• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns, Military Shells Seized From Cohasset Home

Interesting post, I was wondering when/if the wherabouts of the 65 year old would be mentioned.

I havent seen a thing about where he was/is/had been while all this was taking place. There are myriad possibilities.

In the hospital
In jail
On a singles cruise
Dead
etc
etc
etc

When or even if this aspect of this case is released, it would probably shed quite a bit of light on it.
Ive noticed that the MSM that have actually picked up this story have oddly left the homeowners whereabouts out of their breaking NEWS. My guess is because its gonna be quite anti climactic.

Point is who cares where he was. In every other state in the country his front door is enough to secure his fire arms. As it should be. Only in mass do we criminalize a home owner for POTENTIAL theft of his or her own property that is located within their own house!

It's fuc€king insane.

Last edited:
Only in mass do we criminalize a home owner for POTENTIAL theft of his or her own property that is located within their own house!

It's fuc€king insane.

It is not about potential theft. It is about potential access by children or other unauthorized person. You can legally leave your guns littered around your house as long as they have trigger locks on them. That does nothing to prevent theft but prevents unauthorized USE. It is still total bullsh*t, but lets get the insane rationale correct.

It is not about potential theft. It is about potential access by children or other unauthorized person. You can legally leave your guns littered around your house as long as they have trigger locks on them. That does nothing to prevent theft but prevents unauthorized USE. It is still total bullsh*t, but lets get the insane rationale correct.

An unauthorized person gaining access is theft my comments are dead on accurate......Let's not say "it's for the children".....That's the antis go to argument.

this man lives alone in a house with no children. How is his front door not enough to keep unauthorized people from access. ....Even children.

Last edited:
Point is who cares where he was. In every other state in the country his front door is enough to secure his fire arms. As it should be. Only in mass do we criminalize a home owner for POTENTIAL theft of his or her own property that is located within their own house!

It's fuc€king insane.

Actually, the gents whereabouts are quite key in this scenario.
The cops were notified/tipped/ off by some do gooder, I would suggest to you that had the home owner been home, and physically and mentally able to take care of his belongings, this thread wouldnt be here.
I dont believe the guy got charged with anything, so nothing has been criminalized yet.

Greg nailed it. Who the **** brought this to the attention of the PD?

No, and neither is the douche that called them.

A. Guy does nothing wrong.
B. Cops steal his legally owned property from his OWN HOME and revoke his LTC. [rolleyes]

Ya, blanket party for the DB that dime'd him seems in order.

Funny how stuff like this makes it into the papers. So much for innocent until proven guilty.

I think logs of police activity are public, and regularly perused by local reporters.

No doubt calls are placed by "sources" when a juicy arrest make the department look good story hits the logs. I knew some folks in a city department that would be gifted sports event tickets for such calls. All off the books of course. And if they did not do it, there were others that would. All the media outlets were trying to get the breaking stories. All about viewership and advertising. sort of like insider trading

Last edited:
I think logs of police activity are public, and regularly perused by local reporters.

Papers nowadays barely, if ever, report on 5 time McThugginugget getting arrested for possession while committing a new one man crime wave anymore. But grandpa's shotgun collection being seized is front page news.

How does a judge sign a search warrant to search for something he is licensed to possess?
I've seen a search warrant signed by a judge becuse a shell casing was visible in a car parked on a college campus .... despite the fact that carry on one's person is banned but storage in a car on campus is legal. The judge accepted the police declaration storage of a gun in a car was a crime, and issued warrant based on credible evidence the person might be engaging in legal activity (the driver was known to have an LTC).

An unauthorized person gaining access is theft my comments are dead on accurate......Let's not say "it's for the children".....That's the antis go to argument.

this man lives alone in a house with no children. How is his front door not enough to keep unauthorized people from access. ....Even children.
Sadly we need laws to keep people from leaving guns where a child that shouldn't be handling them can get their hands on them. Until people stop giving birth to idiots we will need laws for safe storage of firearms just like we need them for not leaving your kid in a car on a hot day. I do believe that if not for the storage law that there would be more people leaving loaded guns out where kids can access them. If you think it's your right to do just that and you have no responsibility to safely store firearms then we disagree.

Sadly we need laws to keep people from leaving guns where a child that shouldn't be handling them can get their hands on them. Until people stop giving birth to idiots we will need laws for safe storage of firearms just like we need them for not leaving your kid in a car on a hot day.
If that is the case, we also need laws requiring that prescription drugs, household cleaners, and power tools be locked up even if you are a retiree in a 55+ housing complex with no kids in the home.

Sadly we need laws to keep people from leaving guns where a child that shouldn't be handling them can get their hands on them. Until people stop giving birth to idiots we will need laws for safe storage of firearms just like we need them for not leaving your kid in a car on a hot day. I do believe that if not for the storage law that there would be more people leaving loaded guns out where kids can access them. If you think it's your right to do just that and you have no responsibility to safely store firearms then we disagree.

Oh damn. Just.....Wow. do you realize the multitudes more children that are injured by poorly stored household chemicals in a given year than are injured by fire arms? Why no laws on house hold chemicals? Because those are not ickey scary guns that people should not own......According to the moonbat soccer moms that propose and support storage laws. You are a poster child for the moms demand action group.........They'd love to have a gun owner like you

- - - Updated - - -

If that is the case, we also need laws requiring that prescription drugs, household cleaners, and power tools be locked up even if you are a retiree in a 55+ housing complex with no kids in the home.

This!

Last edited:
How does a judge sign a search warrant to search for something he is licensed to possess? (Yeah I know cause guns; but really?)

I wonder if the "military grade shells" was the trigger?

Bob

From the article; "The bomb squad examined the shells and requested that the U.S. Navy take them."

Which means they were inert. Metal tubes, nothing more.

Reading between the lines and adding a good dose of speculation, it could be that the guy was developing some degree of Alzheimer's or other dementia, and the guy's adult children (who were not licensed and not "gun people") felt the best course of action was to get the PD involved to help deal with the firearms in the home.

As stated here before.......Assuming there are no other issues at play here (article would certainly have pointed out any threats to others from the old dude)......hell even the police state there was not threat........Why could the Leo's not just help the old guy out. "Sir are you aware of the storage laws in this state?......Let's make sure you get these in a closet and lock it up". Have a nice day.

If all that was at play here was storage why not just help him? But no.......Confiscate and let the old man deal with the court of public opinion. It's bullshit.

Reading between the lines and adding a good dose of speculation, it could be that the guy was developing some degree of Alzheimer's or other dementia, and the guy's adult children (who were not licensed and not "gun people") felt the best course of action was to get the PD involved to help deal with the firearms in the home.
Quite possible, however the central lesson remains - credible reports of unsecured, but licensed, guns is sufficient for a search warrant in this state.

If that's the case help your relative take the collection to a gun store and sell them rather than let the PO PO confiscate.

Published?

No. No I dont have published statistics. They dont exist, at least in the reality I exist in.

I will though, give some personal experience, you can take it any way youd like.

Ive been a full time LEO for 28+ years.

I have built a nice collection of various firearms since 1986, as I am a " gun guy".

Mrs GPP has her LTC, carries regularly. Has written instructions in regards with what to do with said collection in the case of my untimely demise.

GPPs 23 year old son is a USMC veteran, he has a CAR, among some other neat things he obtained in Afghanistan. He also obtained his LTC upon getting discharged from The Suck after his 4 year hitch. GPP was pretty excited knowing his awesome collection (to him anyways lol) was ultimately going to his son and grandson.

GPPs son spent 29 days of July 2016 in the locked section of the Brockton VAs mental ward,the first 12 of those were in 4 point restraints. His LTC was revoked, there was no bother with the suspension first. I will be the first guy in line telling you that my son has zero business carrying a gun. It sucks, but its also reality.

There are 4 NES guys that have either borrowed, rented, or leased some of my "collection" since last summer. My safe contains the very basics now, and Im ok with that, because I know that if I were to die tomorrow, the last thing Mrs GPP needs to worry about is how to sell my SPAS, and what its worth.

So no, I dont have published statistics, I just have real life experience. Just because you think youve made the proper arrangements for your gun collection once you perish doesnt mean its gonna actually go that way. Ive witnessed it enough times to realize my own "plans" would be ignored for the easiest and most painless way out for those left behind, and acted accordingly.

Your results may vary.

Bottom line nothing is certain. You plan and do what you believe is for the best and you control what you can, but once your race is run you can only hope you've done enough to prepare for the eventualities. No statistics just old family values.

Responsible people secure their firearms (and other potentially dangerous items like bleach) from persons that are not competent to handle them. The laws that you believe are "needed" are more likely used to jam up people that are doing nothing wrong. How many people were injured by the guy in the OP's stuff? None. How is that a hazard?

I'd say, "Who made you arbiter of what's safe and/or responsible," but from your post, I can tell. You're someone that believes that "reasonable restrictions" are a good thing. And you are the one that knows what's reasonable. Thanks for looking out for all the adults, who can't be trusted to do what's right in their own situations. Remember....it's probably unlawful for an LTC holder that lives alone to leave a firearm on their bedside table while they sleep. Thanks for your concern for others' welfare.

Last edited:
I always said it was the bullets that killed, not the guns.

It's so much easier to just lock up the ammo.

Then all that would be laying around is basically a bunch of metal pipes.

I don't agree with any laws written about storing your firearms.
It's just another way to take away someones constitutional right.
Which in this state is more like a privilege with a whole mess of loosely worded strings attached!

Your house, your rules!
I will say the same about leaving your firearm in your car.
Why do I have to lock it up inside my locked up vehicle?
The thieves are the problem, not my possessions. Lock them up for taking a firearm!

Now I do believe in locking them up for the safety of those in my home.
Last thing I would want is for someone visiting my house to have access to any without my permission!

Has a criminal or prohibited person ever been charged and actually had jail time added due to a storage violation?

Last edited:

Don't spread your statist FUDD nanny-state poison bullshit here.
Explain to me why my kids, who have been exposed to firearms since they could hold them up, knew (and know) better than to unsafely handle them.
Explain to me how they have managed to survive with loaded pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammunition all strewn around our cabin in NH, yet never as much as anything worse than slide rash. No trigger locks! Leaning against a wall! Being shot off my front porch! Clearing and cleaning them on the kitchen table....and LEAVING THEM OUT OVERNIGHT! A true liberal nightmare, it could have gone off right on the table! Tragedy barely avoided.

Your post disgusts me. Take and put some responsibility on people. If YOU can't teach YOUR kids responsibility, YOU can locke YOUR stuff up. Keep your inadequacies off my rights, and leave it to me to CHOOSE if/when/how I secure my firearms, pool shock, car keys, and kitchen cleaners. Stop normalizing legislating to the lowest common denominator

Don't put your inadequacies against my freedom.

Now it's up to "100 guns" and call in the bomb squad from two dozen rifles...

http://cohasset.wickedlocal.com/new...nd-5-military-grade-shells-from-doane-st-home

Somebody's Gramps probably taking inventory for his will. The old guy was probably picking up his heart meds at the pharmacy.

How many LGS have you been to where rifles are left on racks after hours with the shop locked.

At fire-sale costs of $150 each, they stole over 15k from this guy....

If the govt. owns my house and I only have transferable lease on the property.
Tell them the toilets clogged and to come over and fix it!

They also owe me a boat load of money for paying the electric bill, heating bill, insurance and maintaining their house![rofl]

Back
Top Bottom