• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns, Military Shells Seized From Cohasset Home

Nice try Rob.

You guys have any idea how many "credible tips" actually come in from sons and daughters of 65 year old fathers that dont like the fact that there is a large collection of firearms in their old mans home that they may have to deal with when he kicks the bucket?
I do. It happens all the ****ing time. Not just firearms, but drivers licenses and some other fun shit that family members dont want to handle, so they dump it off on the local cops.

Some of you guys actually think you know your sons and daughters; you dont.

and you have published statistics to back that statement?

So let's say there is a list of licensed firearm owners in MA.
Some anti gun owner decides to use said list to claim improper storage of firearms.
What next end up like this guy did?

So let's say there is a list of licensed firearm owners in MA.
Some anti gun owner decides to use said list to claim improper storage of firearms.
What next end up like this guy did?
As GPP mentioned, it is quite possible the tip came from a family member thus the "credibility".

Wasn't there a federal case recently that shed doubt on the legal requirements to lock firearms up? If not, either way the fact a judge signed off a search warrant over here say is a bit absurd.

and you have published statistics to back that statement?

Published?

No. No I dont have published statistics. They dont exist, at least in the reality I exist in.

I will though, give some personal experience, you can take it any way youd like.

Ive been a full time LEO for 28+ years.

I have built a nice collection of various firearms since 1986, as I am a " gun guy".

Mrs GPP has her LTC, carries regularly. Has written instructions in regards with what to do with said collection in the case of my untimely demise.

GPPs 23 year old son is a USMC veteran, he has a CAR, among some other neat things he obtained in Afghanistan. He also obtained his LTC upon getting discharged from The Suck after his 4 year hitch. GPP was pretty excited knowing his awesome collection (to him anyways lol) was ultimately going to his son and grandson.

GPPs son spent 29 days of July 2016 in the locked section of the Brockton VAs mental ward,the first 12 of those were in 4 point restraints. His LTC was revoked, there was no bother with the suspension first. I will be the first guy in line telling you that my son has zero business carrying a gun. It sucks, but its also reality.

There are 4 NES guys that have either borrowed, rented, or leased some of my "collection" since last summer. My safe contains the very basics now, and Im ok with that, because I know that if I were to die tomorrow, the last thing Mrs GPP needs to worry about is how to sell my SPAS, and what its worth.

So no, I dont have published statistics, I just have real life experience. Just because you think youve made the proper arrangements for your gun collection once you perish doesnt mean its gonna actually go that way. Ive witnessed it enough times to realize my own "plans" would be ignored for the easiest and most painless way out for those left behind, and acted accordingly.

Your results may vary.

That does not negate my point. Even if the tip came from an offspring, it is still the case of a tip for a storage violation being used to justify a search.

I'm very familiar with the drivers license thing. In fact, the police were called on my wife when she took my MILs driver car keys. Police explained "you can't do that, those keys are her property", and then filed a report to have the driving license pulled. In the case of a DL, if the elderly person does not cooperate, the family has to pawn it off on the cops or an MD.

As to revocaction ahead of confiscation. A revocation is not a search warrant. The subject is required to surrender all guns and extra killy mags, but is not required to permit entry or a search. If I was served with a revocation seizure, I would politely say that I am not allowing the police in my house but will bring all guns unloaded and in cases to the doorstep to comply with the order. I would take the scopes off the guns when possible to do so quickly, but I would not play any cute games like holing back a gun as that is a sure way to make the mess even worse.

That doesnt negate a point that was based on pure speculation? Unless we read different articles dude.

That doesnt negate a point that was based on pure speculation? Unless we read different articles dude.
I must be missing something or reading a different article. The article I read says his home was searched because of a credible report of guns lying around. I suppose one could consider accepting a newspaper report as "speculation" given the inaccuracy of many articles.

I must be missing something or reading a different article. The article I read says his home was searched because of a credible report of guns lying around. I suppose one could consider accepting a newspaper report as "speculation" given the inaccuracy of many articles.

Im not aware of any warrantless searches that Im allowed to conduct due to "credible reports of guns lying around" , are you?

Exigent circumstances? Doesnt really seem it here, does it? The attached article certainly doesnt lean that way, at least in my eye.

Fresh and continued pursuit? Again, the article doesnt really offer that up either.

I think we are left with either " Consent", or an actual search warrant.

The newspaper is just doing what they do, making as much as they can out of as few of the actual facts presented. They are indeed speculating, my opinion anyways.
You, are helping them.

As stated here before.......Assuming there are no other issues at play here (article would certainly have pointed out any threats to others from the old dude)......hell even the police state there was not threat........Why could the Leo's not just help the old guy out. "Sir are you aware of the storage laws in this state?......Let's make sure you get these in a closet and lock it up". Have a nice day.

If all that was at play here was storage why not just help him? But no.......Confiscate and let the old man deal with the court of public opinion. It's bullshit.

I was considering an old Belgium Browning A-5 shotty. I hear those things will keep firing every time you pull the trigger, until you deplete the 3 or 5 shells. [shocked] Glad I passed on the A-5. That's the crown jewel on top of pile of evil rifles in that guy's truck. Looks like an old side-by-side too, which could fire two shells at the same time! Looks like some military grade stuff too- perhaps some type of Mauser? And that lever gun- if you practice enough they are almost as fast as a full auto. OK, done with the sarcasm...

Not knowing what the 'ordnance shells' actually were (dummies maybe?), the rifles look like a stack of C&R stuff and Fudd guns. Not exactly scary stuff. Sad that a 65 year old guy can't have his guns around the house without getting a raid. Very few states that would have made a big deal over this unless the shells were 'live'.

Police say there is no public safety threat and detectives are reviewing the case to see if there is any criminal wrongdoing.

Minority Report?

Point of order.....That's a remmy model 11 not a Belgium browning.......The mag cut of is not on the left side of the receiver [smile]

Cracks me up how some of you guys immediately blame this shit on the cops. You think Cohasset PD actively went after this guy, but havent filed charges? Maybe, just maybe, it was brought to the PDs attention in some other fashion.

My first thought was that someone from outside the home had to go in there for maybe a repair or a visit or a delivery person who might have peeked through the window and then you hear it all the time..."you see something, say something". And this guy gets ratted out. I wish to hell he had trigger locks on every single one. I hate the law about safe storage. But it is what it is and this guy would still have his LTC......maybe.

Some liberal was probably walking door to door with their kid selling cookies and noticed a gun on the wall when the guy opened his door, which lead to this disaster. Wait until the AG starts reviewing the registry list and issuing raids.
View attachment 195978

On a lighter note I saw a pile of guns in the back of a pickup as said earlier, mostly older shotguns and rifles that were taken, Channel 5 news reported them being weapons, I suppose they could be used as weapons, I only saw an old collection. So since I don't golf if anyone sees anyone driving around with golf clubs in there vehicle or unsecured in there home or garage they should call the police, they could be used as weapons.

Cracks me up how some of you guys immediately blame this shit on the cops. You think Cohasset PD actively went after this guy, but havent filed charges? Maybe, just maybe, it was brought to the PDs attention in some other fashion.

Would you concede the pile of guns in the back of the truck PR moment was a bit over the top?
Stuff like this is the very reason I don't let many people in my house and when I do their movement is limited.
My old furnace guy was a family friend and hunter. He knew where the spare key was.
Now he's retired and the new guy goes in the through the bulked.
I really don't want to be the next photo op with my "Arsenal" and uber killy sword collection tossed in the back of a truck for the press.

Sounds like the cable guy came to install new internet service and saw a couple old guns propped up in the corners, and the display shells, then the cable felt obligated to report it. That's my guess.
Guy is 65, I'm guessing some do-gooder medical professional came to the house... or just an angry liberal family member.

I'm still pissed that they confiscated everything, ruined this guy's life, destroyed his collection because of a storage complaint for a old guy living on his own. (So no worries about real "unauthorized access")....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As stated here before.......Assuming there are no other issues at play here (article would certainly have pointed out any threats to others from the old dude)......hell even the police state there was not threat........Why could the Leo's not just help the old guy out. "Sir are you aware of the storage laws in this state?......Let's make sure you get these in a closet and lock it up". Have a nice day.

If all that was at play here was storage why not just help him? But no.......Confiscate and let the old man deal with the court of public opinion. It's bullshit.

This is why people blame the police and have problems with them and say they are not your friend. They could have simply told him to buy a container immediately and helped him stay within the confusing, moronic laws of this fxcking state. I mean over 65 years old and how much taxes had he paid to Cohasset over the years (assuming he lived there a while). If he had a valid LTC sounds like there weren't any issues with him. Give the guy a break and help him out.....oh no we have to be jackboots and steal his shit.

In 90 percent of the country he was totally legal.....so 90 percent of the country are just viewing the cops as total a$$holes in this case.

Congrats...cops.... your big 2 dozen gun "take down" got in the paper. Your hero's.

And the other thing is, I know chiefs in MA that would have just helped the guy out and went on their way. So don't give me any crap about having to adhere to the laws. When police start acting with common sense then the public might actually have their back.

Last edited:
Guy is 65, I'm guessing some do-gooder medical professional came to the house... or just an angry liberal family member.

I'm still pissed that they confiscated everything, ruined this guy's life, destroyed his collection because of a storage complaint for a old guy living on his own. (So no worries about real "unauthorized access")....

IMHO that could have been handled in a number of better ways.
Now you have a guy who's going to be a very bitter and angry person for the rest of his days.
I don't think the guy will ever trust anyone again either.
If it was family that dimed him out , he's probably going to disown them .
That and I think you can take his name off the call list for donations to the Patrolman's assoc.

Last edited:
You still need a warrant to enter the premises and search. Suspended or revoked LTC is not enough to allow the cops to kick your door in, but feel free to barf out Spewdries like some others.

Hey, I wasn't saying what happened; I wasn't there. I was only speculating along the lines that another poster brought up. The article doesn't say whether he was "talked" into allowing them onto his premises, or whether there was an actual search warrant, or maybe the cops spied the guns through the window when they came to tell him about the revocation, and claimed exigent circumstances. I don't know.

The article says that they are "reviewing the case" to decide whether there was any criminal wrongdoing. I do wonder, if there is no wrongdoing found, whether the old guy will get his LTC and personal property back.

I spy an AR-looking pistol grip in the bottom right of one of the pics... wassat? No corresponding stocks.

Wondering if he says "Go get a warrant" can the chief say "Oh, really? LTC revoked, no warrant needed!"..?

Maybe we will all find out that in addition to losing your 5th amendment rights by being an LTC holder we lose our 4th amendment rights as well.

The article says that they are "reviewing the case" to decide whether there was any criminal wrongdoing. I do wonder, if there is no wrongdoing found, whether the old guy will get his LTC and personal property back.

Sure he will after he pays the thousand dollars a day storage fees and the twenty Grand of legal costs he's free to get anything back that they don't decide is too dangerous. And I'm sure most of the evidence marks and handling marks from tossing the back of a pickup truck will buff right out

Would you concede the pile of guns in the back of the truck PR moment was a bit over the top?
Stuff like this is the very reason I don't let many people in my house and when I do their movement is limited.
My old furnace guy was a family friend and hunter. He knew where the spare key was.
Now he's retired and the new guy goes in the through the bulked.
I really don't want to be the next photo op with my "Arsenal" and uber killy sword collection tossed in the back of a truck for the press.

The picture was way over the top, no question, but weve certainly seen worse havent we? No police patches, no carefully arranged displays of rounds and magazines etc. Youd think a small town PD like Cohasset certainly would have exploited this nefarious old codger for real hero status, right? When was the last time the MSP didnt forage into the limelight jamming their 2 tone blue down our throats while pointing out their awesomeness?

You have a pile of fowling pieces in the back of a pick up truck.

You ever wonder what might happen if you or your spouse dialed 911 for a medical emergency on your behalf? A small battalion of people show up, especially in a high dollar town like Cohassett. LTC holder gets taken out of the home, Mrs LTC holder rides in the ambulance leaving the cops to secure the home etc.

There are a gazillion possible scenarios here

The picture was way over the top, no question, but weve certainly seen worse havent we? No police patches, no carefully arranged displays of rounds and magazines etc. Youd think a small town PD like Cohasset certainly would have exploited this nefarious old codger for real hero status, right? When was the last time the MSP didnt forage into the limelight jamming their 2 tone blue down our throats while pointing out their awesomeness?

You have a pile of fowling pieces in the back of a pick up truck.

You ever wonder what might happen if you or your spouse dialed 911 for a medical emergency on your behalf? A small battalion of people show up, especially in a high dollar town like Cohassett. LTC holder gets taken out of the home, Mrs LTC holder rides in the ambulance leaving the cops to secure the home etc.

There are a gazillion possible scenarios here

We have actually discussed that scenario and taken measures for that kind of situation.
Certain doors get locked ect.

You ever wonder what might happen if you or your spouse dialed 911 for a medical emergency on your behalf?

Remember the poor bastard that called 911 with a heart attack while cleaning his guns? PD searched his house and tried to charge him over the unsecured firearms he was cleaning. Can't remember if that case was dropped. But it shows how dickish some PDs and prosecutors can be over literally nothing.

So they executed a search warrant on an LTC holder who was home inventorying and cleaning his collection!

Interesting post, I was wondering when/if the wherabouts of the 65 year old would be mentioned.

I havent seen a thing about where he was/is/had been while all this was taking place. There are myriad possibilities.

In the hospital
In jail
On a singles cruise
Dead
etc
etc
etc

When or even if this aspect of this case is released, it would probably shed quite a bit of light on it.
Ive noticed that the MSM that have actually picked up this story have oddly left the homeowners whereabouts out of their breaking NEWS. My guess is because its gonna be quite anti climactic.

Back
Top Bottom