to sh*t (at least for rifles). Do they keep it there as a sad reminder of what CZ used to be? ... like some depressed guy staring at his ex girlfriend's picture.

Link to sadness:
I scoured everywhere a few years ago looking for the ebony model in .223. Such a shame the best models are going the way of the dodo.

View: https://youtu.be/4o_uU-a3TR8

I'll take a Lee Enfield Rifle No4.mk2 in 7.62mm NATO too.

...that's going to be difficult. I'm not aware of anyone who ever made one, other than importers who messed with milsurps. The Indians made an LE in 7.62 NATO, but it was based on the older No 1 Mk III, not the No 4.

If we go by that standard, than I want a modern production Lee Navy that won't kaboom & kill me and a Winchester 1895 Russian musket. I'll take a Lee Enfield Rifle No4.mk2 in 7.62mm NATO too.

A Lee Navy in 30 super carry-rimmed? How about an Enfield 4mk2 in 8.6 blackout?

...that's going to be difficult. I'm not aware of anyone who ever made one, other than importers who messed with milsurps. The Indians made an LE in 7.62 NATO, but it was based on the older No 1 Mk III, not the No 4.
They were briefly made by Australian International Arms (AIA) in 2007-2008 and prior to that ROF Fazakerly did make a few test models using 7.62mm NATO for Commonwealth export 1956ish that never went anywhere because the tooling was donated to Pakistan. Why Ishapore didn't adopt the No4 pattern rather than bastardizing No.1 Mk3s for the L2A1, I don't know.
No4Mk4Bluew-660x137.jpg

aia-ad-compressed.jpg

Maine people and some others are all crazy about these 760 and 7600 pumps because of the Benoit/Hal Blood tracking gayness. They think you can't track a deer with any other rifle.
Its made them hard to find and expensive.

Then there is the hate for the 742 Woodsman and 7400 autoloaders because Benoit said they were jammasters. Reality is. They are not robust semi autos, like a BAR, but used for hunting only they are pretty good guns if you clean and oil them right. And because of the Jammaster hate, I picked up a near new condition 100% unfxcked with 1950's 742, with beautiful same period weaver scope that works great, for $250 off the Cabelas rack. Looked ike it sat in someone's safe for 70 years.

Took it home shot it dead on at 100 yards, 2" group......functioned flawlessly.
I have a 742 in .280 Rem that's always been flawless. I like the 760's too though.

For better or for worse Glock absolutely changed the world as far as handguns goes. Also really disappointed with what's happening over at CZ since they bought Colt.

Back
Top Bottom